I don't even have a name for this failure

Tungsten

Well I was driving around in the park and all of a sudden I heard a low loud thump from the back. Now whenever I step on the brakes there is a thump followed by some rubber sounding squeaking. If I let go of brakes it moves forward fine. When I put it in reverse, it creeps back a little bit and both wheels lock up making the truck slide back. I have a limited slip differential so I was thinking the diff is out and its a matter of miles now before forward drive fails too. Could it be the transmission or transfer case? What can be the problem? :hide:

Spinning one way lets parts rub and get pushed away, spinning the other makes them rub and get bound together.

I could be wrong, but this is the first thing I would look at, you may see something else and you can test other things with the rear end jacked up and the tires off, right?

B

If you put a jack right under the diff it will jack up both sides at the same time. Hopefully you have a pair of jack stands handy also...

Jose

I have to agree with checkign your rear brakes, I see it alot on Neons with rear drum brakes. The stopping surface will seperate from the shoe and lock a rear wheel one way but let it move the other(which way depending on if it's the front or back shoe in the drum). That or possible hardware failure jamming a shoe into the drum when goeing a certian way. Still can apply with rear disc brakes, there is a small drum brake setup in the rotor for the e-brake.