SOOO...Seafoam?

So im bored and I was thinking of seafoaming the pathy. I have never seafoamed the pathy and its got 90k on it. I have the VQ, so where do yall put it? What lines or do you just dump it into the fuel tank?. I really think that I should do this, but idk where to put it. A pic would help also lol

Right on top of the intake manifold, there are a couple rubber hoses clamped onto little pipes coming out of the intake and then one going to a solenoid. Disconnect the tubing going to the solenoid and then get a cup and fill with sea foam and turn the engine on. Slowly submerge the pipe in the seafoam until it sucks it all up. Turn the engine off and let sit for about 10 minutes and start it back up and rev it up and run it for a while/ take for a short drive to clear the sea foam out.

I've done it to my 01 QX4 twice in the last 3 months and it's running great. You'll need someone to keep on the throttle because it will die when it starts sucking up through the vacuum line. As ronin said, if you're looking in your engine compartment there us a clamped hose, I think it's the brake booster line, in the back right that you can pull off with some pliers. Use 1/3 of a bottle in that line, 1/3 in your crank case where you add oil and 1/3 in your gas tank. Let it sit for 15min, drive 10-15 miles and change oil. I'll be doing it next oil change and then probably every 3rd oil change.

Billy

Why do you do yours ever 3rd oil change? I do mine every oil change.

I've done it twice in a row and wanted to give it a break. I doubt that much carbon will be built up in 3-4K miles. Why waste the money?

Billy

Is the process the same for the VG33E and the VQ35DE? :scratchhead:

the process is the same for any modern internal combustion engine (hell, even works on rotaries!)

Okay so I looked into the engine compartment and saw a @!*%load of different hoses and stuff, im going to take a pic and ask you exactly what hose lol.....engine work scares me :(

The directions on the Seafoam can say just pour in through the throttle body slowly. So rather than finding this said hose, why not just disconnect the intake pipe and with the engine running pour in the Seafoam? :scratchhead:

The directions on the Seafoam can say just pour in through the throttle body slowly. So rather than finding this said hose, why not just disconnect the intake pipe and with the engine running pour in the Seafoam? :scratchhead:

Im not looking at my engine now, but it seems to me that the throttle body is sideways on the VQ...thus there is a problem, kinda hard to pour a liquid sideways lol

Im not looking at my engine now, but it seems to me that the throttle body is sideways on the VQ...thus there is a problem, kinda hard to pour a liquid sideways lol

Said hose is actually really easy to find:

photo-4.jpg

Billy

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help, I have been reading in a few other places that you should change your oil soon after, and also that you can hurt the engine by doing this, that there is soo much buildup that you can hurt the engine, note that i have 90k and its never been done, and I have quite the lead foot :)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help, I have been reading in a few other places that you should change your oil soon after, and also that you can hurt the engine by doing this, that there is soo much buildup that you can hurt the engine, note that i have 90k and its never been done, and I have quite the lead foot :)

I've got 190,000+ miles on mine and it's running better then ever. The first time I did it I was at about 184,000 miles and it didn't cause any problems for my Q. I've also been adding marvel mystery oil into my gas tank for the last 5 fill-ups.

Billy

• 2 weeks later...

So I am having some serious oil burning issues and I am trying to do a little to help the problem...when you add seafoam to the oil, how long do you leave it in before you change the oil?

Also, if you think there is any other fluids I can use to help clear up some of the sludge throw them at me, right now I have 1 qt of the Lucas Oil stabilizer, but I wanted to know what the process for seafoam is and if you all think it would work. Note that I will be replacing my valve cover later this summer to alleviate the problem.

So I am having some serious oil burning issues and I am trying to do a little to help the problem...when you add seafoam to the oil, how long do you leave it in before you change the oil?

With the engine at idle, allow 1/3 of the can to be slowly drawn via vacuum into the intake manifold. I used the EVAP line to ingest the Seafoam. On my engine, the EVAP line is located immediately after the throttle body, which provides better distribution throughout the manifold than the brake booster. Shut the engine off and wait 5 minutes. While you're waiting, pour 1/3 of the can into your gas tank. Pour 1/3 of the can into the crankcase, then drive TEN miles. Wait for the engine to cool, then change the oil and filter.

Edited by XPLORx4

With the engine at idle, allow 1/3 of the can to be slowly drawn via vacuum into the intake manifold. I used the EVAP line to ingest the Seafoam. On my engine, the EVAP line is located immediately after the throttle body, which provides better distribution throughout the manifold than the brake booster. Shut the engine off and wait 5 minutes. While you're waiting, pour 1/3 of the can into your gas tank. Pour 1/3 of the can into the crankcase, then drive TEN miles. Wait for the engine to cool, then change the oil and filter.

So I take it, based on this post, to use a whole can in one go for optimal results, ideally right before an oil change...? :scratchhead:

So I take it, based on this post, to use a whole can in one go for optimal results, ideally right before an oil change...? :scratchhead:

Yep. You can get a wider variety of opinions by googling "seafoam procedure". I formulated my above response based on my own experience as well as the information I learned via google.

Yep. You can get a wider variety of opinions by googling "seafoam procedure". I formulated my above response based on my own experience as well as the information I learned via google.

Rock on party! Thanks for the info, Dean. :D

So have you ever seen this done on youtube.A bunch of idiots sucking the stuff into the oil and driving around at high rpm with there tail pipes blowing white smoke.I've dumped it in the tank before but I'd think twice before putting it in oil.It is good stuff but is it even oil based? Any one with any thoughts on this?

So have you ever seen this done on youtube.A bunch of idiots sucking the stuff into the oil and driving around at high rpm with there tail pipes blowing white smoke.I've dumped it in the tank before but I'd think twice before putting it in oil.It is good stuff but is it even oil based? Any one with any thoughts on this?

You're SUPPOSED to put it in your crank case to clean out your engine. Oil, fuel system, and cylinders.

Exactly. Read the directions on the can and you should have no problems. :D

The white smoke doesn't come from "sucking into the oil". The white smoke comes from sucking it into the intake manifold. This is normal and expected.

Edited by XPLORx4