Rusted Exhaust, need help

WhiteR50

Hello,

I have a 2000 LE 4x4 (incase it makes a difference), the exhaust seems to be built with a metal heatshield around the majority of the exhaust (after flex pipe). Just as it splits in to a Y there is a metal piece connected to the underbody that connects to tabs on the metal heatshield of my exhaust. I am sure it is common, but one of these tabs has broken off. I was looking for something to repair it, but have not seemed to find anything. Can take pictures if need be, please let me know if anyone has had this problem and knows of a solution short of replacing from the headers back.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

If its just the heat shield, screw it and take it off. Thats what I did, Haven't had any draw backs or felt any extra heat (while i was driving it).

The only caveat to removing heat shields, although I have done the same thing in many locations, is that the extra heat can damage the surface coating on the floor. By damage I man it will heat and cool continually and the surface of the coating cracks permitting oxidization to occur. It depends mostly on the location and is not an instant effect, but it helps the cancer along.

yeah i had the same thing happen to me. if your lucky like i was, the bolts and nuts holding the sheild in place will be all rusted. then all i did was tood a pliers and bent it right off. i guess if you had like a grinder or something of that sort you could just grind em off in about 20 minutes max.