Will this fit?

Tungsten

nope thats a pretty good location for it

clears the middle bracket, does not block any sensors, hoses don't kink or pinch, and gets plenty of air even under the grille and bumper

nope thats a pretty good location for it

clears the middle bracket, does not block any sensors, hoses don't kink or pinch, and gets plenty of air even under the grille and bumper

Looks good; did you use the plastic ties to mount it up there or did you make a bracket? Coundn't tell on the pics.

I used the plastic ties through the condenser because there was barely if anything to attach those metal brackets to safely. Since my A/C is discharged, all I had to do was remove the condenser. If you have A/C, have fun removing the radiator.

Your install looks nice. How did the remote filter installation go? Any advice on installation location/routing? Did you by chance get a temperature gauge? Sorry for playing interrogator, but I would like to actually solve this problem for the community at large. More data==better :jig:

Nope, I decided not to go with a remote filter. There is an ample filter in the transmission so a remote one would be useless. If you have way too many particles down in the transmission, blow out the radiator and cooler as well. Then again if you do have it that bad, your transmission will die soon anyway. For the gauge, its pretty much optional unless you bypass the radiator and you don't have to do a T-fitting, just wire tap it into the A/T computer like it says in the service manual. There is also a warning light on the dashboard to tell you if your transmission has overheated. I decided to not bypass the radiator because I have a brand new aftermarket radiator and I wanted to account for everything like standing in traffic.

With the cooler the shifting seems better and I might also be getting better fuel economy.

Now for the installation, make sure the lines don't pinch or kink. You will have to mount the cooler high enough so the lines don't kink but low enough so it will clear the bracket and all that other junk. Put the cooler on the right side, where the A/C receiver drier is, this will make the transmission lines easier to access. Do not put it on the left as it will interfere with the sensor which is sitting there up front. If your cooler is 1.5 in thick like mine was, you are going to have to do some trimming. Trim the plastic which is behind the front bumper and trim the grille. If you have that bottom chin plastic, cut a rectangle out for the hoses. If I remember right, the transmission sending line is at the top and the receiving is at the bottom. To be sure, disconnect both lines and the ignition coil, then "bump" the starter to see where the fluid comes out.

The way mine is routed: Transmission -> Radiator -> Cooler -> Transmission

FYI, if one of your lines look like they will rub against something, put a thicker piece of hose around in that area to protect the line.

Edited by Tungsten

• 2 years later...

I went to a transmission expert and here is what I found out:

1. If your stock radiator cooler is getting clogged, that means there is something seriously wrong with the transmission and it will die anyway even if you clean the radiator.

2. The stock cooler should not be bypassed because if you sit in traffic or do something that will heat up the transmission cooler at least the transmission can run at radiator temperature.

3. The only time you can bypass the stock cooler is if its a large enough cooler with possibly its own fan and there is no A/C condenser. Otherwise you run into the risk of blowing your transmission up. There are other factors to this so there is no definite answer. To account for all environments, run to the radiator first and then to the cooler. However if your stock cooler is unusable and/or damaged you should bypass it so that way you at least have some cooling for the transmission.

I forget the year range, but for my 93 Pathy there is a known Manufacturer's defect with the Tranny Cooler. It apparently causes clogging of the filter which then prevents parts from getting oil and then full Tranny failure.

They specifically say to asap change to an aftermarket cooler to prevent pre-mature tranny failure.

• 5 years later...

Nope, I decided not to go with a remote filter. There is an ample filter in the transmission so a remote one would be useless. If you have way too many particles down in the transmission, blow out the radiator and cooler as well. Then again if you do have it that bad, your transmission will die soon anyway. For the gauge, its pretty much optional unless you bypass the radiator and you don't have to do a T-fitting, just wire tap it into the A/T computer like it says in the service manual. There is also a warning light on the dashboard to tell you if your transmission has overheated. I decided to not bypass the radiator because I have a brand new aftermarket radiator and I wanted to account for everything like standing in traffic.

Can you please elaborate on how you wire tapped into the A/T computer? I don't have a service manual. What's the location on the vehicle?