WD21 dual steering box - replace IA

helix66

close, Most the manual and power boxes have the same spline diamter.(87-92 for sure)...

...I think In 93 or 94 a differant box casting was introduced and a monster sized nut was used(60mm wrench?)...

I think mid year 92 they changed to the larger size.

thanks for the correct info.

Oh and one more question;

Why cant we use the steering system from the 2wd? It has almost the exact setup as the old late 70s to early 80s Chevrolet pickups. Has anyone tried? Without the dog bone center link it probably wouldn't have the problem with twisting. I've already collected most of the parts to build my own hoohaa style center link so I'm not going to try it but it looks like it should work. I think the tie rod ends go in from under the spindles instead of on top but we could just use 4wd outer tie rods. I don't remember if the old chevys had the same steering links on the 4wd as on the 2wds though.

The 2wd system has longer TRE's, depending on your tires + how and where you drive you could be more prone to bending a longer TRE.

I can't remember if it was N4W or 4x4parts but someone did try it. I can't remember what the result was tho.scratchheadyellow.gif Maybe you could poke arround on those sights and let us know.

• 1 month later...

before I rush out to find a manual steering box is it confirmed that this mod will work on a truck with no body lift?

No BL reqired for the Manual box. Just look @ mine, it fits fine w/o a BL.

This Has got me thinking.

I have a front locker. and it is really hard to steer with it engaged. I thought about hydro assist. But then i saw this thread ans it got me thinking. Would if I was able to get a power steering unit from a right hand steering (uk or aus) and use a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump to power it. I would be able to get power steering from both sides of the steering system that should give me More power to move the wheels.

Just a thought. Anyone have any suggestions or can tell me if this would or wouldn't work.

Now to obtain a Terrano power steering box.

Power to the second box won't do anything for you unless you have input a steering wheel shaft.

Now if you could put a gear on the input shaft and run a chain or cross shaft over to a gear on your primary box you might get the double power assist. Both should be run inline off the stock steering pump. You can modify the restrictor valve to increase flow for 2 boxes.

Or... You can modify the restrictor valve to increas flow/psi to get more work out of your single box.

Finding a smaller steering pulley may also help.

can somebody please confirm what year hardbody can the manual steering box be pulled from 86 to what year?

and on the pitman arm part from my understanding reading thru this thread quickly is that it has to be from a 89-92 with the smaller nut? mid year 92 they changed it to a bigger nut

So any difference in how the steering feels using the manual box instead of the idler arm?

Just to be clear on this, you used a manual steering box and a power steering pitman arm to replace the idler arm? I guess you had to drill one hole for the upper left bolt and you had to slot the upper right hole? Other than trimming the bumper bracket and relocating the power steering hose everything else was a bolt on? Thanks

So any difference in how the steering feels using the manual box instead of the idler arm?

Just to be clear on this, you used a manual steering box and a power steering pitman arm to replace the idler arm? I guess you had to drill one hole for the upper left bolt and you had to slot the upper right hole? Other than trimming the bumper bracket and relocating the power steering hose everything else was a bolt on? Thanks

My Idler was shot so when I did the mod I had allot less went to having zero wander after hitting regular bumps and potholes.

YES, Manual box + Power pitman and slot both upper holes.

can somebody please confirm what year hardbody can the manual steering box be pulled from 86 to what year?

I think it was 83-85 nissan 720 pickup 2wd and 86-87 nissan hardbody pickup 2wd after 87 I think they were ALL power steering... Update me if you find out I'm wrong so I can change this post... Edited by MY1PATH

My Pitman was shot so when I did the mod I had allot less went to having zero wander after hitting regular bumps and potholes.

I think it was 83-85 nissan 720 pickup 2wd and 86-87 nissan hardbody pickup 2wd after 87 I think they were ALL power steering... Update me if you find out I'm wrong so I can change this post...

car-parts.com has a lot of 87-97 manual steering boxes listed.

your pitman was shot? or your idler arm?

My Idler was shot so when I did the mod I had allot less went to having zero wander after hitting regular bumps and potholes.

I think it was 83-85 nissan 720 pickup 2wd and 86-87 nissan hardbody pickup 2wd after 87 I think they were ALL power steering... Update me if you find out I'm wrong so I can change this post...

Thanks bud ..you forgot to mention what year pathy im supposed to be hunting for the pitman arm..Im assuming 87-92?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, went to the JY yesterday and today to get all this stuff.

Met a nice pathfinder owner who helped me out as I seem to be missing by breaker bar. :(

Apparently there are later model hardbodys with manual steering - I found a 93 that had it - and the radius of the arm is like the newer WD21 boxes.

Ended up pulling the manual box from an 87 because I just could not get the bolt to loosen off of the 93.

So I have: Manual box from 87 hardbody, power steering pitman arm from 89 pathfinder, bolts from 89 pathfinder, and hoohaa CL.

Need to pull my pitman and get both drilled to 1/2", slot the manual box, and take the steering arm out of the box.

How exactly do I take it out? Do I take off the four bolts at the top? or unscrew that retainer thing that it comes out of? when I seal it back up should I put any sort of fluid or grease in there?

Hey,

what did you do to take the steering worm out of the manual steering box? and how did you seal it back up again?

Also are there bearings on both the pitman steering shaft and the worm shaft? because the diagrams only show bearings for the worm part.

The pitman shaft has 3 sets of needle bearings. Bottom near the seal, Middle just below the gear teeth on the pitman shaft and top one is found inside the top cap.

To take the worm out of the box;

1. remove the 4 topcap bolts
  2. remove pinion hight ajuster lock nut (the only nut left in the cener of the cap)
  3. turn pinion height ajuster clockwise untill cap is free of the ajuster. watchout for loose needle bearings that will fall out of the cap.
  4. using the nissan spectialty tool (or very large pipe wrench but I prefered the hammer and punch) remove the lock ring on the side of the box (heat and BP may be necessary)
  5. now do the same with the threaded side cap that is still there if it didn't already come off with the lock ring.
  6. wiggle the pitman shaft gear as you slide the worm gear and piston out
  7. the bearings and seal for the worm gear can now be removed and the hole welded shut
  8. screw side cap back on with some teflon tape and secure lock ring
  9. re-install top cap and fill the dummy box with API GL5 75w90 gear oil. the pinion height ajuster on the dummy box can now be used to match your arm height to the oppsite arm because it nolonger contains any gears that have to match.

If the Needle bearings do fall out of the topcap:

no big deal, just keep them clean and don't loose them.

use some molly grease to hold them in place when its time to re-assemble

Edited by MY1PATH

Man what a day!

Got the hoohaa c-link installed and drilled out both pitman arms (my pitman arm was a terror to remove - broke my puller).

Sealed up the box by jb-welding a piece of metal onto the hole and then siliconing the inside - as its not under any pressure I figure this will do.

I went this route because when I took it to no less than 4 "machine shops" they told me they "didn't do welding or drilling, just engine rebuilding."

Amazing!

Ended up buying a 1/2" drill and drilling the arms myself.

Almost got the manual steering box installed - just need to slot the holes and move the power steering lines. Ran out of light so that will get done in the AM.

Heres a pic of the box under construction.

DSC01735.jpg