Ready To Buy 5 New Rims!

Hi All, I'm FINALLY ready to buy some rims for my 96 SE 4x4.......I decided to go Black Steelies (D window type) and I really like the look of the 32" Tires.....I don't mind "minor" trimming of inner fender pieces. My stock wheels are 15 x 7.....which I will more than likely sell....wink wink.

Here's my questions, What is the difference if I go 15" or 16"? Should I go with the 15 x 8 or 16 x 8? Like I said, I want to go for the 32" look or as realistic as possible. Should I go with more or less backspace, I've seen BS as little as 3.75 all they to 5"!!!

Any place you'd recommend to get the best price for these rims?

I TRUST THE FORUM 100% so I do value all of your opinions....

I plan to go with either an AT or Mud Tire.....Opinions on sizes with the 15 or 16 are welcomed too!

Thanks again for all your help in getting me this far on my project and reaching my goal of getting my truck lifted...DAMN I'm getting close....Tires and manual hubs.....then ready for install!

I'd love to get this done before I leave to go on tour.....

Hi All, I'm FINALLY ready to buy some rims for my 96 SE 4x4.......I decided to go Black Steelies (D window type) and I really like the look of the 32" Tires.....I don't mind "minor" trimming of inner fender pieces. My stock wheels are 15 x 7.....which I will more than likely sell....wink wink.

Here's my questions, What is the difference if I go 15" or 16"? Should I go with the 15 x 8 or 16 x 8? Like I said, I want to go for the 32" look or as realistic as possible. Should I go with more or less backspace, I've seen BS as little as 3.75 all they to 5"!!!

Any place you'd recommend to get the best price for these rims?

I TRUST THE FORUM 100% so I do value all of your opinions....

I plan to go with either an AT or Mud Tire.....Opinions on sizes with the 15 or 16 are welcomed too!

Thanks again for all your help in getting me this far on my project and reaching my goal of getting my truck lifted...DAMN I'm getting close....Tires and manual hubs.....then ready for install!

I'd love to get this done before I leave to go on tour.....

I just went through this so hopefully my mistakes will help out. If you're planning to lift or already have a lift and want to run 32", backspacing is critical. I bought 16x8s with 4.25" backspacing and even 235 width tires are rubbing. (They rub at top of strut tower since it's such a tall tire.) Having to put in 1.25" wheel spacers to compensate. A lot of folks here run 265/75-16s with rub results from none to heavy. If I had to do it again, I would have gone with 3.5" or 3.75" backspacing or a 16x7 rim. It would have given me more room without having to use spacers... Spacers run $60-$80 at Rugged Rocks, FYI.

I'm running 16x8 steelies with a 4.75" backspacing, and my tires (265/75) miss the strut tower by perhaps half an inch, maybe less. It does give the stance a very OEM look in terms of the tires being pretty much flush with the fender flares.

However, I'd probably go with less backspacing to give my rig a wider stance. My next set of wheels are going to be 15x10 with 3.25" BS but only because Toyo doesn't make 33x12.5's M/T tires in a 16" rim option. For what it's worth, the difference between 15's and 16's is pretty negligible. :shrug:

Luckily, the first gen R50's can fit 15's without trouble. :aok:

So tyler sinc I have a newer R50 I should go with a 16x8 or 16x10 and backspacing of 3.75 for both correct? And Im going to be running 33x12.5 KM2's, this has confused me alot lol

Yeah, you'd be coming across some clearance issues with 15's on your R50 (bigger brake on the VQ). I don't know if BFG makes 33" flotation tires to fit a 16" wheel; I know for a fact Toyo doesn't. I do know BFG makes a 35x12.5 to fit a 17" wheel so that might be worth considering. It seems to me a common size for flotation tires is 33x12.5R15. :shrug:

And yes, you can make a 12.5" wide tire fit a 8" wheel but I'm planning on some nice 15x10 machined alloys with a maximum BS of 3.75"...

I think that's a good number to work with in terms of either 8" or 10" wide wheels. :aok:

Running 16X8 with 4" back spacing. 245/70/16 BFG A/Ts. Now this is on a QX4, and I know you can get biger tires than this without an issue. I'll be putting on bigger set next.

WTF is a floatation tire? lol

A flotation tire is one that's measured in inches, rather than metric. Even though I'm currently running 32x10.5 Toyo A/T's, they're measured in metric as 265/75 on the sidewall. Flotation tires read in inches on the sidewall.

Yeah, you'd be coming across some clearance issues with 15's on your R50 (bigger brake on the VQ).

I think all of the 99.5 up paths have the bigger brakes. Dads 2000 wouldn't fit 15's either... I heard somewhere that you can grind down part of the caliper to clear it. But he wasn't open to that option lol.

I think all of the 99.5 up paths have the bigger brakes. Dads 2000 wouldn't fit 15's either... I heard somewhere that you can grind down part of the caliper to clear it. But he wasn't open to that option lol.

Hmmm, I wonder why... :lol:

Good information, nevertheless. I thought the bigger brakes started with the VQ change in '01.

i've been cross-referencing part numbers (on courtesynissan.com and rockauto.com), and ALL R50s use the same caliper, spindle, rotor, everything. what is the source for the claim that the brakes were upsized? word of mouth?

No, experience. I ordered a replacement brake caliper at NAPA, and ended up getting one for the '99.5-'04. After installing it, my wheel would not mount back on properly, and rubbed the new caliper to no end. :scratchhead:

Perhaps the part numbers are the same, but the specifications changed? :shrug:

I've found some 15 x 8 Cragar Soft 8's, well 2 different one's , 4" B.S. and 4.75" B.S. I have a 96 SE 4x4!

Which back spacing should I get?

What tire size should I get to get 32" with minimal rub if any?

or

they have 16 x 8 with 5" B.S. is 5" B.S. too much?

I've found some 15 x 8 Cragar Soft 8's, well 2 different one's , 4" B.S. and 4.75" B.S. I have a 96 SE 4x4!

Which back spacing should I get?

What tire size should I get to get 32" with minimal rub if any?

or

they have 16 x 8 with 5" B.S. is 5" B.S. too much?

PM sent. :D

Well, I've finally decided to go with some 15 x 8 Rock Crawler Series 97 Black Monster Mod Wheels with the 3.75" Back Spacing. I'm gonna get them from my local 4WheelParts Store here in Cleveland. Also, I scored 3 - BFG 32 x 11.5 x 15 Mud Terrain TA's (2 of them with 75% Tread Left, the other one with only 10% which I'll use as a spare tire) for only $75.00! Thanks CraigsList. Now if I can only find 2 more BFG Mud TA's. Still waiting for a few more things before I Install my lift.....Hopefully by next week!