Forum Suspension Talk

TheCrow

alexrex20, even though he's banned

Banned ? when ? and why ? i recall he used to pick on everything but what's the reason of his bann ?

Not trying to :jacked:

Banned ? when ? and why ? i recall he used to pick on everything but what's the reason of his bann ?

Not trying to :jacked:

He posted in a thread after he was warned to not be involved (the whole R50 SFD)...I don't agree with the ban and I've noticed that the mod's have gotten pretty crazy over the past 2 months or so compared to past 3 year's that i've been around...so with all of that I have cut back my participation significantly just popping in here and there but I'm not starting new topics and not updating my build progress here...it'll probably show up other places in time...

He posted in a thread after he was warned to not be involved (the whole R50 SFD)...I don't agree with the ban and I've noticed that the mod's have gotten pretty crazy over the past 2 months or so compared to past 3 year's that i've been around...so with all of that I have cut back my participation significantly just popping in here and there but I'm not starting new topics and not updating my build progress here...it'll probably show up other places in time...

:jacked:

:lol:

I'm fine with any and all actions that create a mature, welcome space where people can post comments/questions/ideas without being ridiculed or treated like morons.

The nice thing about the internet is that folks are free to come and go as they wish. I'm staying for now.

Man, I totally contributed to the thread jacking!

Sorry Terrano!

:jacked:

We have simply been enforcing the rules that have always been a part of the community. With the added activity, came added violations of the rules. To try and contain them, we had to step up the enforcement. It's nothing personal with anyone, it's purely for preserving the setting that keeps people coming back and sets NPORA apart from other forums on the web.

As for alexrex20, we has not been banned. He was suspended for a very short period of time, for the reasons you stated above. That came and went, and when he returned his chosen actions led to a second, longer term suspension. He's not been banned, but that is a possibility and will likely be left in his hands, based on his actions if/when he returns.

We are not a heavy handed forum, there has only been one member banned that I can think of in the entire history of the forums. And only a hand full who have ever been suspended. Normally a short cool off period is enough and people come back to be continued and even more valued members here.

And I have to say that I am very sorry to hear that you see it that way uncc, your well liked around here, including by myself. It's to bad that you don't seem to feel the same. Everyone has interest in your truck and the work you have done and continue to do, too it.

This is all internal business, but I wanted to share the true circumstances involving the situation at hand. Just so you know, we always try and work things out peacefully before suspending or worse yet, banning anyone.

But anyway, this is the TOTM thread, is it not? :aok:

Ive been a admin on a few sites, some with 200 members, and one with 15000+...Its a big job....and sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do....But i was one of those 15000+ for three years, just working on my design team, and we rebelled and fought with the admins/mods, ive been banned more than a few times....and i fully support the ban/suspension, and to the extent that this forum has taken it, is really nothing in comparision to what MOST do...I think that since for the most part, we are all very well mannered and brotherhood-like, that noone has really seen the actions need to be taken, so when the mods/admins do need to do that, everyone is appauled....

I think a extended suspension is a very appropriate punishment, and is exactly what myself, or anyone on my old team would do on our forums, but if he was truly banned, it would be a different tune..

I have personally been suspended/banned from my fair share of forums, and been suspended with my entire team....and i gotta say, the first suspension usually pisses the person off, and the second usually makes them want revenge, so it is usually, if not always, neccesary to use a prolonged suspension, in excess of 3 weeks or a few months sometimes.....

We also developed a court system with the larger forum, with selected judges, a head judge, and people could appeal bans/suspensions, with witnesses and such....but seeing as how the ban/suspend rate is so low, this forum doesn't really have a need for it...

Sorry to add more fluff/thread jack....

But I gotta hand it to alex, for what its worth...he pointed out the whole situation with my and 3 other members SFD's. If it were not for his post who knows what would have happened. All he did when he came back was delete his posts (which is not going against any rules of the forum)...and with that he is "suspended" for a month. If things are really going to get that stiff around here then thats pretty lame. Its not that im calling anyone out, I love this forum and all its members to death but seriously....a month for deleting some stuff that he had a right to delete. So with that note, I commend alex for what he did. And to me he is one of the best members on this site :hugs::beer:

Edited by 01silvapathy

I think Alexrex was right by bringing up the SFD thread because it made things happen for the people being screwed, and though he could have been kinder in his initial post it was all true at the time.

