Auto transmission question

BuffPath

Hey guys! I have been experiencing a strange sound that is coming from under the car where the driver and passenger seats are. It sounds like thin metal dragging on the ground or thin metal dragging across a spinning shaft. Only does it when in gear but not in P or N. Also, when I rev a little in P, it comes back. It's not loud but loud enough to hear it with open windows. No problems with the transmission at all. It shifts very smoothly. Please let me know if I need to worry... Thanks!

This is just about for sure your heat sheild on your cat converter, trust me I have the same thing and it only does it after a little bit of driving, and when in drive, or reverse

Before you drive it one morning, get on the ground, on the drivers side right at the back part of the door, and look for your catalytic converter (there should be two "bulbs" in the exhaust piping, first is the cat, 2nd is the muffler) Your cat should have a kinda of metal grate with a bunch of holes in it for heat dissipation, push on this on the ends, if it moves a fair bit, thats probably your issue.

Another spot that may be rattling, is the exhaust pipe from the passenger side, before it meets up with the other side, there is a heat shield basically in the center underneath your truck (side to side) and about right behind the front wheels (front to back) that may be loose, it is held on by a U bolt deal, which you can probably tighten to fix the noise

Edited by OldSlowReliable