Sucking Valve

Crispyc

When my engine idols cold it has a problem with what my brother described as "sucking valve". When it warms up to normal operating temperature it stops doing it. I need a list of possibilities?

Edited by Crispyc

if its tap-tap-tap like a nickel on hardwood than it may be a lifter. the valve may not be fully opening because of this.

Or I'm totally wrong and it's something I don't know about.

Although I do have a tap, I'm making referance to a seperate issue. If you hold a piece of paper an inch or two from the exhaust pipe it will periodically suck the paper toward it. I have had a slight prblem with this for a while, but this weekend I changed the sparkplugs, wires, rotor cap and rotor button. After changing them it started doing it a lot, to the point where some times the engine cuts off. When the temperature needle stars to go up it starts to smooth out and when its hot it does not happen at all.

Are the rpms going up and down?

It does go up and down a little bit until the engine warms up. I have not checked the timing yet.

Edited by Crispyc

"Sucking a valve" or "dropping a valve" is what happens when a valve breaks at the stem end and drops into the combustion chamber with catastrophic results. I'd check the timing first. ;)

Usally caused by extreme Rpms

I'd check for a hose missing...causing A vacum leak...mine did this and it was a missing hose on the back of the engine.The Fuel pressure regulator hose.It plugs into the intake.

It would suck if you checked the timing and it turns out to be a hose.

Edited by nismothunder