Power Steering Leak

Orangetang

I've had an ongoing power steering leak since I swapped engines a year ago or so. It only leaks at full lock while straining or when turning the wheel while not moving on mud, etc, high-load conditions. I had someone crank on the wheel while i had a flashlight on the power steering pump abd a steady spray of fluid was coming off the pulley as if the oil was straying into it from the pump. No visible line leaks, so I'm wondering can the pump itself leak? Is there a seal kit, or something along the lines that I should attempt, or just find a wrecker pump, or try a new one for $290 bucks?

Sounds like a pump seal is either loose or totally blown to me. You might be better off just going to the JY and getting a whole new pump assembly and swapping out the crapped up one. I don't know if repair kits are readily available but I'm sure rebuilding it is possible. It may be just as much as getting new one though... :scratchhead:

can you get a re-man one for about half that? thats what I wound up doing when mine leaked. (mine was an 89) I looked arround for a kit to re-build mine, I figured if somone can reman it somone else had to make parts for it but I had no luck in my search.

Very odd, I have wiped my pump off too. I blamed it on a bad sealing oil filter that blew shhh everywhere, but now that you mention it I am thinking the same thing of mine. Of course, I have no off road time, but I do have the weight of OE wheels and larger tires. I never actually thought that it may have leaked. I will have to keep an eye on this myself.

after i sunk my pathfinder, i had to replace my power steering pump (among many other things). i got my pump from a pick-a-part for $29 + $3 for 30-day warranty.

if you want to try to rebuild it yourself, you can get a seal kit for about $15. if it really is coming from the shaft behind the pulley, it may be an easy fix. you need to remove the pulley, remove the snap ring holding the drive shaft, then remove the shaft. there will be an oil seal there, and this would be the one leaking. if that's not the problem, the seal kit will come with all the o-rings, copper washers, and gaskets to do a full rebuild.

a remanufactured P/S pump should only cost $150, not including the reservoir. most places will charge you a hefty core charge, though, so be prepared to pay a little extra up front.

Other than pskits.com, does anyone know of a website or distributor that would ship a seal/rebuild kit to Canada? I have called over a dozen auto parts and distribution stores in my region, none of which list or stock a rebuild kit. Pumps are all 'new' and run $345 and up, while wrecker pumps start at around $180 bucks and you never know what you'll end up with.

i forgot that you had a VQ, so my prices were off. did you check rockauto.com?

also, i don't know anything about the PS pump on a VQ so it may not be the exact same; the pulley may be pressed on. the same basic principle still applies though - replace the drive shaft's front oil seal.

Edited by alexrex20

• 4 months later...

Sorry everybody... I completely forgot to post my progress. The kit came, so I pulled out the pump to take it apart. It looks to my like the pulley is pressed onto the shaft, so I bought a puller that would fit (very hard to find), and tried to pull it off. Long story short, I shattered the first puller, and bought a sturdier style one to either make or break this pump. I used a torch, penetrating oil, and a lot of torque, but it would not come off. The pulley began to warp a fair bit, so as a last desperate attempt I dunked it in a pail of liquid nitrogen until it was -180C or so, all the way through, put it back in the vise and put a torch on the centre of the pulley shaft. Nothing! It would not come apart.

I ordered a used pump from an 04' at a wrecker in Edmonton that took a couple of days to get here, and it's been working great. No leaks, no weak spots. I would recommend skipping the whole rebuild thing for this particular pump. Maybe it comes apart another way, but I didn't feel like playing with it anymore.

Wow...thats some bad ass pump. I know some pumps (not automotive, but might apply) you have to pull the whole shaft, since the pully is 'cold welded' to the shaft. Pretty much impossible to take apart, so the whole shaft/pulley has to be replaced. Good for industrial use, pretty over kill if thats what is with this pump.

Jose