That being said his follow up posts in that thread were all taking it too far and there have been a lot of threads he posted in simply to insult people, and I just don't feel that is necessary when someone needs help, no matter how trivial the question seems or if they didn't search.

That being said (again) I think he would have made a great addition to PoHo since we can all be our little asshole selves there...

I am not going to get into specifics here, but please keep in mind that your not getting the entire story OR history, when it comes from only one source :togo:

No one doubts that he is the reason progress was made, but is he the one who should have done it? Not in my opinion. And the way he did it was questionable as was what he continued to do after the first post.

"stuff that he had a right to delete" This theory has been used many times on the Internet, but the truth is, when you post something on the Internet it becomes the property of the website you posted it too, at least in regard to forums. You also should consider looking at this in the bigger picture, he did not just take his posts when he started deleting them, alex was and I hope will be again a valued member here but he took some valuable information away from the entire community. Not just in his topics or posts, but those actions also disrupted the flow of other members threads. It also results in some members posts not making sense because what they replied too, or referenced, is no longer there. Is that truly something the be applauded? I'm sorry, but I do not believe it is.

The only reason anybody has the ability to edit or delete their posts is because that option has been enabled within the forum software. Now it does not have to be that way, but it is and is intended to be used by members for correcting mistakes or expanding on a post when they realized more needed to be added.

To be completely honest with you, I am the one who suspended him the second time. I logged and was alerted to the activity. And I made the decision to stop it. I took it as malicious activity and in my opinon a bit questionable from a maturity standpoint. There was no attempt made to talk about it before simply deleting and editing everything out.

That seems like a plain showing that one does not want to be a part of the community anymore.. and there are far better ways to handle that. We can delete accounts on request, but again, there was no communication attempt made.

I didn't expect it to actually get moved, just enjoy TOTM too much to see other BS get mixed in.

Not to worry, we were going to if it progress to much anyway :beer:

And this is only a temporary thread anyway ;)

Not to worry, we were going to if it progress to much anyway :beer:

And this is only a temporary thread anyway ;)

I'm not the most observant(heck I didn't really follow the whole why the suspension occored thing, wasn't my place) but one of the things I do know is TOTM i sone of the non-thinking/worrying/caring threads. I just want to drool over others stuff, vote and be happy! :beer:

Scott I applaud your decision making, I think you did what was right for the community. I tend to wonder what the people who just like to look around and found our info using search functions must think about us when they see people behaving like that in numerous posts in multiple threads, I am proud to be a member here because we have a great community with a lot of vets who are very helpful to newbs when the same question is asked a lot. I liked Alex but he just needed to chill a bit on some posts and think of how it makes the forum look.

That being said (again) I think he would have made a great addition to PoHo since we can all be our little asshole selves there...

Yes, but my impression is that most/all of the folks in PoHo usually contribute meaningfully elsewhere. PoHo's just a place to post when you're killing time, found something funny, want to chat etc. As I understand it, PoHo is NOT the purpose of NPORA or this forum. Twitter, Facebook and so on are available for general-purpose stuff. I PoHo but I try to balance that with meaningful posts and try to help folks out if I can.

As Red and OldSlowReliable pointed out, these issues are not specific to NPORA, its members or the moderators. They're everywhere human beings congregate, in the physical or virtual world. Maturity and politeness are not age-specific either. OldSlowReliable, Kingman and Laxman are all very young compared to some of us. But they know a great deal, contribute regularly and are not schmucks about it.

One of the great benefits of the internet is that, unlike the physical world, people can move freely and instantly. This allows you to find your niche and either become part of a self-selecting community or find another.

Being disruptive or a pain because you have low self-esteem, need therapy and/or your identity are completely tied up in one narrow aspect of life (your car/truck and attendant virtual representation) is really not the community's problem. There are many resources online and in the physical world to help you. But honey, I ain't got the time or the money. Or, put another way,"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d***."

