Moab shutting down?!

Tungsten

Stupid.

Just like the folks who want cheap, reliable electricity but don't want power lines or power plants anywhere near them. How is it supposed to get there ? Magic ?

Local utility and city govt made a presentation at my neighborhood association the other day. All the power lines and equipment are being upgraded. As part of the process, they have to cut 2 trees that are leaning on power equipment and regularly cause localized blackouts. They will plant new ones to compensate for the cut ones. But the morons around here are putting chains around the trees and holding signs saying,"Save our trees". Really ? You WANT blackouts when it's 100 degrees in the shade or 5 degrees at midday ? 2 new trees won't make up for it ?

Then a resident got up and asked if the utility could use a light-colored magic marker instead of the "very visible bright paint" on the "Construction Ahead" signs...

*sigh* This is what we're up against. If this trend continues, eventually you will only be able to wheel on private land.

*sigh* This is what we're up against. If this trend continues, eventually you will only be able to wheel on private land.

There is also a trend up here in Canada to ban motorized vehicles in sensitive natural areas. Beyond that, it is also popular to decommission logging roads and skidder roads that are no longer used. I'm guessing that we'll see additional restrictions on snowmobiles as racing to the top causes avalanches and snowmobilers can effectively harass game to death.

I'm curious: Is wheeling on private land growing in popularity in the USA? There is certainly a strong trend towards the privatization of public sport fisheries and the de facto privatization of many hunting territories that were once available to the public in the USA.

There's actually a compromise solution that would allow folks to continue to wheel on public natural areas but I doubt it would be at all popular with American wheelers.

all I can say is "Welcome to Michigan"

This same junk happened here, 20 years ago michigan had great wheeling, 2 tracks all around and you can wheel like you want.....

Now, you can't go on ANY two tracks, even if they are labled as being ORV trails.....and the only wheeling is either private land (which they still harass about mudbogs) private ORV parks (which one that just opened is being harassed by the local community gov't) or MAYBE the occasional DNR sanctioned two track which are few and far between and rapidly closing....

It sucks, but there isn't much we can do....people don't realize that 90% of wheelers aren't ripping up trails and tearing land to shreds.

Tree huggers...

I actually noticed, alteast in my area.....that its not so much the 'tree hugging democrats' cause infact I am way far from republican....but more the 40-60 republicans who interpret wheelers as being teenagers with no regard for rules or the environment....

It sucks, but there isn't much we can do....people don't realize that 90% of wheelers aren't ripping up trails and tearing land to shreds.

Actually there is. But it would require a radical change in mind-set that may never come about.

To begin with, wheelers would have to recognize the difference between Open Access and access rules on the one hand, and freedom on the other hand. They are not the same.

In my town (Outer Banks), the tree huggers and the republicans have come to the mutual agreement to only shut down the beach driving access During the summer months only to reopen on Labor Day. They do this because of the flood of tourists here and it makes sense because so many drunk assholes would just drive around on the beach killing people on a normal summer night... Remember the tree huggers ALWAYS win so just start thinking of a way both sides can have their cake and eat it too.

corovaapril09033.jpg

One thing though:

Most of the law enforcement in Utah is on the four wheelers side of things (one story I'v read had a sherif giving a ticket to somebody for trying to stop someone from wheeling on their private property). So even if this does pass good luck on anyone enforcing it.

Local utility and city govt made a presentation at my neighborhood association the other day. All the power lines and equipment are being upgraded. As part of the process, they have to cut 2 trees that are leaning on power equipment and regularly cause localized blackouts. They will plant new ones to compensate for the cut ones. But the morons around here are putting chains around the trees and holding signs saying,"Save our trees". Really ? You WANT blackouts when it's 100 degrees in the shade or 5 degrees at midday ? 2 new trees won't make up for it ?

Hey Jaya, I have a pair of heavyduty bolt cutters & a bigass chainsaw, what say you & I go cut those 2 trees down?...

Even if you move offroading to privately owned land that means absoluely jack squat in the US. Many people don't know it but here in the US there is a law that prohibits land owners from touching there land if the EPA deems it to be a sancturary for rare, indangered or migratory animals. Which means, if you find an animal, repltile or amphibian that falls under one of those categories then you're better off killing it & not telling anyone its there, so the goverment doesn't come onto your land & tell you what you can or can not do there. Which is a shame for both you & the animal. Most animals will adapt to the envioroment, those that don't are weak & die off. At some point in time we, human beings, will not be able to adapt & so we, human beings, will cease to be any longer & something else will take our place. Its called biology.

Tellico was privately owned as well, if I am not mistaken, & Goddamned-aging-tree hugging-ignorant ass-want to save the world-hippies were able to get it shut down. Let me say this, I'll be damned if the goveremnt/goverment agencies or any law enforcement will come onto my property (when I finally get some) & tell me that I can't drive the hell out of my R50 on there or that I can't build a metal fordge on my own property or that I can't cut down a tree if I want to on my property (which I actually like a really wooded living area) or that I can't hunt/fish on my own property.