takeing off the cat

shane

hey guys i have a 90 pathfinder 3.0 with a flowmaster 40 series and the stock cat is holding it back i want to take off the cat at run a straight pipe that is removable so i can put the cat back on for emmisions to the flowmaster, any suggestions? has anyone tried this yet and how did it sound? will i get more horsepower? Should i run a bigger pipe or keep it regular size? or is this just a stupid idea?

shanesphonepictures009.jpg

shanesphonepictures008-1.jpg

shanesphonepictures025.jpg

shanesphonepictures024.jpg

I've driven mine with a straight pipe and factory muffler, it wasn't that different. Cops will notice you more as well. Don't do it. Stay legal and get a high flow cat.

Magnaflow Direct bolt ons used show up on ebay all the time. I got mine for 70 or 80 bucks, look up the PN on their site as I think it fits other vehicles too.

It does sound different with no cat on there. Done it with plenty of trucks and it always comes out a little louder and throatier. Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, my truck, and a Cherokee. Power? Stock cat to no cat, probably a good amount. Performance cat to no cat? Probably an extremely minimal difference.

Usually we just weld up flanges to the end of whatever length pipe (size of the rest of the exhaust) and bolt 'er on. :aok:

im tring to get a high flow cat i get pulled over for dumb reasons and thats just one less i dont need. I have a 40 series muffler and no cat. it sounds cool but its way to loud cops hate it.

hmmm well when i get a chance i wanted to redo the entire exhust system with new hig pro headers,high flow cat, delta flow 40 series and split the pipe after the muffler and run two back and all with a 2 1/4 pipe

i don't have the money for all that now and i wanted to make my truck sound nicer without spending alot of money cause im going to need a new clutch pretty soon, im thinking about geting a high flow cat now and put it on, then when i redo the whole system i will just keep the high flow cat and add it to the system. what do you guys think?

and edicer2, do you have a sound clip of what yours sounds like

adamzan, your pathy sounds nice, you said it has no cat with stock muffler or somthing else

hmmm well when i get a chance i wanted to redo the entire exhust system with new hig pro headers,high flow cat, delta flow 40 series and split the pipe after the muffler and run two back and all with a 2 1/4 pipe

i don't have the money for all that now and i wanted to make my truck sound nicer without spending alot of money cause im going to need a new clutch pretty soon, im thinking about geting a high flow cat now and put it on, then when i redo the whole system i will just keep the high flow cat and add it to the system. what do you guys think?

adamzan, your pathy sounds nice, you said it has no cat with stock muffler or somthing else

I thought it sounded like absolute sh!t at the time. I have had the whole system replaced with a walker unit. From the front to the back she's all shiny, and most importantly, quiet.

So are you saying they are low-pro headers that they sell?

:tongue:

lol no im saying anything anything better then ming are high pro, 6 soda cans a coat hanger and a rubber band would put my cracked headers to shame lol

hey guys i have a 90 pathfinder 3.0 with a flowmaster 40 series and the stock cat is holding it back i want to take off the cat at run a straight pipe that is removable so i can put the cat back on for emmisions to the flowmaster, any suggestions? has anyone tried this yet and how did it sound? will i get more horsepower? Should i run a bigger pipe or keep it regular size? or is this just a stupid idea?

shanesphonepictures009.jpg

shanesphonepictures008-1.jpg

shanesphonepictures025.jpg

shanesphonepictures024.jpg

Install a high flow CAT with 2.25-2.5" pipe and that's the best of all worlds. Don't be an ass and run without a CAT, they are there for a very important reason.

Don't bother with the split exhaust. You won't gain anything real, it will just cost more, be harder to hang and more likely to be damaged on the trail.

Yes, set up your exhaust now and just add headers when you can afford to. Please remember, you have a 3 liter V6 (185ish CI); it doesn't need or want a huge sewer pipe exhaust system... ;)

B

I'm leaving my cat's on my 97 and removing the front muffler(Big one) and rear resonator.The big muffler has quarter size rust holes in it and sounds like crap. I have two Thrush Turbo mufflers left over from my Chevelle so i'm welding up a Y pipe to bring the two 1-3/8" stock pipes that feed the stock muffler into the 2-1/2" Turbo muffler. I'm going to try and exit the tail pipe just in front of the passenger rear tire.

Definitely leave the cat or get the high flow one....As stated before putting any bigger diameter exhaust pipe won't gain you much, and i think could actually lower your low end power (which is what we need for off road) I'm hoping my idea will keep the HP and torque the same on the low end.

Here's a good write up on building your own exhaust

Exhaust Design

and also i know this is a bit off topic but i dont want to start a new topic for this question. what psi should i put in my BF goodrich km2s they are 31-10.5 I ushally have them at 35 and drop them to 25 on the trail but i have a small toe due to my torchen bar being cranked up i was concidering bringing to 28 psi for the road and trails. What do you guys think would be a good psi?

whats a good kind of a high flow cat for my 90 pathfinder i want to get one but i have no idea what to get

Magnaflow

http://summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53004/

http://summitracing.com/parts/MPE-22760/

As for tire pressures

I run my AT's at 35 on road and 15 or lower on the trails.

As Kingman said the lower pressure allows them to conform better and you get a bigger contact patch with the ground. In the real world this means: less likely to pop a tire on rocks, and better traction.