No one says we are the Borg. No one is forced to post here. I think all folks here ask is that you try to be helpful, courteous and mature. If you can't, find another spot in the terabytes upon terabytes of the internet.

Edited by GoPathyGo

I am not going to get into specifics here, but please keep in mind that your not getting the entire story OR history, when it comes from only one source :togo:

No one doubts that he is the reason progress was made, but is he the one who should have done it? Not in my opinion. And the way he did it was questionable as was what he continued to do after the first post.

"stuff that he had a right to delete" This theory has been used many times on the Internet, but the truth is, when you post something on the Internet it becomes the property of the website you posted it too, at least in regard to forums. You also should consider looking at this in the bigger picture, he did not just take his posts when he started deleting them, alex was and I hope will be again a valued member here but he took some valuable information away from the entire community. Not just in his topics or posts, but those actions also disrupted the flow of other members threads. It also results in some members posts not making sense because what they replied too, or referenced, is no longer there. Is that truly something the be applauded? I'm sorry, but I do not believe it is.

The only reason anybody has the ability to edit or delete their posts is because that option has been enabled within the forum software. Now it does not have to be that way, but it is and is intended to be used by members for correcting mistakes or expanding on a post when they realized more needed to be added.

To be completely honest with you, I am the one who suspended him the second time. I logged and was alerted to the activity. And I made the decision to stop it. I took it as malicious activity and in my opinon a bit questionable from a maturity standpoint. There was no attempt made to talk about it before simply deleting and editing everything out.

That seems like a plain showing that one does not want to be a part of the community anymore.. and there are far better ways to handle that. We can delete accounts on request, but again, there was no communication attempt made.

If his information and posts were o so valuable then why did you Suspend him? And im sorry if I contribute something to this site, and I decide to leave, and take that info with me then that is my right to do so....it doesnt "becomes the property of the site"...it can if you want to pay me for it and all my time and effort that goes into posting stuff up here.....may as well have everyone sign a waiver that states "whatever you say post or do on this forum no longer belongs to you" then go ahead....im sure that will be a huge success with all the new members :aok: And as per the whole saying "rude" things in other posts..... what I say is my honest opinion, one that I have a right to say, and i would think that everyone on this forum is mature enough to take it as it comes not go and complain to a mod or admin about it.

redpath stated- "No one doubts that he is the reason progress was made, but is he the one who should have done it? Not in my opinion."

Now read that sentence...does it make sense? NO, you want to know the truth there, I asked him to do it for me, yep I didnt want to get into trouble with the mods thats why I asked him to..and you know what im glad that he did because obviously he got banned or "suspended" as some here like to call it

Now onto how to fix this

I suggest that in the future it takes more then one person to ban someone......cause just like how you said......your not getting the entire story

There is a difference between rude and derogatory, which a lot of his posts were.

:yeahthat:

I hate to say it, but technically Red's right on this one. This place is essentially like a town square or a cafeteria. Once you've said something, everyone's heard it and it's become part of the community discourse. You are certainly welcome to leave the square or cafeteria, but you can no more "undo" what you said than you can pull the words back out of thin air and swallow 'em.

Apparently I need to clarify a couple things...

Before I start though I would like to point out that I understand you and he are friends and you are standing up for him. I respect that, but also ask that you take a step back and try and look at it from a neutral standpoint. :beer:

1: His prior constructive posts and input was helpful to the community, but when it was simply disruptive behavior that did not respect others, it became a problem for everyone as a whole.

Your time and effort in posting or sharing information is purely optional and you willing volunteer it all, no one has forced your hand and no one ever offered payment. What is posted does become part of the forum. As it does in any other forum or blog or anything else were users can contribute willingly and without compensation.

I guess though compensation is not the correct word to use, because you do get something out of it every time a question is answered, be it one you publicly asked or simply search for an answer too.

And yes we do have admin and mods here and the whole point of them is to keep things running and appropriate according to the rules and established environment. If someone feels that another has stepped out of that, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it.

