electric fans, what temp to have them turn on?

nmpath

I put some electric fans off of an 07 Acura TL, and they seem to cool it fine but I was wondering what temperature you guys would recommend to have them come on? One fan comes on with the AC, and the other one is on a temp switch that is currently for 207, but I am worried this may be too hot. Thanks

Have it come on at 195°. Depending on what temperature thermostat you have, the engine generally will run below 190° when the weather is cool. When the weather is hot, and my A/C is running, it seems like my truck runs about 100° to 110° hotter than the outside temperature.

i set mine to turn on when the thermostat opens.

At highway speeds, the air moving through the radiator without fans pulling it through may be sufficient to cool the engine while the thermostat is open. Running the fan may be unnecessary under those circumstances.

I put some electric fans off of an 07 Acura TL, and they seem to cool it fine but I was wondering what temperature you guys would recommend to have them come on? One fan comes on with the AC, and the other one is on a temp switch that is currently for 207, but I am worried this may be too hot. Thanks

I usually set mine to kick on at 180, off at 160..that's how I had my Nova set up.

I think the pathfinder has a 180 degree thermostat stock, I wouldn't want them to come on that early or the fans would never turn off in the summer and it would never reach normal operating temperature in the winter. I was looking for a 195 to 200 degree switch but I was too impatient to order one so I bought one in town for some chevy. Napa said it would come on between 200 and 212 and it comes on at 207 which is a little higher then I wanted, but it doesn't turn off till 180. The factory water temp gauge never goes above the halfway mark but the truck starts to run bad when it get to 207.

I think the pathfinder has a 180 degree thermostat stock, I wouldn't want them to come on that early or the fans would never turn off in the summer and it would never reach normal operating temperature in the winter. I was looking for a 195 to 200 degree switch but I was too impatient to order one so I bought one in town for some chevy. Napa said it would come on between 200 and 212 and it comes on at 207 which is a little higher then I wanted, but it doesn't turn off till 180. The factory water temp gauge never goes above the halfway mark but the truck starts to run bad when it get to 207.

How are you measuring the coolant temperature? The stock temp gauge is very inaccurate; it reads "halfway" from as low as 175° to 225°F (as reported by my ScanGauge II).

Also, the location of the temperature switch's sensor is important, too. If it's an "insert through the radiator fins" type of sensor, it won't be as accurate as one that actually sits in the coolant flow, such as inside the upper radiator hose.

Edited by XPLORx4