Pitman Arm Question

Precise1

Precise,

I always look forward to your escapades with your truck. They always seem to be the worst case scenario. (seems to remember similar great times with some universal joints a few years back) It helps me to understand how difficult the job could be if Murphy is on site. Keep up the good work!.. Or shall I say keep up the nearly impossible, This Mother#$# POS SOB Work. LOL

Mark

And does anyone have any idea why Energy Suspension front sway bar links are so much longer than stock?? I recall someone else mentioning the same thing. I can't see how it hurts anything (other than the bushings not aligning perfectly with the end eyelets). Is this a semi universal kit or something?? :shrug:

Frontend001.jpg

B

They are a universal kit, you can trim down the spacer if it causes any troubles being that long.

Precise,

I always look forward to your escapades with your truck. They always seem to be the worst case scenario. (seems to remember similar great times with some universal joints a few years back) It helps me to understand how difficult the job could be if Murphy is on site. Keep up the good work!.. Or shall I say keep up the nearly impossible, This Mother#$# POS SOB Work. LOL

Mark

LOL Yeah, I've had my share of... 'challenges'... ;)

The timing belt, etc job went rather smoothly other than taking a long time. No leaks and everything correct first try. So far, of course. Perhaps I just jinxed myself... :D

They are a universal kit, you can trim down the spacer if it causes any troubles being that long.

That's what I figured. I might take off 1/2 an inch one of these lunch breaks just to get the bushings to seat more flush...

Thanks.

B

Did you replace the other bushings as well, i.e. the ones on the frame? I've got a spare set I can snail mail if you want'em. I over ordered because I was told only one came per package but there was actually two per package. Not worth the effort to return them.

What kind of upgrade are you doing to the steering? Curious for my possible future works.

I replaced the notorious compression rod (aka strut rod) bushings with PE ones, Rough Country UCAs with PE bushings, all 4 tie rods, and installed a HooHaa (grassroots4x4) centerlink. The PO replaced 2 of the ball joints (can't remember which ones) so all that hasn't been replaced is one set of ball joints and the LCA bushings. I was going to install an idler arm brace, but the Calmini unit wouldn't even bolt up. I have the rebuild parts for the idler arm, but it didn't need it yet; I set them aside. A life time alignment at Firestone and it was about $700 to redo almost everything.

I'm just in the process of grinding down the washers to the centerlink so the castle nuts will line up with the cotter pin holes when torqued correctly. The only issue I have had (other than removing the pitman arm) is that to line up the nuts properly, I had to overtorque the spherical bearings. binding them. :shrug:

Thanks for the offer, but I should be set for years. Yeah, I ordered two also, not realizing they came in sets. Good thing Steevo only had one set in stock... :D

B

OH man, i know the topic is no longer pitman arm....

but when lifting my buddys Jeep with him this summer we broke 3 pitman arm pullers. Those things are ridiculous to get off.

for help if anybody later is in the same boat, we took a long chisel, and hammered it in between the pitman arm, and the steel above it, which helped to wedge it.

Liquid wrench, and a hammer on the bottom of the puller is what eventually got it to work. Fun stuff. haha

Sounds like fun. I ran into similar but milder fun with my idler arm. I just left pitman the hell alone at that point. :) Ditto on the ES swaybar bushing kit when I swapped them plus most of the front suspension. I also ended up doing the crowbar and pull method, but they eventually lined up and have been good for several years now. Ever the precision guy, I just have to imagine you cringing at some of the redneck ingenuity the rest of us come up with. ;)

I just left pitman the hell alone at that point.

This I understand, I have been forced there before this particular incident.

Ever the precision guy, I just have to imagine you cringing at some of the redneck ingenuity the rest of us come up with.

There is always something(s) helpful and/or I have forgotten or not considered, but yeah, there is a fair share of cringing, wincing and flinching too... :D

It's all good.

B