Bilstein Shocks

EmptyV

So I've got almost all of the components for my suspension lift, the last thing I need are shocks and it seems that bilstein are the way to go. So does anyone know of which ones to go with? I called 4x4 a while back and asked them which part number they use for the suspension lift packages and dude didn't know. I don't think he even knew where he was.

Billy

Guys, super cool to know what has worked and what hasn't...but what did you think of thm, firm soft agile etc.? I still have my oem's on the rear and I think they are giving out, quite a bit of bound after large highway abutments! I want a medium firm, agile ride...which one would I chose?

I recall that the Rancho's had a number out there that fit our trucks and had a longer reach than OEM too any info on a bilstein that is extended?

I had RS9000XL & busted one & Rancho sent me a RS5000 as a repalcement... The product sucks & the company sucks even harder. The next time I'm either going with Bilsteins or Fox.

x2 on Rancho. I was NOT impressed with their RSX front struts. KYBs a higher quality product in terms of fit and finish, real-world handling, ride and flex.

I don't think anyone makes front struts or rear shocks higher than stock. That's part of the whole "topping out" problem when you get the AC lift.

In the 3,000 or so miles I've put on the truck - mostly highway, some mud and a bit of flexing on berms - the Bilsteins have provided a very consistent, smooth ride. Never had any kind of problems with rear compression or with them interfering with axle articulation - and this when on one flex I literally had the tire up against the fender.

x2 on Rancho. I was NOT impressed with their RSX front struts. KYBs a higher quality product in terms of fit and finish, real-world handling, ride and flex.

I run KYB GR2's up front I only have the Ranchos in the rear. I couldn't be more happy with the KYB's (super nice ride).

As far as I knew, we could use any shocks, since the mounts are pretty standard, right?

Nope alexrex20 got 2 bilstein 7100's and the mounts were different, idk what he did but he somehow retrofitted the ends to fit, ill post up some pics for him since he got banned for a month :thumbsdown: These shocks also win the award for most pretty :laugh:

bilsteins3.jpg

bilsteins2.jpg

bilsteinflex.jpg

Edited by 01silvapathy

So I talked to alex and this is a post from him through me :D

I switched one of the shock ends from a 1/2in Heim to a 15mm poly bushing.

On the non-resi 7100s, you need to mount the shock body on the bottom, or the tire will hit the schrader valvev at full stuff.

The only resi shock that will work is one with a flexible extension. the resi shocks with hard-mounted reservoirs will not fit without custom modification. You can get the conversion bushing from an off road parts store. particularly for ATVs

That is all, just passin on the word, and clearing up some questions, questions that would have otherwise gone un-answered

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you mount a specific performance shock like a 7100 series upside down then it wont perform like its suppose to. Shocks like that have specific compression and rebound and when you mount it upside down then those numbers are backwards.

This isn't true. The shock will still have the same compression and the same rebound no matter how it is mounted. But the life of the shock and its characteristics over time will be altered and you are correct in it isn't recommended unless it specifically says so.

I was referring to how it sits on the vehicle. It'll still have the same rebound and compression numbers but when it mount it upside down on the vehicle then they are reversed... When you mount a 7100 series shock with 255/70 valving the right side up, you have 255 N at 0.52 m/s on the rebound side. And 700 N at 0.52 m/s on the compression side. So when you mount the shock upside down whats going to happen? numbers are reversed which would drastically effect the way it performs. So dont mount your shocks upside down lol.

Edited by nissandoms47

yup nissandoms is right. unless the shock is meant to be run upside down, (some are meant to do it) it messes with the valving and will give you a harsh and unsafe ride.