r50 headers

morpheus

I spent a lot of time today searching/researching headers for the pathfinder

I found that no one makes headers for the R50 (stillen used to, but they discontinued them)

So I went in search of alternatives.

Found out that the VG33 in the path, frontier and xterra all have the same exhaust port setup, but the manifold setup from the pathy and the frontier/xterra are a lot different.

What was interesting, is I found out that the port setup in the VG30 is exactly the same as the VG33. In fact, I found a lot of information VG30 owners swapping VG33 heads for a performance increase (a different topic) The only difference between the VG30 and VG33 heads (as far as exhaust port setup) is the VG33 has bigger exhaust studs.

Originally I thought I might be stuck modifying a set for a frontier/xterra, but this new piece of information opens all the WD21's, 300ZX etc.. headers, which everyone seems to make.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of anyone trying this at all? I found lots of guys talking about it, but no one actually doing it.

So I'm looking at these wondering if they'll work:

9f_1_b.JPG

They're listed for a 300zx, and I may have to adjust the collector angle/setup, but now it's got me thinking....

does anyone know anyone who has done this successfully?

That's very interesting. I didn't realize that the exhaust ports stayed the same between the 3.0 and 3.3. I was contemplating making my own set out of a universal kit and now that I might be able to buy some pre-cut exhaust flanges (for say a 300zx), it would make things much more easier. I even have a set of stock replacements to make a jig out of. Removing the cats would also greatly simplify things.

As for the ones you posted, it looks like you would have to adjust it for sure but most of the work is already done anyway.

I had a chance to see a set of headers for a WD21 off the rack and I compared the set up to the manifolds in the R50 and the difference was not worth the effort for me. The flange appears to have the same bolt pattern to match the head, so there is little issue there. The major issue was the angle of the collector to connect to the first set of Cats. A local muffler shop had stated that the work required to get the angle right would probably be as much if not more than the cost of a custom set.

Where I did not/do not have access to a welder, the cost was not worth the attempt & down time required. I believe that if you move forward, you will be the first with headers except for the few who have the Stillen models!

Good Luck, post back results!

So, I should be looking for a set of NA 300zx headers? The ports have the same positioning and the dump angle is the same? The only thing that needs modifying are the stud holes? isn't that as simple as reaming out the holes to accept bigger studs?

Edited by new4x4r

So, I should be looking for a set of NA 300zx headers? The ports have the same positioning and the dump angle is the same? The only thing that needs modifying are the stud holes? isn't that as simple as reaming out the holes to accept bigger studs?

No I'm pretty sure the dump angle is not the same and that's what would need modifying. This is judging by the picture posted though

really? I had a quick look at the angle on mine. It seems to have the same 45 at the back, just before the flange. But it was just a quick look. Here is the place I have bought some stuff of off (for another car I had). There stuff seems to be decent, especially for the price. It looks to have the same angle on it as the pic posted above though.

ssauto300zxheader.jpg

The place is called ssautochrome.com

I had a chance to see a set of headers for a WD21 off the rack and I compared the set up to the manifolds in the R50 and the difference was not worth the effort for me. The flange appears to have the same bolt pattern to match the head, so there is little issue there. The major issue was the angle of the collector to connect to the first set of Cats. A local muffler shop had stated that the work required to get the angle right would probably be as much if not more than the cost of a custom set.

Where I did not/do not have access to a welder, the cost was not worth the attempt & down time required. I believe that if you move forward, you will be the first with headers except for the few who have the Stillen models!

Good Luck, post back results!

See, I figured I would get 2 high flow cats and simply mount them back a little furthur. And if the angle on the collector was off, I also figured I could sawsall if off about 3-4 inches up, and modify as required and then weld it back into place.

It would probably mean installing the header, tack welding in place, removing manifold, and then properly welding, then re-coating the header. Then I could just have a custom front pipe bent for each side, install the high flow converter ( I'll still have to be able to pass emissions) and continue off into a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler.

It'll probably be a while before I do this, I've started to develop the cold weather start manifold leak, so I know it'll have to be done eventually, I'm just researching at the moment.

Well, I found this guy doing a VG30 to VG33 swap in his WD21:

http://nissannut.com/maintenance/vg33e_upgrade/

I found him in a thread talking about bolting his VG30 pacesetter headers up to his new VG33 he's swapping in and them fitting. (with pics)

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/...c=6539.msg81692

now this is getting interesting....

Edited by morpheus

Well, I found this guy doing a VG30 to VG33 swap in his WD21:

http://nissannut.com/maintenance/vg33e_upgrade/

I found him in a thread talking about bolting his VG30 pacesetter headers up to his new VG33 he's swapping in and them fitting. (with pics)

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/...c=6539.msg81692

now this is getting interesting....

yeah, the headers will fit on the VG33, but from what I've read its the space in the R50 engine bay that is different. IIRC there is either and accessory or something else in the way of the crossover pipe or somesuch item.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes yes it is all super tight.

These are a great starting point for a shop to finish them into fitting your R50...I (when I had my 98) was quite interested in having this done.

The reason it was lacking eral interest from me was "Dernt" he actually had his rig dynoyed with the Stillen headers and only found a few ponies with them on vs them off. I believe he did have OE finishing exhaust but for the money I would be searching the possible S/C options for the VG33e.