Hood insulation

Tungsten

keep it. there are reasons it's there from the factory.

main reason is for heat and noise insulation...There are theories that it is also for fire suppression...if an engine fire occurs, the plastic clips melt, allowing for the "hood insulator" to fall on the engine, assisting in the smothering of the fire. If it were me, I would just take it out...if my engine caught on fire, a mat isn't going to save the harness and other valuable parts from melting away... :02:

Take it out! Better heat dispersion, and not much more noise...at least I didn't notice any more noise on my old truck. My old Pathy had the stock one that was deteriorating and caused random strips to fall down and ended up getting tangled in the fan. That was a disaster. My new one has one too but it's 100% flawless.

you may start baking the paint on the hood but other than that it should be alright

Fair argument, I'd say that I'm baking spray paint and bondo above my motor without the insulator but in defense AGAINST me at the same time, the bondo area does have a hole in the center of it that helps heat escape when holding still and having a BL does add 3 extra inches between the top of the motor and the bottom of the hood.

Well I have a big hole forming in the hood insulator. Would it be to any negative effect if I just ripped it out entirely? Not buying a new one from the dealer would save me around $160.

I think its a good idea to keep it in.

you could replace it with some generic insulation from summit/jegs or somewhere. will probably run a lot less than $160.

• 2 years later...

I just had my '99.5's hood replaced (stupid deer) by a body shop. They did not put hood insulation on the new one.

Has anyone ever damaged their paint from having no insulation? Just trying to decide whether I should pursue this further. Reason being this body shop failed to replace the broken bug shield and intake air temp sensor as well, so I am not happy with them...

It's useless. Most vehicles don't even come with that insulation stuff. Older vehicles at least.

As far as "has it created problems?" I bought my HB about 6 months ago. It has never had the insulation. I didn't even know it should have insulation.

Ain't nothin' wrong.

All this BS about the paint boiling? GTFO

The paint on the underside of the hood is glossy fresh and the paint on the top of the hood is..well..not glossy, but I don't know any Nissan from the 90s with good stock paint.

I would actually advise against keeping it in. I would rather let the heat escape than letting it smother and build up in the engine compartment. THAT'S how you melt and burn @!*%.

the only consequence to taking it out is having a slightly warm hood after an hour's drive.

P.S. the comment about "Nissan put it there for a reason" you obviously don't realize how much stuff auto makers are forced to do by the government. Haven't you ever wondered why a car from the 60s has a much smaller engine, but can still haul ass? Hell, even cars from the 80s. The government forces useless, expensive, completed safety equipment, emissions control equipment, etc, etc.

This is the reason why a lot of great cars from the 80s don't exist. Take the CRX for example. light as could be. Small engine. handles like nobody's business. Why can't they make those nowadays? Because the car would be twice as heavy due to airbags, frame reinforcements, crumple zones, quadruple layered gas tanks, side air bags..reinforced doors, etc etc,

As a good friend of mine says "When I take something apart, the very first thing I do is throw out all the useless safety mechanisms"

Edited by 1994SEV6

It's useless. Most vehicles don't even come with that insulation stuff. Older vehicles at least.

As far as "has it created problems?" I bought my HB about 6 months ago. It has never had the insulation. I didn't even know it should have insulation.

Ain't nothin' wrong.

All this BS about the paint boiling? GTFO

The paint on the underside of the hood is glossy fresh and the paint on the top of the hood is..well..not glossy, but I don't know any Nissan from the 90s with good stock paint.

I would actually advise against keeping it in. I would rather let the heat escape than letting it smother and build up in the engine compartment. THAT'S how you melt and burn @!*%.

the only consequence to taking it out is having a slightly warm hood after an hour's drive.

P.S. the comment about "Nissan put it there for a reason" you obviously don't realize how much stuff auto makers are forced to do by the government. Haven't you ever wondered why a car from the 60s has a much smaller engine, but can still haul ass? Hell, even cars from the 80s. The government forces useless, expensive, completed safety equipment, emissions control equipment, etc, etc.

This is the reason why a lot of great cars from the 80s don't exist. Take the CRX for example. light as could be. Small engine. handles like nobody's business. Why can't they make those nowadays? Because the car would be twice as heavy due to airbags, frame reinforcements, crumple zones, quadruple layered gas tanks, side air bags..reinforced doors, etc etc,

As a good friend of mine says "When I take something apart, the very first thing I do is throw out all the useless safety mechanisms"

Just because you owned it with no insulation... there was still at one point in time insulation installed. All of my HBs of the past have had or had signs there was insulation at 1 time. The stock hood off my truck now and my parts truck both still have insulation (the stock hood has been laying outside for a year or so unprotected and its actually still in perfect shape under there)

I have actually seen paint and bodywork get deformed/bubble on hoods (mostly on low clearance hoods on minitrucks when I was into them a little. Was a shame the work that got destroyed over it on my 1 friends s10) so it ain't total BS. MY hood has been fine but again, there is 3 extra inches of spare room and a hole in the middle of it so MINE has had no issues other than not-the-best bodywork (I wrench and rescue, not a bodyman and will never claim to be).

