Newbie: info needed.. Interchangable 1992 keys?

buchang

Pathfinder newbie here. I need some information for a court case related research project:

Is it possible for the key from one 1992 Pathfinder to work (unlock and start) on another pathy of the same year/make/model?

I've heard of this type of thing happening in certain mid 80's Toyota's but is the same true for Nissan and even as late as 92?

If it is possible:

-Roughly how many different types of keys are there? (or ignitions if that's more relevant)

-What are the odds of having one made at a standard hardware store that wouldn't work on yours but would on another? work on both?

Any answers (or suggestions on where to go to find the answers) would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Never heard of this in a nissan...

there are ways of getting keys but this sounds like an impound and/or a theft about to take place so if its the 1st option they have roll backs and locksmith tools...

you can buy new lock cylinders and ignition to replace the existing if you're worried someone has keys to your truck...

Edited by unccpathfinder

count the number of tumblers for an ignition (flats on the key) and you can determine the number of variations available. If that number is less than the number of vehicles made with that lock type (perhaps all years WD21, etc), then there MUST be duplicates. If the number of variations is less, there MAY be duplicates.

for what it's worth, I worked at a K-mart a long time ago and one of the employees went to run an errand, got into her car and drove away. She locked the car and did her shopping. When she got back to the car, she couldn't get in it. Turns out it was the same make and model but 1 year different (same color) and belonged to someone else who worked there. Her key would work in the ignition but not the door. Had the car been locked initially or if she had payed closer attention, she wouldn't have gotten herself stranded.

my buddy had a 93? SE(ok I know it was a 4 door)

One day He said all the locks were worn and you could prolly get in@ it w/ any key. So I tried it.

My 89 key whould open and start his but his WOULD NOT do the same for mine.

Nissan used the same lock/key types for the full production run of the Pathfinder/Hardbody (W)D-21, (86-97). That said I am sure there are many duplicates in that range of years, but per year the number, who knows.

If the keys are close or the locks are old and sloppy, then most any key will work. I've opened numerous junkyard Nissans and Yotas with just a pocketknife blade. My Pathy key has opened two other Nissans, a Pathy and a HB pickup.

its possible...if the little black button get stuck on the ignition you can start it with any key....I found that out on my freinds 91 pathfinder. I can take my 93 key and my 92 key and turn it on. Also unlocking it workedc but his locks are kinda broke from PO so if its those cases then yeah u cn use a different key.

yes, as they wear out they become "shaved" keys.. they fit into many diff cars of the same make and era. Lots of car theves carry around a shaved key or 2 to the most pop japanese cars.

good thing my keys and locks are only a few years old, living in san-fran they had to be replaced a few times.