2: I fail to see how that does not make sense. He started the thread and as such progress was made in your deals. And again I don't think he is the one who should have started it, you and/or the others directly involved should have. And that is my opinion, why? Because I found my self in a very similar situation a while back. Difference is I stepped up and posted about it myself.

3 The "fix" is between alex and the Moderation Team (which includes admins and mods)

4 The forum Admins and Mods are a team here, we make joint decisions, we talk about everything going on. Don't fool yourself into thinking that we don't work together, because we have on going conversations about all issues and changes. We all offer input and we come to a mutual decision. The only time we act alone is when the situation calls for it, then we talk about it and move forward as a group.

I'm fine with any and all actions that create a mature, welcome space where people can post comments/questions/ideas without being ridiculed or treated like morons.

true. we could also do without the condescending tone of some posts...

I as well feel thats a shame unc, i urge you to post your stuff here. I enjoy seeing it and others do to. Alex was rude to many people, you help many people. Please continue to do so.

Red, and other Mods/ Admin

I say good call on all of your actions. This is a place about helping people with Pathfinders. Some people decided to do the opposite of that and make people feel unwelcome. I was glad it stopped.

Now... who has a question about their Pathfinder???? :itsallgood:

Edited by beavis0076

If his information and posts were o so valuable then why did you Suspend him? And im sorry if I contribute something to this site, and I decide to leave, and take that info with me then that is my right to do so....it doesnt "becomes the property of the site"...it can if you want to pay me for it and all my time and effort that goes into posting stuff up here.....may as well have everyone sign a waiver that states "whatever you say post or do on this forum no longer belongs to you" then go ahead...

If you actually read the Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules & Guildelines that you agreed to when you registered, you would know that this IS in fact true, of nearly every internet resource. This website is Privately owned and operated, and any information contained within this website is properly of the owner of the website, and the owner only, regardless of its contributor. If you submit an editorial to a newspaper, it becomes the property of the newspaper to do with as they will and publish as they see fit. This is the same situation, only digital.

I'm going to echo what Red said earlier, EVERY major decision affecting the forum operations, or its members is discussed thoroughly before any action is taken, with the exception of extremely urgent circumstances. Then action is taken to stop the immediate issue, and it is then discussed thoroughly before any FINAL action is taken.

But I gotta hand it to alex, for what its worth...he pointed out the whole situation with my and 3 other members SFD's. If it were not for his post who knows what would have happened. All he did when he came back was delete his posts (which is not going against any rules of the forum)...and with that he is "suspended" for a month. If things are really going to get that stiff around here then thats pretty lame. Its not that im calling anyone out, I love this forum and all its members to death but seriously....a month for deleting some stuff that he had a right to delete. So with that note, I commend alex for what he did. And to me he is one of the best members on this site :hugs::beer:

not his to do as he pleases.. as explained by red and venge.

That being said his follow up posts in that thread were all taking it too far and there have been a lot of threads he posted in simply to insult people, and I just don't feel that is necessary when someone needs help, no matter how trivial the question seems or if they didn't search.

yes, and yes to poho..

If his information and posts were o so valuable then why did you Suspend him? And im sorry if I contribute something to this site, and I decide to leave, and take that info with me then that is my right to do so....it doesnt "becomes the property of the site"...it can if you want to pay me for it and all my time and effort that goes into posting stuff up here.....may as well have everyone sign a waiver that states "whatever you say post or do on this forum no longer belongs to you" then go ahead....im sure that will be a huge success with all the new members :aok: And as per the whole saying "rude" things in other posts..... what I say is my honest opinion, one that I have a right to say, and i would think that everyone on this forum is mature enough to take it as it comes not go and complain to a mod or admin about it.

redpath stated- "No one doubts that he is the reason progress was made, but is he the one who should have done it? Not in my opinion."

