Buy a Class III/IV Hitch!

The topic says it all, but yesterday my hitch saved my ass, literally. A Neon hit me in a school zone, I don't thinks she even hit her brakes, no skid mark anywhere, just a pool of green coolant left on the road. I'm not sure how extensive the damage is to the her car, but the hitch went all the way up hood, just shy of the windshield, making a giant V grove along the way. Her headlights were probably close to hitting my rear tires. There is no damage at all to my vehicle except that the plastic ring around the hitch that holds the plastic "reece" cap in place, broke. The cap is still fine if you can believe that.

I think that if there was no hitch on there, the trunk door and bumper would have been damaged and maybe the impact would have been more violent, but maybe not. For the $200 or whatever the hitch cost, it is still less than the deductable had there been any damage.

My 2 cents

Edited by Orangetang

I've been rear ended twice. Hitch saved my truck both times, and screwed up the other car. Funny thing, they were both POS ricer cars.

...my hitch did not save my truck...but i surely made some architectural carving in the BMW X5's radiator and bumber... that rammed into me...that kind of consolate me...

Edited by Pinip

That sucks. I guess anything with a front end that starts higher than the hitch will still hurt. Kingman, the neon had tribal seat covers, so I'll go with semi-ricer in my case ;) What kind of cool tube plug should I buy to replace mine? Something rubber I think.

I did look underneath. Everything looks solid, and I even torqued on the bolts to see if any of them sheared or would turn, but they are solid. This might have been a knee jerk reaction to something I saw at work... While travelling in convoy (too closely, and another company) a tractor trailer rear ended another one... The radiator and intercooler where damaged on the tractor but the other truck was OK, so they decided to tow the broken down tractor to a safe area. In doing so they pulled the entire front suspension, axle and bumper assembly out from under the tractor (the bolts sheared), and the tractor collapsed onto the oilpan and transmission. Not a pretty sight, not an easy situation. Want pics?

I did look underneath. Everything looks solid, and I even torqued on the bolts to see if any of them sheared or would turn, but they are solid. This might have been a knee jerk reaction to something I saw at work... While travelling in convoy (too closely, and another company) a tractor trailer rear ended another one... The radiator and intercooler where damaged on the tractor but the other truck was OK, so they decided to tow the broken down tractor to a safe area. In doing so they pulled the entire front suspension, axle and bumper assembly out from under the tractor (the bolts sheared), and the tractor collapsed onto the oilpan and transmission. Not a pretty sight, not an easy situation. Want pics?

yess !! why not ...

good, it would suck if it did crack a little bit and then tear open some time down the road when the insurance company won't repair it

good, it would suck if it did crack a little bit and then tear open some time down the road when the insurance company won't repair it

True... It looks okay, but who can really tell 100%? I'll just go with it. She pretty much just lifted me up rather than a blunt blow from behind. Here are the seperated from frame pics.

post-1862-1241844724_thumb.jpg

post-1862-1241844731_thumb.jpg

post-1862-1241844739_thumb.jpg

That happened to my dad in his truck. Some old man rearended him & the hitch went through the radiator. The guy was able to run his car though (an old Towncar) & since there wasn't any damage to my dad's truck they simply parted ways.

Good to hear the hitch saved the day!

Next time just drive around with the drop and ball attached. :)

Funny I was thinking the same thing! That is another massive amount of metal!

Great pics by the way, thanks for sharing.

Edited by 02silverpathy

Glad everyone was alright! Love those pictures. Hopefully you weren't responsible for cleanup on that job.

Hitch saved my bacon twice in my old Samurai, once killing a Ford Tempo, and the other cracking the bumper quite nicely on a Chev Corsica.

MY wd21 sent an 06 blazer to the wrecking yard when it hit me on the rear passenger corner. the whole fender was tucked behind his crooked wheel... there was hardly any damage to my rig prolly thanks to the tire carrier.

How about one of those "Remove to tow Chev's" or ford or dodge. Pick the domestic that you dislike the most :)

hells yeah, i've never seen one that says that though, where can i get one?