Leather seat rips

mickyficky

I have a 95 SE with leather and I have 2 issues.

1) I have a stress tear in the middle of the leather. It's about 3 inches and it's behind my right shoulder. It's getting bigger and bigger.

2) The stitching on the seat bottom is starting to slightly pull apart. Not too big a deal...

Any suggestions for repair or damage control?? Especially for #1.

thanks

Yeah about the only "repair" that can be done (without stitching) is to put a backer piece of leather behind the rip and glue it together. There are som hot melt fillers that can be used to cover it, but most will peel right off of something that is flexed a lot. As for the stitching, you can take the leather off and re sew it on a machine if you have one, then re apply it to the seat.

Yeah about the only "repair" that can be done (without stitching) is to put a backer piece of leather behind the rip and glue it together. There are som hot melt fillers that can be used to cover it, but most will peel right off of something that is flexed a lot. As for the stitching, you can take the leather off and re sew it on a machine if you have one, then re apply it to the seat.

x2 for this one, I did the same to my other car, a 1962 Wolseley 24/80. One by one, Gluing patches on the back & hand stiching. Then after polishing with some boot polish, looks lke new.

--DuckMan.

i used hook needles and waxed saddle thread to fix my seat bottoms. It held up for a couple years before the thread ripped through the original holes in the seat. I used an "X" pattern stitch, but it retrospect, i should have used the baseball style stitch as it doesn't require you to pass through the same hole twice. I was able to stitch them up with the leather upholstery still on the seat.

• 1 month later...

the leather seats in nissans are just leather covers held on very tight with springs

the covers can be replaced with dealer parts ($200 for a set)

makes leather repair a stupid idea, the cheapest i found to fix a crack in leather was $125

1682nfh_20.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...