Discussion of Front Hubs - Manual vs Automatic

My autos have never let me down, and I've never gotten "stuck" - had a little trouble once, but it was backing up a nice incline out of a parking spot onto almost 4 inches of hard packed snow with an inch+ of ice on top... but that was more my fault than anything. once I put her in 4x4 low I was golden :D

Dude... where'd you find snow? We never get any snow around these parts (and the temps stay in the 60's too) ;)

Edited by k9sar

It was down in Philly 2 years ago - they didn't plow our parking lot at school before the ice storm hit, so the snow got packed with ice on top :) That + a 30 degree incline made it an interesting maneuver, especially with the line of cars behind me... but she made it just fine :D

Any info on the mileage yet?

Not yet, I just filled up my tank today the mileage I calculated was wrong because I've been working on my truck and was driving without having my gps off (speedo way off) I'll know in a couple days when this tank runs out prolly round the weekend.

-Colby

Autos blow, all they are is convenient, period. If you drive in snow and have to rock back and forth the autos will cycle lock-unlock-lock, and if you don't have enough room youo can get stuck, if you wheel at all the manuals are the way to go, period.

Autos blow, all they are is convenient, period. If you drive in snow and have to rock back and forth the autos will cycle lock-unlock-lock, and if you don't have enough room youo can get stuck, if you wheel at all the manuals are the way to go, period.

Well, to be terribly honest... if you need to rock at all, you're already stuck :)

As I said - I do minor off-road snow wheeling, as well as dealing with never-plowed roads (where I live, they don't plow any roads till it's half a foot or more, and they almost never plow my secondary roads till last, meaning there can sometimes be two feet or more) and I've never had issues, be it snow, ice, sleet, freezing rain, hail, mud, etc. *shrugs*

I would agree, though, that for more hardcore off-roading, you'd prolly want manuals :) For the daily driver / weekend warrior, autos are just fine :)

Come up here to canada, then you'll see what winter is really like. Try that much snow plus even more with the drifts and the fact that the rural roads are hardly plowed. I guess the good thing about the small town I live in is that they use sand and not salt. So if I didn't have to drive into downtown everyday my pathy probably wouldn't rust!

But anyways, the auto hubs are fine for most people but hard core wheeling the manuals are better.

Well, to be terribly honest... if you need to rock at all, you're already stuck :)

So what's that mean, that you cry and call AAA :headwall:

With a 4wd vehicle and manual hubs you stand and infinitely better chance of extracting yourself, the autos are a crap shoot. Here's my last auto hub experience after which I sold them, winter in Brooklyn, we had about three feet of snow, I was parked and some Dbag parked behind me and I had almost no room to get out because as I went forwards and backwards in the small space I had it was only enough to lock-unlock the hubs, they wouldn't re-lock. It took forever and too much shoveling.

Glad you realize that the manuals are better though!

My autos gave me nothing but grief, they wouldnt lock in reverse half the time and wouldn't disengage when i wanted them to. For the price of the warns I had very little problem making up my mind when it came to reliability. Only suggestion with the warns is dont use the studs that come with them buy proper appropriate sized grade 8 bolts and use lock washers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've officially gone through more than a tank of gas and I can say with 100% clarity that there is absolutely no difference in mileage between auto hubs and the warn manuals I installed.

-Colby

My autos gave me nothing but grief, they wouldnt lock in reverse half the time and wouldn't disengage when i wanted them to. For the price of the warns I had very little problem making up my mind when it came to reliability. Only suggestion with the warns is dont use the studs that come with them buy proper appropriate sized grade 8 bolts and use lock washers.

Second the grade 8 bolts on the warn hubs. I broke the studs on install at the torque level warn specified. BTW, I used stainless since others rust and dont look so good.

Edited by andreus009