New here

solidbob

New to the forum and new to Pathfinders. Was just looking to buy a cheap car to get around and stumbled upon my 1992 Pathfinder. Paid 800 for it. It's got 190,000 miles. Auto 4X4 and pretty loaded. Wasn't really interested in it too much as I live in college town and bike most places but I drove it for a few days and started to really enjoy it. Then I found this forum and now think I may become obsessed with it.

I hope to start posting in the garage section soon as there are quite a few thing I'd like to fix/upgrade/replace.

I already know I need a new stater. I got the oil changed the other day and it wouldn't start in the parking lot of the shop. A few hammer taps and it was back up. It was about to go anyway but from what I've read sound like they may have spilled some oil on it and killed it.

The gas gauge doesn't seem to work. I put 7 gallons in when I first got it and nothing. Still researching that one.

The wipers and the heat/ac only work sometimes, not consistent it seems and definitely seems to be wipers/heat/ac together. All other dash components work as well as stereo. Power door lock switch isn't working, i'll check out the relays and the timer.

Anyway, look forward to interacting with everyone, seems to be quite a wealth of knowledge here. I know most of this info belongs in the garage/how to section but any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Yes the starter will always get oil dumped on it when you change the oil unless you buy an oil filter relocation kit, but it's usually never enough to kill the starter. Dead starters are just a common issue for Pathfinders (happened to mine several years ago). Replace it and you'll have no problems for several years.

Hope we can help you with all of your other issues!

:welcome:

G'day Mate, welcome. Most of us bought our first Pathy because they are cheap, not thinking they would take up so much of our time and energy, doesnt take long before it owns you though.

New to the forum and new to Pathfinders. Was just looking to buy a cheap car to get around and stumbled upon my 1992 Pathfinder. Paid 800 for it. It's got 190,000 miles. Auto 4X4 and pretty loaded. Wasn't really interested in it too much as I live in college town and bike most places but I drove it for a few days and started to really enjoy it. Then I found this forum and now think I may become obsessed with it.

Welcome to the family WAVEY Most of us are Pathyholics :D

The gas gauge doesn't seem to work. I put 7 gallons in when I first got it and nothing. Still researching that one.

The wipers and the heat/ac only work sometimes, not consistent it seems and definitely seems to be wipers/heat/ac together. All other dash components work as well as stereo. Power door lock switch isn't working, i'll check out the relays and the timer.

My 93 has wiper issues. Turn them on intermittent and they sweep once then not again for like 15min, usually on the way home from work :lol:

That was the box that bolts onto the wiper motor :aok:

Welcome to the forum!!

Yeah, I'd say you got the Pathy bug. Search around for answers (there are a lot of threads on what you need) and post when you need more help... :beer:

B

Welcome and howdy...

As for the starter issue I've never had any problem with mine on the pathy but the one on my impala(red)has a bad ground wire (i think its a ground?)that falls off and it wount start.If it was me and I was worryed about that wire(I can see one on my pathy) I'd just wrap it in some electrical or goriala,chrome tape to keep it dry.