Resonator on a 96 SE

96path4x4

I found out today that my muffler is under warranty but the tail piple which includes the resonator is not. That piece is almost $200 plus labor. They are telling me the truck will be extremely loud without it. Has anyone run without one? And is there a cheap fix? I have 130K and I just spent $800 on tires and AC...I am not sure the whole truck is worth more than $2k, though it is rust free.

I would think it would not be too bad. Mine's a 95 and I don't think it ever had the resonantor. Anyhow, mine only got annoyingly loud after taking the catalytic converters out of the system. (We can get away with that in Florida because no emissions and no vehicle inspections)

I found out today that my muffler is under warranty but the tail piple which includes the resonator is not. That piece is almost $200 plus labor. They are telling me the truck will be extremely loud without it. Has anyone run without one? And is there a cheap fix? I have 130K and I just spent $800 on tires and AC...I am not sure the whole truck is worth more than $2k, though it is rust free.

No, it's not needed. Pezzy's no longer has it. Highway isn't any louder really, though, with her new exhaust, her truck has a nice low rumble to it.

It's custom mandrel bent from the cat back, with a high-flow muffler.

Baloney. I ran without one for 2 months. No major difference in any sense. The big diff came when I swapped in a Flowmaster 44. You should be fine from a purely functional viewpoint. Can't comment on the legal/emissions/blah stuff.

A resonator? I don't even know what that is... P...

I got the manufacturer "BOSAL" to pay for the muffler assembly and I agreed to pay shipping. They are also paying for the resonator. I think when it is all said and done, it will end up costing around $200 and it will be back to OEM specs.

Thanks for the replies.

Ray