sputtering

beastpath

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temperature difference between the block and heads, overheating, the material its self gets weak, poor adhesion, stress. There's more.

Edited by Kingman

I think it usually happens when the motor overheats. I might be wrong.

But in your case, since you have a rebuilt motor, they probably did something wrong. I'd put up a good fight.

lots of variables there. but installer error seems likely as I've only put about 25,000 miles on the truck since i installed the motor.

how much do you think this "good fight" is worth? $400 bucks or so?

Um. If they poorly sealed the head gasket and it's prone to causing serious internal damage, uh, they should be replacing the entire thing at their expense. Warranty should be for failed parts they installed, not a f****d up half assed job. That should be at their expense.

Or maybe I misunderstood you. Did you buy the engine from them as a whole and put it in? Or did you have them rebuild your specific engine?

Edited by Kingman

I hope they'll give you manufacturing error for that one, but they probably won't since they have no way of knowing if you took the heads off or what after you bought it.

^^^ That's the exact reason Ron's Automotive & Collision on 78th street is showing dwindling business.

But I'll bet they're too ignorant and self centered they have no idea why.

yes, I vote for them replacing the entire motor. put up a fight.. you have nothing to lose. Tell them you are going to post it all over the internet that their product is defective.

lol, considering Im gonna be the only one working on this, i dont know if I want the "whole" engine replaced cos that requires even more work.

idk...

I went and drained the oil just now, and I'm not seeing any coolant in the oil.

although, when my last engine threw a rod we didnt find any in there either until we actually took the pan off, even then it wasnt much.

where else would the coolant go? i was blowing some out the exhaust, but quite a lot is gone from the radiator itself. would it have burned up?

Maybe you have a sneaky leak. The bypass hose above the thermostat is good at pissing coolant and the heat evaporates it before you see very much of it. I had that problem as well.

If you drained your oil and there's no coolant in it, then it's probably not even the head gasket. The bypass hose is a little 90 degree hose right above the thermostat housing, and it can rupture or crack or leak. It's also a bitch to get to and replace.

I thought I had a leaking head gasket as well, my coolant was constantly dissapearing, and I couldn't find out where. Until one day it dripped one drop of water on the ground and I could trace the water path right to the little bastard. It can also give the impression the water pump seal has failed, because of where the water path. I was loosing coolant for months before it finally started leaking bad enough to leak onto the ground. I would also overheat pretty frequently and had to fill up with coolant almost every day before heading home from school.

With your foot on the brake?

Does it do it when your foot isn't on the brake?

I'm asking because mine sputters like a mofo if I depress the brake and let off, I has a leak somewhere.

Check all your vacuum lines. The vacuum lines to the EGR can cause some pretty nasty sputtering issues at no throttle if they're cracked, just went through that one myself.

Kingman as far as yours sputtering when you press and let off the brake pedal. Your brake booster probably has an internal vacuum leak. to test it pinch off the vacuum line to your booster and pump the brake pedal if it doesn't sputter then there is an internal leak in your booster.

it was thick and white for the whole time the car was on. and it had only been sitting for a night.

just went outside and filled her with oil, then turned her on, and the coolant is practically spraying out of my exhaust.(where the headers meet the exhaust i have a leak)

DSC01054.jpg

plus there was coolant leaking from somewhere else.

looked around and its coming from the drivers side where the head meets the block.

That's nuts!

I think somehow the seal didn't mate/set properly between the gasket and the block and head...

If the "X" I'm seeing is where you posted a pic, I can't see it till I get home in an hour or so. Still at school :aok:

That also explains the no coolant in oil, it's all going outwards not inwards! :lol:

Edited by Kingman