Pigeon Toed Pathy

Soccerstudd5

Took the pathy out for her first offroad run on Thursday and about half-way through, I noticed the steering starting to suck real bad. My buddy that was in front of me said that my tires were both angled in and fighting each other. Had someone look at it and they said the idler arm was bent. So, took the one off my parts car, (great to have one of those) and adjusted the tie rods to align the tires within .25". Took her out again yesterday and did fine for less than an hour and then back to the same old crap!

I got the pathy and the parts car for $500. It's an 87 and I'm pretty sure the whole front end is close to being wore out. It's got a TM lift and before I got it, it had been sitting for 6 years. Found me two good donor vehicles for a SAS that run for $400 for both so I could maybe even part it out and make my money back. Even got a friend to split the cost with me for a SAS for his yota. In the long run, would I be ahead to just go ahead and SAS if that was my plan to do eventually anyways, or figure out what's wrong with the IFS and get it fixed?

Thanks for the help and opinions everyone. Greatly appreciated!

I'll post some pics up this afternoon. The IA DID bend the first time, new one is on and pretty sure it's bent a little, but not as much.

It's weird though, when I was climbing rocks and hills when it first started happening, my buddies were telling me the tires were fighting each other and toeing in, but when I'd get to the top and stop to look at it, they would be fine....

If you got the parts and time at your disposal and don't need the truck you might as well get crackin at it. If your in need of the truck currently, I'd start with making sur ethe TREs are good and maby get an actual allignment.

I'll post some pics up this afternoon. The IA DID bend the first time, new one is on and pretty sure it's bent a little, but not as much.

It's weird though, when I was climbing rocks and hills when it first started happening, my buddies were telling me the tires were fighting each other and toeing in, but when I'd get to the top and stop to look at it, they would be fine....

most likely a shot CL.

hah i decided to SAS cuz i bent a tie rod a week ago. then i went to the local pick n pull on monday to get a replacement when i saw the a wagoneer with the D44 i needed. it was like fate or something. hahaha. i'm not looking back now. i'm goin with it.

let me know when you pull the trail master kit out, and what you might want for it.

Will do, just so you know, I won't have any instructions or anything like that, but I'm sure it's all pretty self explanatory. I could probably take pictures of where the parts came off of....

Typical IFS "Wink". Usualy caused by a worn out center link, it will pivot up on the idler and pitman arms and cause the toe in while under power in 4wd.

If you have the parts for SAS, and plan to do one, just go ahead with that.

me thinks it's your tie rod ends that are fubar. i don't think you could bend the IA if you tried.

You most definitely can. The shaft bends. I've seen it happen to trucks not running a brace.

I'm with GG, though. CL problem. With those big tires, you'll continue to kill the CL in short order if you keep it stock.

see, me thinks you should invest in a CL, then a week later go and SAS it, and sell the centerlink for $10 on www.oldslowreliable.com (don't click, for all i know it could be something VERY bad!)

Hehe, really, if your planning on SAS'ing it, i wouldn't invest in a CL unless your trying to help those of use who are too cheap to buy one out!

Nissan IFS parts are so damn expensive. I'm willing to bet that my steering is going to implode again after this years adventure weekend. The next CL I get will be a hoohaa one. I should let you know that once you start replacing steering parts that other ones will quickly go bad. At least this was my experience.

Well, looks like a SAS... wanting to do coils instead of leafs, maybe even coilovers like this rig.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/071...sion/index.html

If I'm getting a whole Wagoneer, what parts am I going to have to start acquiring? I know I'm going to have to set up my own steering, shock/coilover mounts, and control arms.

I'm going to be talking to a local 4x4 guy here in town and seeing what he can help with and how much he's going to charge, but just wanted to get an idea now.

TIA!

i had the same problem with king, and yes, it was my tre's. i have had no issues since with his steering since i changed all 4 tre's and got a fresh alignment.

go SaS if you can afford it, have another DD you can use, and it's cost effective for you. i'm going to sas king this winter :dance:

Edited by Slick

i'm going to sas king this winter :dance:

You know, if you go through with that.....you are gonna have about a bajillion michigander NPORA guys dropping our trucks off so we can just sit on our lazy butts!

:) lawl

What exactly was WRONG with your TRE's? How did you stop it from happening again?

i had the same problem with king, and yes, it was my tre's. i have had no issues since with his steering since i changed all 4 tre's and got a fresh alignment.

go SaS if you can afford it, have another DD you can use, and it's cost effective for you. i'm going to sas king this winter :dance:

Can I call dibs on your TM kit? :sly: