265/75/16

ronin152

Few reasons why it shakes at that certain speed, 1 its still imbalanced, have them statically balanced with a tape weight in the dead center of the wheel its easier and more effective of those type of wheels, 2 the tire "resonates" at the speed you are feeling the vibrations at, 3 its a BFG AT, brand new they already have a lot of movement in them. You just need to find a good shop with a good balancer that can take care of you.. Also the shops balancer could also need to be recalibrated, at discount tire we recalibrate our balancers every day to insure the best balance and fewer customers returning because they're car is shaking/vibrating.

All great answers to why it shakes....to add to the sticky weight theories, I have had a sticky fall off because the guy that didn't care about my paid for balance didn't clean any gunk off the wheel to stick it on. The result was I lost a weight inside of a week. You could actually see where the weight removed gunk when it came off!

If the shake is there, will it hurt anything till I got it fixed or could I just leave it go? So it is a possibility that it is just the new BFG AT's moving around a little bit?

I would not wait a week...shaking could eventually damage your wheel bearings and /or diff bearing etc...

balancing wheels over 30 inches is always less forgiving on balance errors etc...when you get 32, 33 etc.. with a little treads with either all terrain (like yours) or mud terrain, then usually you get better results by trying to turn the tire many times until you find the best match between the tire and mag that require the less weight. Yes it takes more time per wheel but fixes the shaking problem usually...eventhough the tire was showing as being ballanced...

So on my previous path I had the equivalent of your all terrain and was having the same problem. at highway speed, the steering was shaking real bad but not at normal city speed... So I went back to the guy, explained it to him, and he told me "we're going to rebalance them". He inflated the tire, then check the balance, let's say 2 onces, Then he deflated the tire, turned it 1/4 turn on the rim, then reflated and rechecked again... He did this until he had found the position where it was needing the less weight. At the end I ended up with no tire needing more than 1/2 once.

This made the shaking disapear. Keep in mind that all this was done on the same machine then previously... So you wont need to go to another place, but you might need to ask the person in charge there that this is what you would like to do...

I have found something interresting also...I'm going to have my new tires balanced friday and have found a shop near my home that can also do dynamic balancing using Xact product : http://www.imiproducts.com/xact/index.aspx

I have decided to go mud terrain, so if they cannot get in on the dot for me with conventional balancing, I will give this a try... I'll let you know when it's done..

Cheers !

Thanks for the help. Do I need to get all the wheels rebalanced or just the front two? Does this need to be done immediately or can it wait a couple weeks? I had this same problem with my previous wheels and tires. Could this be something else (seems like too much of a coincidence)

Well...if you're going 15", just get a floatation 32" tire. If you go with 16", the thread title is your size.

Whats a FLOTATION 32" Tire??? Also, i know my stock wheels are 15 x 7 BS??? Can these wheels be used w/o spacers on the AC lift??? I Have a 1996 SE

Well...if you're going 15", just get a floatation 32" tire. If you go with 16", the thread title is your size.

Whats a FLOTATION 32" Tire??? Also, i know my stock wheels are 15 x 7 BS??? Can these wheels be used w/o spacers on the AC lift??? I Have a 1996 SE. Can these rims be used for general hwy use maybe? The reason I ask is that I'm still aquiring parts to complete my lift....Wheels and tires were last on the list....If i could use my stock rims at all until i get NEW WHEELS AND TIRES I'll go ahead and install the lift, but I don't want to spend any money on spacers!

Whats a FLOTATION 32" Tire??? Also, i know my stock wheels are 15 x 7 BS??? Can these wheels be used w/o spacers on the AC lift??? I Have a 1996 SE. Can these rims be used for general hwy use maybe? The reason I ask is that I'm still aquiring parts to complete my lift....Wheels and tires were last on the list....If i could use my stock rims at all until i get NEW WHEELS AND TIRES I'll go ahead and install the lift, but I don't want to spend any money on spacers!

I believe that a flotation tire is a tire that is not measured in metric. As for wheels and tires the tire size kinda determines the wheels size that is needed, also how much buldge you want in you sidewall. What kind of spacer are you talking about? a wheel spacer or a strut spacer? You wont need either to install you lift. It might look kinda funny with stock tires and wheels on it with a lift but you wont have any problems.

I believe that a flotation tire is a tire that is not measured in metric. As for wheels and tires the tire size kinda determines the wheels size that is needed, also how much buldge you want in you sidewall. What kind of spacer are you talking about? a wheel spacer or a strut spacer? You wont need either to install you lift. It might look kinda funny with stock tires and wheels on it with a lift but you wont have any problems.

I'm talking about wheel spacers.....I know it will look funny without the proper wheels and tires, besides it's just more incentive to get those big 32" mudders w/ black rock crawlers!

Here is 31x10.50R15 on the stock wheels with the AC lift...32's will NOT fit without a wheel adapter. I do not have mine installed on this picture...

so my stock 265 70 15 on those same stock rims will be "driveable" once my lift is installed????

Western PA. I really think the AL wheels are worthid over steel wheels. Yes the AL wheels are more expense but I figured it out and they are 50 lbs lighter than the steel wheels and that makes a big difference in unsprung weight. To tell you the truth I can't really tell my tires are no stock. I have been observing the tire shake and it seems to be the worst between 50-55 on rougher highway. I was on some very smooth highway and the shake was nearly not even there. I had this problem with my last set of stock tires and had them rebalanced. Do you think this could be something else in the suspension. I also noticed that the BFG tires are pretty the best word to describe it is "squishy" and could this be causing some movement in the tire because they are sort of like moving around a little bit? I know you said to not drive on the tires while shaking but I don't have a whole lot of time to take them to get rebalanced right now. Would waiting a week or two really kill them?

It's important to get it done but I'm sure a week or so shouldn't cause any long-term issues (permitting the wheel shake isn't THAT intense). I would get it done ASAP, though. :)

When I first felt the steering wheel shake on my R50, I nearly sh*t myself 'cause I had no idea what was causing it. Luckily, the solution is relatively simple. :D

Well i did some research cause i didnt believe it when you said the steel wheel was 50 lbs more then the aluminum wheel. Your eagle 185 wheel 16x8 shipping weight is 24 lbs. A generic black steel wheel, i used the cragar 397 series, shipping weight on that is 37 lbs. Obviously the tire is going to weigh the same. So how did you come up with 50 lbs more?

The only other concern that i would have with the Eagle wheels is the durability on the trail, I have been told that the finish is easier to damage, and scrape up. And it wont hurt my feelings as much if I damage a steelie over a alloy wheel, I could replace 2 steelies for the price of 1 of those eagle alloy wheels. And the 52lbs thing, I only weigh 146 lbs, so what I dont have in body weight gets replaced by cheaper heavier wheels :tongue: