SAS D21 Navara

Hello there, I'm from New Zealand and this is my first post. I have been reading with interest all about SAS's and am impressed by some of the fab work. I'm probably posting this in the wrong place sorry, but I hate computers. I rather be doing it. I have started my own SAS on my D21 Navara and have built my own front axel/diff housing using readily available parts. It is a chopped Toyota Hilux housing with Landcruiser Prado (70 series I think) high pinion 4.88 LSD head, Landcruiser BJ60 axels, and GQ Nissan Safari Y60(Patrol) balls CV's hubs stubs brakes etc. I'm doing a 3 link plus panard setup, using Johnny Joints on one end of each link, with 12" FOA coilover shocks(I have yet to work out spring rate combo). Steering is going to be an issue. Worst case, I will have to make some high steer arms. What I really want is a left hand drive, right knuckle (what the kingpins bolt to) out of a GQ Y60 Nissan Patrol 1990'ish. Pictured is the right hand drive, left knuckle. My right knuckle dosn't have the arm pointing forward, which is what I want. Can anyone help... Please. I have emailed a few different wreckers around the globe, but no replies (oh, got one in German and French and they want me to ring). Who will send me one, and how much do I owe you?

So far...

post-19915-1253239467.jpg

post-19915-1253239519.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Why don't you use the knuckle system from trail-gear.com! They have a system known as the six shooter, uses 6 bolts for retaining the upper arm. It would also allow you to use A high steer system. These knuckles are also much stronger than stock units. Have a look!

Simon

Also if you meet Rae and Audrey Cullen out there! They are my Aunt and Uncle!

• 5 months later...

Finished my SAS. Happy but still fine tuning (I dont think that will ever stop). How the hell do I add some pics. Give me a grinder and welder any day. Thanks for your input Simon, my idea of a lefthand drive, right knuckle wouldn't have worked anyway, as I hadnt taken into consideration the ackerman angle.

Thanks Pezzy. Its not user friendly adding pictures is it. Heres some Pics... Dual springs are 12inch 250lb and 12inch 350lb. I can now get a wee bit more articulation than pictures show. RTI on a 23 degree ramp is 695. Whats the best way to stop the rear diff twisting under load with soft leaf springs???IMG_1879.jpg ...IMG_1878.jpg ...IMG_1796.jpg ...IMG_1751.jpg ...IMG_1746.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I want that grill setup...

I dont think the early Navara grill will fit a Terrano as the Terrano bonnet has a bigger lip on front edge, and guards are different also to suit bonnet. I'll check it out sometime.

Put some dents in my truck last weekend. It took 3 hours to get 5 trucks through a washout named "The Crevass". Lots of winching. Without being byass, my truck performed the best. My mates loved watching the front end twist up, one thing I struggle to see.

I've just installed a EGT guage and increased fuel on the TD27, and increased the boost to 15psi. On 35's, it now goes like it was on 31's, maybe better, I'm loving it. Not as economical thou.

...My mates loved watching the front end twist up, one thing I struggle to see.

Maybe try a fabbing a "backup camera" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_camera )

mounted on an extension pole and facing back at the vehicle for that "external view". Or better yet; underneath the vehicle looking at the front tires.

Well, I think its a great idea!

Edited by Derrik

Maybe try a fabbing a "backup camera" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_camera )

mounted on an extension pole and facing back at the vehicle for that "external view". Or better yet; underneath the vehicle looking at the front tires.

Well, I think its a great idea!

I might do something like that as I run a laptop with mapping software in truck, and a GPS pluged into it, so a camera would be cheap and easy. I just hope I don't fall off the track because I'm to busy watching the screen. Record might be useful.

I think they call my problem "axel wrap". Articulation with the supple springs is good. I have looked at a ladder bar set up, but believe it will fight/restrict articulation. A single, long top link would probably be better. More homework required I think

Cheers

I think they call my problem "axel wrap". Articulation with the supple springs is good. I have looked at a ladder bar set up, but believe it will fight/restrict articulation. A single, long top link would probably be better. More homework required I think

Cheers

i think i seen something like that,Called an anti-wrap bar. I think the axle end had a johnny joint, and i seen one with a shackle on the other end...

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx

Currie's Johnny Joint® offer 30 degrees of unrestricted movement in any direction as compared to 22 degrees on a common heim joint.

• 2 weeks later...

Currie's Johnny Joint® offer 30 degrees of unrestricted movement in any direction as compared to 22 degrees on a common heim joint.

Yeah, great joints these. I've used them on the rear ends of my 3 links. Most impressed with them. I'm looking at replacing rear leaves with early Ford Falcon ute or station wagon ones (they are way longer and should flex more), and repositioning mounts before having a go at setting up an anti wrap bar.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey was wondering if u could repost those first two pictures? those pictures dont seem to work?

chers Ward

Hi teamtrucker, I got rid of those pics as they were only of the patrol knuckles that I was after. Is there any particular photos/veiws you want?

I now have done a U bolt flip on the rear with falcon rear leaves, which are a lot longer and have achieved a bit more flex, also with a coil spring on top of diff ( in centre ) to assit with carrying heavy loads, but doesn't affect articulation. If anything, it seems to help. I have mounted a "torque arm" which helps stop diff wrap, which was bending my soft leaves. Also considering removing turbo off the td27 ( which is runing at 15 psi boost ) and fitting a sc14 supercharger off a toyota, to give me better torque. I would like to fit the crawler gearcase gears, but they are a bit expensive, but I havn't ruled them out yet. Then arb airlockers... and the wish list goes on. I have started building an exo- skeleton thou.

IMG_2049-1.jpg

Learnt something everyone with an electric winch should know. If you submerse winch in water or mud (common for some), strip it, clean it then drill and tap an air fitting into bottom of motor for a remote breather, then when reassembling winch, seal the factory vents. I also put an Oring on each end of cable drum. I recommend doing this to a new winch.

Edited by kbjj

Sweet rig. I really wish we had (more) diesels in the US. Something I'd like to learn. A supercharger may be a good thought for bringing on the boost right away. I don't know what your current turbo is, but assuming it is journal bearing, an upgrade to a good ball bearing unit could make all the difference you are looking for. Less custom work and more performance in the long run.

Sweet rig. I really wish we had (more) diesels in the US. Something I'd like to learn. A supercharger may be a good thought for bringing on the boost right away. I don't know what your current turbo is, but assuming it is journal bearing, an upgrade to a good ball bearing unit could make all the difference you are looking for. Less custom work and more performance in the long run.

Seems to work ok as far as turbos go. Starts boosting at 1800 rpm and full boost at 2200 rpm, red line about 4200 rpm. Supercharger set up right should boost about 4 or 5 psi at idle.

• 11 months later...

Iv'e just snapped my 2nd transfercase chain. Admittadly it was loaded to the max ie. while stuck, I was hard on the gas and riding the brake to aid limited slips. I guess I'll have to refrain from that habit, although it works well. Any stronger options for these?