lift with ifs

GEOz2k7

i have been going back and forth on what i wanna do from SAS or just lift my stock ifs. my problem is. all uguys who lift ur trucks with ifs. do u have problems with ur cv shafts? any boots ripping? what are ur lifts? i rly want a sas, it is about 800 dollars with me and my friends doing it very legitly, but ifs is only about 5 hundred. so if u guys can give me some good news ifs that would be best. thanks. and let me know what kind of off roading u do with ifs.

If you can do a complete SAS for $800 (which, sorry, I highly doubt) I don't know why you'd even be having second thoughts.

because i am trying to save me having no vehicle to get to work for a couple weeks if anything wrong goes down. i dont wanna rely on my girl to get me to work everyday lol. but yes. it is a leaf sprung front end, my friend is the welder. he is a fabber here in my town. i just decided leaf spring first then move to link next just to see how i like it. like i said, i want opinions on ur ifs builds and what u think about them.

IFS....I've got pretty much everything done to mine, short of a steering stabilizer, which I don't want or need. It's still weak, even with aftermarket components in all the right places. UCA Bushings wear, steering wears. Ball joints wear.

I've never really had a problem with CV's and have only put 1 set in my truck, that was due to dry rotted boots.

The general consensus I've found by reading these forums is most people are happy with an IFS lift and you won't get too much unusual wear with a 3" lift and manual hubs.

But seriously, if you can do a quality SAS for that cheap, it's worth the added time. You're pretty much limited to 3" frame lift and maybe 33s if you also have a BL. With a SAS there are a lot more opportunities for height and tire size. I recall 87pathy saying that he didn't think the wheel wells would hold anything bigger than 36s, but thats still a hell of a lot bigger than you'll get with an IFS.

But I get what you're saying about DDing it...I was just talking to my neighbor about doing a manual trans swap, and I was telling him my biggest reservation is if I screw anything up then I'm unable to get to work and school until I fix it. But if you can do an SAS for that cheap, buy a $500 beater to dd until your pathy is done, then sell the beater for close to the same amount.

An SAS brings up questions of daily driving suitability. You're completely changing your entire front end, and there's no way to tell how it will withstand the rigors of daily driving, not to mention how it will react in emergency situations (abrupt lane changes, emergency stops, etc.) However for wheeling, there is no question that SAS is the way to go. The stock steering system is not up to the task of handling much beyond 31's.

As for my truck, currently stock on 31's. I have had no issues with conquering almost all of Hollister Hills. I don't do the mudpit, and I'v never attempted the most extreme trails there. I have conquered most of the single diamond black trails with only minor difficulty. However I managed to bend my centerlink, bust one auto hub, and knocked my alignment out numerous times. That being said it's nothing that you wouldn't damage with any other truck.

Yeah, unless you are playing offroad all the time, or making it a trail rig trailer queen I wouldn't SAS. Andrew sounds a little extreme in his paranoia of post conversion streetability, but he makes some valid points and I have seen many casulties of post SAS road wrecks. Heck there was one WD-21 back in the day that got a SAS, was wrecked, sold, rebuilt, wrecked, sold and rebuilt a third time only to get wrecked and flip causing damage beyond repair.

Yeah, unless you are playing offroad all the time, or making it a trail rig trailer queen I wouldn't SAS. Andrew sounds a little extreme in his paranoia of post conversion streetability, but he makes some valid points and I have seen many casulties of post SAS road wrecks. Heck there was one WD-21 back in the day that got a SAS, was wrecked, sold, rebuilt, wrecked, sold and rebuilt a third time only to get wrecked and flip causing damage beyond repair.

well lets just say this on that note, that i drive 4 miles if that to work and back. the farthest spot i go mobing is pismo wich is 45 minutes away. i think with a sway bar i should be fine. why do u guys think sas is not safe. they make mass trucks still today with them....

Those are engineered by people with extensive training. Not a backyard hack job as some are.

That said, if built right, your SAS can be just as stable as any other, it's all about the engineering and build quality.

the farthest spot i go mobing is pismo wich is 45 minutes away.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't think a SAS is much of a benefit for duning... :shrug:

That said, hey, if you want to do it, go for it!! It's your truck...

B

on my sas i have a set of 33 road tires that are for the road only.... for offroad i have a set of 36 swampers... clearing 36s with a spring under will require you to cut you fenders on all for corners to avoid rubbing and even then you will probably still get a little rub.

why do u guys think sas is not safe. they make mass trucks still today with them....

Those are engineered by people with extensive training. Not a backyard hack job as some are.

That said, if built right, your SAS can be just as stable as any other, it's all about the engineering and build quality.

Yeah, the stock solid axel vehicles were engineered that way, just as ours were engineered with IFS. Yes SAS is a basic term and can be done properly and safely, but most are "good enough". I think the main factor that causes road wrecks for people with a SAS is how "soft" the front suspension usually ends up being and the front dives harder than an IFS vehicle.

There are a lot of factors in SAS that need to be done correctly. Brake reworking, steering reworking, proper mounts for linkage or leaf eyes/shackles, geometry of link system, spring size and rates, shock size and resistance. Hell it is rare to see, but if you want a sway bar system, getting it mounted to function properly. While a lot of people have found what parts "fit" it doesn't mean they are going to work properly. Hell I know a guy who had a Calmini system on his Frontier and one of the parts failed and he flipped the truck, Calmini has no liability on it because they sell it as an "offroad use only" product. So don't think that even by going with a name brand "kit" you will have a "better", or more reliable install than a scratch built setup either.

Another complication that hasn't been brought up is decreased MPG with an SAS. Added weight, changed underbody aerodynamics, and of course increased tire size.

I should mention I am planning to SAS my own rig eventually, so I'm not saying you shouldn't. Of course mine is no longer a daily driver. :aok:

mpgs on mine went from like 17-20 to 8-10....lol but i dont drive it often... basically to the trail and back or occasionally to teh grocery store to see people faces like WTF is that

That just "might" have something to do with the lower gearing and much bigger tires ;)

:lol:

yea it might have to do with that and the more weight on the front end and rear. and u know it B

i cant name the number of times at the gas station or wehn im walking or getting in the car people are like so hows your jeep handle in the winter... im like umm i wish u knew how to read

Edited by packie88

and let me know what kind of off roading u do with ifs.
Maybe get on You Tube and search for Pathfinders. Take a look at the terrain they're tackling and see if an IFS would work for the type of wheeling you'll do.

And I could be wrong, but I'd double both the time and money estimates for a project like that. I think just about anyone who's SASed their rig did it themselves or with a buddy and it still cost twice what you're budget allows. Then again, you could always beef up your IFS for the $500 target you mentioned and have youself a very capable, streetable rig. These trucks surprise people, even in stock trim.