Subframe drop for R50

shift220

Alignment done. All but caster is within manuf specs. David and I got the camber on both sides to within 0.3 degrees - we eye'd it pretty well. I'm moving on to the rear spacers in the next couple weeks and will post up progress when complete. Once those are on I'm putting the front wheel spacers on and mounting the 33's. It should be fine until I save for the rear (springs/shocks/brake line/PHD bracket).

Can't wait to see your final outcome Andrew...

BTW my front fender is sitting at 40" and rear is right at 35.5".

Alignment done. All but caster is within manuf specs. David and I got the camber on both sides to within 0.3 degrees - we eye'd it pretty well. I'm moving on to the rear spacers in the next couple weeks and will post up progress when complete. Once those are on I'm putting the front wheel spacers on and mounting the 33's. It should be fine until I save for the rear (springs/shocks/brake line/PHD bracket).

Can't wait to see your final outcome Andrew...

BTW my front fender is sitting at 40" and rear is right at 35.5".

Is your caster to positive? Might have something to do with the front end being 5" higher then the rear ;)

Yeah, hopefully tomorrow we will do the rear. Though my buddy is a little hesitant to start it cause the front should only have taken 9 or so hours but it wound up taking over 30 soooooo yeah. And im just using a spacer to lift the rear up, no custom coils or anything.

Is your caster to positive? Might have something to do with the front end being 5" higher then the rear ;)

Yeah, I almost laughed out loud when the tech showed me the print out and said the "caster is still out". :crazy:

Is anyone making rear spacers for sale yet? It's the only thing I need to complete my SFD. I bought the SFD kit from shift22 in early spring but he didn't sell the rear spring spacers. If I can get this on this winter, you can count me in for Gone Moab.

Thanks,

Kevin

Is anyone making rear spacers for sale yet? It's the only thing I need to complete my SFD. I bought the SFD kit from shift22 in early spring but he didn't sell the rear spring spacers. If I can get this on this winter, you can count me in for Gone Moab.

Thanks,

Kevin

your either going to have to buy his spring conversion kit that uses jeep springs and then buy the jeep springs, order a set of custom springs like i did, or have someone make it for you.......

your either going to have to buy his spring conversion kit that uses jeep springs and then buy the jeep springs, order a set of custom springs like i did, or have someone make it for you.......

That's what I thought. How much did your custom springs run you? It's been a while since I've looked but didn't you get them from coilsprings.com or something like that? Would they have the specs for yours on file? I have a 4" SFD and 2" AC lift. Thanks man!

Kevin

Well, you inspired me to get to work on lifting the back of my rig...

Last night I used a coil compressor kit and cranked the back end up. Without further compressing the rear springs I was able to insert a 1" gasket spacer under each coil:

Before:

New%20Image%204.JPG

After:

2010-11-11_09-21-30_52.JPG

2010-11-11_09-21-47_726.JPG

2010-11-11_09-22-01_874.JPG

I'll work on it more this weekend to install the upper 1" spacer. Once done I'll get my 33's on (that have been sitting in my garage for the past couple months...glaring at me!!!).

And for those that are wondering, the bottom spacers seems to sit well below the coil seat and my shocks are a bit short - in other words, at full droop the springs were quite secure. We'll see how I feel after I attack the top spacers and I'll post more.

Thanks! Yeah, I think the R50 is one of the coolest looking rigs when it has a SFD and big tires.

I got a killer deal a couple months ago on 4 285/75/16 GY DuraTracs. Unmounted they measure right at 32.8". My current BFG AT's sit right at 30.6". I'll be getting more than 1" of overall lift/clearance just from the install. I also have a friend who's going to sell me his same sized GY MTR (old pattern) for my full size spare. Seriously can't wait.

I kind of think all the SFD'd R50's should plan some kind of get together annually - something that changes location (West Coast, Mountain, East Coast, Canada...). It could rotate annually so those that aren't within driving distance one year might be able to attend the next year's. It could be a camping/wheeling "SFD R50 Jamboree" (or hopefully named something less lame).

Yeah man, that would be sick! I have always wanted to wheel Colorado and seeing how you and thunderbolt are both there it would make the most sense to meet up there. For me its almost always a matter of money to travel as well as finding time off school. Probably during the summer months or a break of some sort would be the best. We need to make a list of who all has a SFD in the US.

-Me (Andrew)

-You (Rick im assuming?)

-Muddfilldvaynes

-MichiganAve

-Thunderbolt (David)

-qx4palo

-Adventure51 (soon to install)

-There is another guy on NTR in Texas that has a SFD

-As well as numerous others that have been asking about the kit and will most likely get one soon.

Canada

-Shift220 (Andrew)

-New4x4er (Rod)

-Tekazgtr (Ty....he has his lift, but I dont know when he is going to install)

Edited by 01silvapathy

I'm in for that Andrew. I have a SFD that is just waiting for me to install. All I need is rear spring spacers and money for some BIG tires!!! I currently live in Virginia but am from Colorado. I will drive to CO for a SFD R50 gathering!!

Kevin

Sweet man, ill update the list. Be sure to post of pics of your truck when you do that lift!! I love to see other rigs with the same kinda setup.

And if you ever need any help with your install just PM me and ill send you my cell number that you can call me at if you have questions...same goes for everyone who is installing this lift. I know it can seem overwhelming but its not all that difficult

Edited by 01silvapathy

...SFD in the US.

-Me (Andrew)

-You (Rick im assuming?)

-Muddfilldvaynes

-MichiganAve

-Thunderbolt (David)

-qx4palo

-Adventure51 (soon to install)

-There is another guy on NTR in Texas that has a SFD

-As well as numerous others that have been asking about the kit and will most likely get one soon.

Canada

-Shift220 (Andrew)

-New4x4er (Rod)

-Tekazgtr (Ty....he has his lift, but I dont know when he is going to install)

Quite a list! :aok:

I'm going the one-time route with my install. I've learned piecing things together lead to problems so I'm going to get everything I need first, and then install it all at once. I'm hoping spring 2011.

Installed the rear coil top spacers this morning. PHD looks like it is pulling the rear axle to the driver side (as expected). Took the wife out for a spin around the block and she likes how close to completely level it sits now.

2010-11-13_11-00-17_801.jpg

2010-11-13_11-00-33_818.jpg

I'll concentrate on getting the new tires on (285/75/16 GY DuraTracs) and then I'll be saving for the custom rear springs/longer shocks!!! I'll post up after the new tires go on.