Subframe drop for R50

shift220

I don't think you can push down on the a-arms that much it's hard enough with a 1" spacer. The cv's could not take that much angle it would bind them. To lift any IFS truck more than a couple inches you need some type of sub frame drop to keep everything lined up properly.

What I mean is that with the sfd you end up putting 4" strut spacers on the front of the truck. Is it possible to do the 4" in strut and coil rather than the 4" spacer. Doesn't it work the same way.

Also has anyone tried this? I thought I saw talk of one of the members soing a 5" sfd that had coilovers instead of the stock strut and 5" spacer. Anyone?

Because of the IFS strut set-up on the R50, there are two "viable" options for those wanting to lift beyond the standard 2" coil set-up. I use the term "viable" loosely because either requires time and money, not to mention due diligence. These options are: SFD (affordable, practical and relatively easy) and SAS (can be expensive and more difficult but still pretty practical). I'd recommend the former if your mechanical skills are limited (like mine :lol:) but some members have tackled the SAS option and have been successful.

Beyond these, you'll be hard-pressed to make anything else work. Coilovers would be an option but that would require some serious fabrication/engineering skills and a ton of money. There was a coilover thread floating around here a couple years back but I don't think anything come of it that could be useful as a real-world application. A European company called ProFlex designed the IFS suspension for the Dakar Rally R50 Terrano, which was extremely capable off-road but obviously very expensive (IIRC, I think each side ran around $2000USD at the time). :doh:

Based on what you're hoping to achieve, a SAS project would be ideal. It will allow for ample suspension travel up front and serious offroad capability. But if you're like me, the SFD option takes the cake because of its relative simplicity and cost. ;)

In any event, best of luck! :aok:

What I mean is that with the sfd you end up putting 4" strut spacers on the front of the truck. Is it possible to do the 4" in strut and coil rather than the 4" spacer. Doesn't it work the same way.

Also has anyone tried this? I thought I saw talk of one of the members soing a 5" sfd that had coilovers instead of the stock strut and 5" spacer. Anyone?

you not only use a spacer on the strut but you push the suspension (cradle) down with 4" spacers. So no it does not work with only using coil and strut. If someone made longer struts maybe :scratchhead: but they don't

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I have searched but I can not find an answer :headwall: .

How much trimming is required to fit 285/75/16 tires with the 4" SFD?

I already have an 2,5" strut spacer with 255/70 and I had to trim a little in the front to fit them. So I think that with the 4" lift the center of the tire will be lower enough (respect to inner part of the front bumper)to clear maybe with a little aditional triming¿¿??

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, first post for me...(Next stop Newbie Forum)

Question:

Is 4" necessary.. Or just common? I'm just thinking that if your going to add custom strut spacers to a custom SFD anyway. Than in theory the ammount of lift can be any denomination, ex: 2.5" 3" 5" and so on... Or is 4" where everything tops out in the front end, like steering components and driveshaft angle.

I'm going for knowledge on the drop too. I'm sitting on OME HD Coils for the front, and Jeep coils for the rear(4" XJ Lift) But I'm not doing anything until I fabricate blocks and spacers to compliment the lift coming from those.

All info is appreciated.

-Mario

• 3 months later...

You can follow my install thread, some of it might be helpful. Just pm me if you have questions.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28342&st=0&p=536836&hl=+subframe%20+drop%20+install%20+thread&fromsearch=1entry536836

Thank you!! That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew I saw your install before.

Stay tuned for another SFD install...

• 3 months later...

What size tire did you go with ... and I totally dig your choice of wheel!

Thanks man! I went with BF Goodrich KM2 305/70/16 and they fit great. I have about a quarter of an inch of space between the tire and the strut. I also went with Pro Comp Rock Crawlers 16x8 with 3.75" bs.

I feel like I need to extend the rear links to bring the rear wheels back to center them in the wheel wells. Anyone know if someone makes adjustable links?