Now read that sentence...does it make sense? NO, you want to know the truth there, I asked him to do it for me, yep I didnt want to get into trouble with the mods thats why I asked him to..and you know what im glad that he did because obviously he got banned or "suspended" as some here like to call it

Now onto how to fix this

I suggest that in the future it takes more then one person to ban someone......cause just like how you said......your not getting the entire story

again, not his.. and do you seriously think we don't talk about you all behind your backs? ;)

There is a difference between rude and derogatory, which a lot of his posts were.

thank you

:yeahthat:

I hate to say it, but technically Red's right on this one. This place is essentially like a town square or a cafeteria. Once you've said something, everyone's heard it and it's become part of the community discourse. You are certainly welcome to leave the square or cafeteria, but you can no more "undo" what you said than you can pull the words back out of thin air and swallow 'em.

thanks.. red is right no matter what.. point 7 of the rules

so how's the Ignore List feature coming along?

can't you not read the statements by people you don't want to read?

Apparently I need to clarify a couple things...

Before I start though I would like to point out that I understand you and he are friends and you are standing up for him. I respect that, but also ask that you take a step back and try and look at it from a neutral standpoint. :beer:

1: His prior constructive posts and input was helpful to the community, but when it was simply disruptive behavior that did not respect others, it became a problem for everyone as a whole.

Your time and effort in posting or sharing information is purely optional and you willing volunteer it all, no one has forced your hand and no one ever offered payment. What is posted does become part of the forum. As it does in any other forum or blog or anything else were users can contribute willingly and without compensation.

I guess though compensation is not the correct word to use, because you do get something out of it every time a question is answered, be it one you publicly asked or simply search for an answer too.

And yes we do have admin and mods here and the whole point of them is to keep things running and appropriate according to the rules and established environment. If someone feels that another has stepped out of that, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it.

2: I fail to see how that does not make sense. He started the thread and as such progress was made in your deals. And again I don't think he is the one who should have started it, you and/or the others directly involved should have. And that is my opinion, why? Because I found my self in a very similar situation a while back. Difference is I stepped up and posted about it myself.

3 The "fix" is between alex and the Moderation Team (which includes admins and mods)

4 The forum Admins and Mods are a team here, we make joint decisions, we talk about everything going on. Don't fool yourself into thinking that we don't work together, because we have on going conversations about all issues and changes. We all offer input and we come to a mutual decision. The only time we act alone is when the situation calls for it, then we talk about it and move forward as a group.

yes, alex has been going wild for some time.. this definitely wasn't his sole offense.

read number 4 again, folks.

I as well feel thats a shame unc, i urge you to post your stuff here. I enjoy seeing it and others do to. Alex was rude to many people, you help many people. Please continue to do so.

Red, and other Mods/ Admin

I say good call on all of your actions. This is a place about helping people with Pathfinders. Some people decided to do the opposite of that and make people feel unwelcome. I was glad it stopped.

Now... who has a question about their Pathfinder???? :itsallgood:

yes, uncc...

and thanks beavis.

and also oldslowreliable, thanks for pitching your pennies in.. i think we're very relaxed here.

Let me just say this as someone who doesn't know Alex from Adam (meaning I don't know him), I was happy to see that he started the thread about the other Alex & the lifts. What trasnpired behind the scenes between Alex & Mods/Admins I don't know but I know that there have been a couple of PM's from Mods/Admins about my behavior/speach/posts on this site that have occured in the last 2 or so years I've been around (some of them I accept some of them... eh :shrug: ), so I was not confident in starting a call-out-thread. I just figured it would probably get shut down mainly becuase at that point when it all came out it I had already boiled over (and if you noticed a fair number of my posts had to be edited for content or whatever reasons) & I would/was not very friendly or nice in the posts. That all being said I'll reitterate (spelling?) that I don't know what happened behind the scenes of all of that mess.

I will say that I have been banned from a number of sites (political/firearms/art/offroad related sites) mainly because of my language & general bad taste. That is who I am if you meet me in person so this is who you get on the net. I have tried to make a concess effort over here to be careful in how/what I say just so I don't become like Vsixpathy (or whatever his name was - I care so little I can't even remember), but at the same time I'm in the same boat as unccpathfinder in that if it gets really tight I'll just bounce like I did over on AC's forum (sorry Dean).

this site was raised by Mr. Jim. this is what he had to say about what he wanted: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=389

we just simply uphold it.. and yes, we have been rather laxed in the past but things have been slipping away from these ideals for a while..

of course we want all of you to participate but those are the rules to live by here.