KYB BumpStop and boot ** FIXED**

fleurys

OK... Bought everything to pre-mount the kyb struts and the ac coils for my incoming lift. I thought by doing so I would save time...now I'm losing time !

First , Here's what I bought:

1) KYB Strut (goos part number for my year...just don't remember it now)

2) KYB Bumpstop/boot

2) Nissan upper seat

3) Nissan strut bearing

4) Nissan plate (with the 3 threaded studs)

5) Nissan strut tower mount

6) Nissan spacer (Thin paper isolator)

Now I'm simply doing a test fit without the spring just to accomodate myself with the order the things goes in.

Well, when all part are assembled, the strut shaft is actually BELOW a 1/4 inch or so from the strut tower mount !!!

here's the pictures :

dcp_1588.jpg

dcp_1589.jpg

dcp_1590.jpg

dcp_1591.jpg

dcp_1592.jpg

dcp_1593.jpg

dcp_1594.jpg

dcp_1595.jpg

dcp_1596.jpg

I know, that it was talked about once on the forum : http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...strut++bumpstop

The solution is said to cram them on....now my english is not THAT good...what does cram means ??

Any ideas ?? I guess I could always grind some of the white bumpstop...

Taking the old bumpstop is not an option since I do not want to have to wait to dismantle the old one to assemble the new setup...

Tks..

Edited by fleurys

Dude, that sucks. That is what it should look like with Lift springs on there not without springs at all. That bump is keeping you all right. I would save those for the back of your rig. If you stuffed the fronts that high your tires would bang up your fenders before that bump could help...at least I should think.

Super super smart buying those Nissan parts instead of KYB mounts and bearing! Good work mate!

**FIXED***

I wrote to kyb...surprisignly, they have tech support even on saturday....well, the guy tells me that it needs to go down lower on the shaft...

Well all along, I did not wanted to force anything, so I never thought of that.. And the hole in the bumpstop is far smaller then the strut shaft, but it still goes... Here are the pictures for anyone following with the same issue... It was my first attempt at strut "building"... So I learned...

Here is the strut, if you start from the top there is 3 shaft diameter... We'll call them d1,d2,d3 1 being the threaded one.

dcp_1639.jpg

So when you put the bumstop, it basically stop sitting on d2, because the hole is not even as big as d2...so the problem was coming from there... I thought this was it's resting place.

dcp_1640.jpg

You actually have to force it down to the main shaft (d3)

dcp_1641.jpg

dcp_1642.jpg

Once i put everything else on top, I got this :

dcp_1643.jpg

dcp_1644.jpg

One thing to know is that you also have to force the bumstop into the upper spring seat. I good deal of convincing must be applied :-)

This is what it looks like from under

dcp_1645.jpg

have a look at the bumstop hole and compare it to the main shaft (d3) diameter...now you know why i never thought this was going there...

dcp_1647.jpg

• 1 year later...