Yes it IS there for a reason from the factory, as is a lot of things, whether it be government regulated or not. A reason is a reason.

And 'throwing away all the useless safety mechanisms'? I can't honestly agree with that. When I did my interior swap my thoughts were never "Toss the seatbelts, it weighs less now!" Heck I (eventually with the help of a member here and his parts truck) upgraded the rear belts to a better-more modern design. This is an offroad site, safety is one of the concerns when we build something. Not removing it from the equation.

(not trying to pick you apart, just not in exact agreement with all the comments. Remember I openly admit I don't have one on my installed hood and have no plans of putting one on. Takes up room to put random pointless stickers! :lol: )

OK, I'm going to get the insulation, mainly because I just don't want to take the risk of having anything happen to the paint job (it's not factory, now). Besides, the body shop even has this hood insulation listed under 'work done' on the invoice, so it should be there anyways.

Thanks for the thoughts, one way or the other!

From the time of my original post, I have put a new hood insulator on there from a pick and pull. Only cost me like $5 and 10 minutes of my time to put it on. I find it helps more in the winter where it keeps the heat locked in better and it doesn't really matter in the summer because I have a decent fan clutch. Overall, it's not a big deal and I would probably not even install it if I never had it or couldn't find a replacement.

Don't forget that they do have a body lift from the factory. Maybe the only job of the insulation is to protect the paint and with more clearance in the bay you may not even need any insulation.

Just because you owned it with no insulation... there was still at one point in time insulation installed. All of my HBs of the past have had or had signs there was insulation at 1 time. The stock hood off my truck now and my parts truck both still have insulation (the stock hood has been laying outside for a year or so unprotected and its actually still in perfect shape under there)

I have actually seen paint and bodywork get deformed/bubble on hoods (mostly on low clearance hoods on minitrucks when I was into them a little. Was a shame the work that got destroyed over it on my 1 friends s10) so it ain't total BS. MY hood has been fine but again, there is 3 extra inches of spare room and a hole in the middle of it so MINE has had no issues other than not-the-best bodywork (I wrench and rescue, not a bodyman and will never claim to be).

Yes it IS there for a reason from the factory, as is a lot of things, whether it be government regulated or not. A reason is a reason.

And 'throwing away all the useless safety mechanisms'? I can't honestly agree with that. When I did my interior swap my thoughts were never "Toss the seatbelts, it weighs less now!" Heck I (eventually with the help of a member here and his parts truck) upgraded the rear belts to a better-more modern design. This is an offroad site, safety is one of the concerns when we build something. Not removing it from the equation.

(not trying to pick you apart, just not in exact agreement with all the comments. Remember I openly admit I don't have one on my installed hood and have no plans of putting one on. Takes up room to put random pointless stickers! :lol: )

Don't say it like that. I didn't mean take out seat belts and ABS and brake lights. I just mean to take out stuff that is in your way. If it's useless, or if it had a use that it doesn't perform well anymore, then take it out. I don't see a problem with that. My carbon canister for example. It was for emissions originally, but how could it really have a purpose anymore? After 130k miles, I don't think it still has any use left. I took it out, along with a lot of other stuff, to get to the bolts on my steering column better. I'm probably not going to put the carbon canister back in. The hoses are all cracked, it has some pieces broken off, it feels a little light. I'm not some redneck or someone who says "F*** the environment", but some junk in the engine bay of my 20 year old pickup truck isn't the way to do it. Europe, for example, has realistic goals that they meet realistically. They still use leaded gas, which just completely rapes the environment compared to unleaded. They focus more on factories and mass producers of pollution.

I don't know why I'm talking about European emissions policies in a thread about hood insulation, but consider this. You wouldn't want to wear a wool sweater in 100 degree heat, would you? I know I wouldn't.

What you said about the S10 is weird. My best friend has a 1997 S10 that he lowered about 4 inches all around. err..maybe its 4 in the front and 3 in the back. It sits pretttttty low. He ripped that insulation off in a hurry. On top of that, he modded his thermostat to make the engine run hotter than stock for more power. I'll be sure to look at the underside of his hood the next time we have to replace his p/s pump or something like that.

I believe that theoretically the carbon canisters can last forever... meaning that that ability of the charcoal to absorb and release gas vapours does not diminish over time. Of course they can die for a variety of reasons, so in practice they have a lifetime. If yours is dead, you can buy a new one, replace all the lines etc. :)