Horrible Sounds!

Man! I have a 5 speed manual pathy and when I push in the clutch, it will make a horrible sound most of the time, but only when the car is cold. What could this be caused by? I believe it is some kind of bearing that hold the cluch away from the contact plates. Any help will be appreasiated.

Man! I have a 5 speed manual pathy and when I push in the clutch, it will make a horrible sound most of the time, but only when the car is cold. What could this be caused by? I believe it is some kind of bearing that hold the cluch away from the contact plates. Any help will be appreasiated.

appreciated --------sorry----lol

yea sounds like a throwout bearing moaning/growling...my 95 did that for almost 2 years but only in the winter time and rarely when it was in gear...if its not doing it constantly I would wait until it was time to do the clutch to change it but if it gets too bad then go ahead and change it and do the clutch, RMS,pilot bushing and flywheel

yea sounds like a throwout bearing moaning/growling...my 95 did that for almost 2 years but only in the winter time and rarely when it was in gear...if its not doing it constantly I would wait until it was time to do the clutch to change it but if it gets too bad then go ahead and change it and do the clutch, RMS,pilot bushing and flywheel

Well, How much is what and how hard is it to replace the stuff your self?

uhmm well parts will probably be like $300 depending on the clutch you get and all of that...labor on a job like this would probably be like $800+ if you have some good friends and the right tools (lots of extensions and a Ujoint, also a torque wrench) you could do the job in a weekend...I helped a guy do one in a parking lot and the tranny hoist was a strap through the floorboard while a guy on each side lifted up the tranny for the big mother that got under the truck to get the tranny in place and get the bolts started

The job isnt difficult if you're mechanically inclined but there is a ton of stuff to remove and reinstall and the transmission is heavy...I've done about 5 transmission installs on a pathy by myself (and 1 on an SS camaro) and I've used 2 floor jacks with the assistance of an engine hoist every time to get it in there...this last time once I got it up the clutch disk and pilot bushing were not aligned correctly so i ended up under the tranny moving it in all directions to get the output shaft in the pilot bushing...glad it didnt fall on me b/c i woulda been effed

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

And use a clutch alignment tool to make it easier. You don't have to replace the clutch, just better to do it as it's such an effort to take the whole thing off. The pilot bearing won't cost much, a few bucks maybe