Wheel noob...

Punkfinder

Hi guys,

Apologies in advance for a long post...

I have very little knowledge regarding wheels and trying to learn about them online has been frustrating (e.g backspacing, offset, etc), so I thought I'd ask here.

I currently am running 31x10.5 Goodyear Workhorse rubber on the stock "Lego" wheels. I'd like to upgrade my wheels, likely keeping the same rubber for a while as there's lots of wear left on the Workhorses (I also have a decent set of 31x9.5 Swampers to use next). Also note that I will soon have the JGC coil lift and torsion bar crank to give me a little lift. I really like the look of the American Racing AR-767.

I am sure that regardless of wheel diameter and width, I need bolt pattern 6x5.5 (6.139.7mm).

So here are my questions:

1) Is it important that I stick with the 15" diameter? I'm assuming going to 16" would simply give me less space to fit tires in my wheel well...and without a big lift that space is at a premium for my rig.

2) Can I go up to 8" or 10" width without many issues, besides the expected rubbing, stress on steering components, etc? (I believe the stock Lego and chrome rims are 6" wide, correct my if I'm wrong).

3) When I go through different websites "wheels applications" programs to figure which wheels will fit my truck, the AR-767s never pop up as being applicable. Is this because of backspace or offset issues? Should I pay any attention to these "wheel applications" program's suggestions for rims?

To assist, here are some wheel measurements for the AR-767s from American Racing's website (sorry if my chart is hard on the eyes):

Part No./Size/Offset/Backside/Bolt Circle

AR7676883/16x8/12/4.97/6x139.7

AR7676783/16x7/0/4.00/6x139.7

AR7675883/15x8/-12/4.03/6x139.7

AR7675783/15x7/0/4.00/6x139.7

AR7675183/15x10/-38/4.00/6x139.7

Maybe you guys could highlight which Part No. would be best for my rig; I'm thinking the 15x8 or 15x10...

4) How would a 15x8 w/ -12 backspacing compare with a 15x10 w/ -38 backspacing? I'm assuming that the -38 backspacing would "stick out" more from under the fender flares than the -12 backspacing and simply have a wider profile.

Thanks a million in advance!

Ok cutting to the chase here; sorry I didn't read your whole post.

backspacing is distance form back of wheel to bolts, you were giving offset numbers (distance from center)

-3.75"(ideal) and 4.0" is the backspacing desired for ofroad tires on the w/d21

-8" is the Maximum reccomended with to use on IFS front suspension. 10"+ causes aditonal stress and wear on steering and suspension components up front.

-becuse of how 4x4 works on these rigs you migth as well run the same in the back to reduce tire and drivtrain wear.

-15x8 and 16x8 wheels with 3.75-4.0 backspacing running 31x10.5 tires will fit on the stock pathfinder with minimal rubbing and no extra issues that I am aware of.

1) Is it important that I stick with the 15" diameter? I'm assuming going to 16" would simply give me less space to fit tires in my wheel well...and without a big lift that space is at a premium for my rig.

-If you want to use the same tires, you need to stick to the same rim DIAMETER....when it comes to tires and wheels being compatible, its not the size of the tires, its the width of the tires vs the width of the rim, and the diameter of the rim MUST equal the rim size of the tires :)

2) Can I go up to 8" or 10" width without many issues, besides the expected rubbing, stress on steering components, etc? (I believe the stock Lego and chrome rims are 6" wide, correct my if I'm wrong).

I would think 8 would be fine, but i think on a 10.5" tire that 10 may be a little too wide

3) When I go through different websites "wheels applications" programs to figure which wheels will fit my truck, the AR-767s never pop up as being applicable. Is this because of backspace or offset issues? Should I pay any attention to these "wheel applications" program's suggestions for rims?

Im not too sure on this one, but the ARE-7675783 seem like they should fit if thats what your looking for

i would stick with 15" rims.. you'll need lift for 16's.......... i run 33x12.5x15 with 7" of lift............ and i rub sometimes.............. :crossedwires:

(oh, and it takes 40 acres for me to turn king around, but i have had no steering issues with him)

and, uh, aren't the rims in question 16.5's? if i read yer other post right.......... avoid 16.5's at all costs............ :ill:

Edited by Slick

As I said in my PM...the wheels on my truck are the Rock Crawler series 75 and i'm pretty sure they're the 3.75 BS but maybe its the 4...I am pretty sure they're 10.5 and I had to crank the Tbars after I got it from my cousin b/c it would grab the flares after i put them back on and the shop did some trimming on the valence and fenders...a 3" body lift should give you plenty of clearance for 31's mud grips like I have b/c I grabbed all 4 fenders with my current setup at hollister and calico

I'm pretty new ot the tire/wheel thing as well even though my dad built tires for 25 year and still counting...but its coming to me...also you can search around and there are lots of discussions about it. Good luck

15 inch rims is basicly a standard size for trucks there is more tire options for this wheel, but as for 16 inch rims is the "new school" popular wheel size but its usually more expensive. as for wheels a lot interchange as toyota trucks, isuzu, some chevy trucks. i say stick with steelys because they are cheap ($25 new), durable, basic.