I also want to re-install my rear sway bar but it doesn't fit. Does anyone make longer arms or quick disconnect links for the rear sway bar?

Edited by Adventure51

Thanks man! I went with BF Goodrich KM2 305/70/16 and they fit great. I have about a quarter of an inch of space between the tire and the strut. I also went with Pro Comp Rock Crawlers 16x8 with 3.75" bs.

I feel like I need to extend the rear links to bring the rear wheels back to center them in the wheel wells. Anyone know if someone makes adjustable links?

I also want to re-install my rear sway bar but it doesn't fit. Does anyone make longer arms or quick disconnect links for the rear sway bar?

Hate it :gay:!!!

Seriously though, made me take a second glance - our colors are really close so of course I think it looks awesome.

Would you terribly mind taking a photo of the tire clearance from the struts? That is one of my favorite sizes of 33's and I thought for sure it wouldn't fit with a 3.75" bs wheel (16x8).

From my limited knowledge, I don't think the stabalizer bar will help your centering issue. To center the wheels in the wheel well you probably have to think about adjustable trailing arms (longer), but I'd be concerned with driveshaft issues (if the axle gets futher away from the TX) and upper/lower coil spring perches lining up (if you rotate the axle so it lines up with the driveshaft better)....but again, this is all coming from a weekend mechanic. Or were you talking about centering them under the vehicle? If so, I had to get a panhard bar drop bracket to recenter them from right to left.

Super excited about your tire size selection though, way to go!

Hate it :gay:!!!

Seriously though, made me take a second glance - our colors are really close so of course I think it looks awesome.

Would you terribly mind taking a photo of the tire clearance from the struts? That is one of my favorite sizes of 33's and I thought for sure it wouldn't fit with a 3.75" bs wheel (16x8).

From my limited knowledge, I don't think the stabalizer bar will help your centering issue. To center the wheels in the wheel well you probably have to think about adjustable trailing arms (longer), but I'd be concerned with driveshaft issues (if the axle gets futher away from the TX) and upper/lower coil spring perches lining up (if you rotate the axle so it lines up with the driveshaft better)....but again, this is all coming from a weekend mechanic. Or were you talking about centering them under the vehicle? If so, I had to get a panhard bar drop bracket to recenter them from right to left.

Super excited about your tire size selection though, way to go!

Sorry for taking so long to get that pic to you Rick.

Image.jpg

I didn't think it would fit either but I have a friend who works at the tire shop where I bought them and he let me do a test fit. Love the way they look and drive. I actually followed your build and went with the same rear springs you did. The only thing I did different was added the NX4 spacers up front because I have the ARB bumper and winch that weighed the front down some.

Thanks for the reply and photo. Wow, you have tons of room (actually more than I have with my 285/75/16). Makes me want to check tread width spec's on 305's next go round.

So, the NX4 spacer, did you purchase the middle mount spacer (btw the upper coil spring and the upper top plate).

Whenever you get a chance, I'd love to see the stance from the front or back. I'm totally curious now that I see your setup.

So you got your SFD Installed and your using an NX4 Spacer too?.....are you using a stock spring or an AC??? If an AC, I thought that wasn't possible due to CV limitations? I wouldn't have sold my NX4 spacer if that's the case.

I do have 2" AC coils up front. I have an ARB front bumper with a winch that weighs down the front end just about an inch. So in order to level the truck out a little I had to use the NX4 spacers. Rick, I ended up using longer bolts and installing them on top of the SFD spacers for the struts. This way I didn't have to disassemble the strut to add the spacer.

So, actually it is like having a regular 6" lift because the front end is lower by about an inch due to the bumper and winch.

2" AC coils with 4" SFD up front

6.5" Jeep coils cut just like Ricks in the rear with adapter from Krypton Fabs

I'll take a pic of the strut spacer up front to show you guys later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for my language, not local.

On a page are photos from the drawings spacers, at the moment they are not available.

Could not put it again or give a link?

Thank you!

Edited by manson