Sputters when hotish

Scottzilla

So I've got a brand-new (to me) gently-used engine that was recently swapped into my '89 Pathy. Mostly it works fine, but when it gets hotter than it normally does (say 3/4 on the temp. gauge instead 1/2) because I ran the AC on the freeway then stopped and let it idle for a while, it starts having problems. It still idles just fine, but when I give it any gas the RPMs start going up then drop back to idle. It does this over and over again. If I get out and disconnect the battery, wait a few seconds and reconnect it the problem gets a little better, to the point where I can at least get moving a little. After a bit of forcing the rig to drive the problem eventually goes away.

I did try searching and couldn't find anything that exactly matched my situation.

The ECU is only throwing a 55 (Everything is fine. Nothing is broken.).

Has anyone ever seen this? I'm going to call the shop that did the work tomorrow to see if they will fix it for me but I figured I'd run it by you guys too since I need something to do while I'm sitting on the side of the freeway waiting for the problem to go away again.

Edited by Scottzilla

Throttle position sensor??

Off the top, I'd say wiring/connectors to sensors should be checked and the vacuum lines.

I don't know of a "replace this' type answer for this problem. :shrug:

B

Well, the shop couldn't find anything wrong with it. I asked, but apparently they aren't certified to remove curses.

I guess I'll play with the TPS tomorrow (good thing I gots a spare!)

Edited by Scottzilla

maybe run some of the diagnostic modes on the ECU.. ?

"You may be on to something. I have some clues now. Today the ECU threw the following codes:

21 Ignition Signal

43 Throttle Position Sensor"

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update this topic in case anyone else has the problem.

In my case it turned out to be the wiring going to the TPS, not the sensor itself. Sometimes I could wiggle the wires while the engine was running and cause the issue to kick in. I got some new connectors and as much of the wire as I could from the junkyard and swapped it in and the problem hasn't returned.

I just wanted to update this topic in case anyone else has the problem.

In my case it turned out to be the wiring going to the TPS, not the sensor itself. Sometimes I could wiggle the wires while the engine was running and cause the issue to kick in. I got some new connectors and as much of the wire as I could from the junkyard and swapped it in and the problem hasn't returned.

hi scott-can you tell me where is wiring is located? I think I may have the same issue. thanks!

hi scott-can you tell me where is wiring is located? I think I may have the same issue. thanks!

You have a newer Pathy than I do so it would be different than mine, but the TPS on yours is where the air intake tube goes into the rest of the engine (kind of on the driver's side). Find where the throttle cable hooks on, then look on the opposite side of the intake from that. You should see a black box looking thing with a connector on one end and a pigtail with another connector coming out of it. Both are 3-pin.

I'd go to the junkyard, grab both the TPS and the attached wires and splice them in as far back as you can.

(forgive the crummy description, but I'm doing it from memory from one I saw in a junkyard a couple of months ago)