What else do you drive?

Morningwould

was on my phone... looked like different lines than I see on my desktop (so yes I feel I am now wrong on it being an 80-86 ford bed)... still something odd and non-flowing about it though, would like to see it from some other angles too (not just the bed, I wanna see the guts in that thing. Those 50-60s interiors were some stylish thought out designs, even in the more basic stuff :aok: )

57-60 bed, the 3/4 4x4 had a shorter wheelbase than all the other models and rather then make a new bed mold they reused the previous body style one cause it fit.

Here is the goods..

I got it from my dad's best friend who inherited from his dad who special ordered it from the dealership in wyoming. I still have the orginal owners manual in mint condition with the dealership card stapled to the front of it. The truck was special ordered in that color with a Dana 60 rear with 4.56 open diff. ( 55 on the highway with 33's is screamin!)

it is the highboy before they had the designation of the factory lifted trucks and has high cut fenders and at one point I had a set of 37x13.5x17 with no problems turning whatsoever. ive now down sized to 35's cause the big meats were hard on the clutch. and the 37's were a lil hard to steer in parking lots with the strong arm steering and manual brakes!!

interior.jpg

The interior is also spotless as you can see. back in the day AM radio was an option and mine didnt have it, so the stero with ipod intergration is in the glove box with four 5 1/2 speakers under the seat. I built the headache rack with the lights mounted to it for my final project in high school metal shop.

As for the motor, it was all orginal too until it gave up after 40 years last winter. the motor im building to put in is a 390 with a big cam, oversized valves, carb, intake, MSD ignition and custom fenderwell exit headers (the works). This truck has been my pride and joy and when i used to drive it all the ol' boys used to ask how much I'd sell it for cause thats what they learned to drive in. I just smile and say its not for sale.

elegance with simplicity in those old interiors... look knobs! And a personal thanks from me to you for not hackign a hole in the middle of the metalwork to put the modern radio in there (which would completly destroy the whole dashs image)

and neat tidbit of info on the bed difference, learn somethign new everyday! :beer:

wanna fill us in a little more on that 500? They have a quirkiness to them I kinda like but haven't had my hands on one to get any good opinions about yet

An absolute blast. And underpowered? Only because its listed at 101hp. But this thing only weighs in at 890kgs so It does have some go to it. I am working on a supercharger mod tho to push it to 194hp over the next year or so. Sticks to the road like glue with a nice "not too tight" suspension. Fantastic.

As for quirkiness, it's Italian; so it kind of has to have a few hang ups. Ive already had to use a quarter to wedge the A/C controls into place as there is no fix for the irritating squeek it makes.

My biggest problem is getting into it after driving the truck for a bit...I've had a few close calls with hydro poles and curbs when making a right turn.

climate controls are.... vent flaps on the kick panels and wing windows for AC. the heat controls are two knobs mounted below the dash, one opens the air into the heater core box, the other opens and closes the flow of coolant to the heater core. the blower motor controls are the last knob you see in the picture turn for the 2 speeds and pull out for defrost. it cant get more basic then that!! i love working on it and the only complaints i have, fasteners are a lil hard to get loose by that age and parts are not easy to find and not cheap either. but its a blast to drive and never going to sell this truck. the ideas i have for it is kinda a resto-mod, very clean and more comfortable to drive ie, small lift and replace closed knuckle 44 for a newer style open knuckle, power steering, power brakes. and the tires i want are 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/T.

An absolute blast. And underpowered? Only because its listed at 101hp. But this thing only weighs in at 890kgs so It does have some go to it. I am working on a supercharger mod tho to push it to 194hp over the next year or so. Sticks to the road like glue with a nice "not too tight" suspension. Fantastic.

As for quirkiness, it's Italian; so it kind of has to have a few hang ups. Ive already had to use a quarter to wedge the A/C controls into place as there is no fix for the irritating squeek it makes.

My biggest problem is getting into it after driving the truck for a bit...I've had a few close calls with hydro poles and curbs when making a right turn.

Hang up's with a Italian product? Blasmy I say. Hell, Fiat is a tractor company. Looks neat, what'dit set you back for the Fiaty.

Hmm. If I had 22k to blow on a new car... I think I'd get an Impreza, with the 2.0i Premium package. That's right about 22 grand, 4 doors, AWD, same Subie engine design they've used for years, so turbocharging it wouldn't be hard. Bit underpowered, stock, but we can fix that.

That said, I don't think it'd take the corners as well as something as small as that Fiat. Not to mention the Fiat has a better power-weight ratio from the factory.

What am I saying, anyway? I never buy new cars xD

20k for the special edition plus tax. Steep price yup, but i had a job that could afford it.

You like it, I think their neat, I have no problem with this :aok:

Hmm. If I had 22k to blow on a new car... I think I'd get an Impreza, with the 2.0i Premium package. That's right about 22 grand, 4 doors, AWD, same Subie engine design they've used for years, so turbocharging it wouldn't be hard. Bit underpowered, stock, but we can fix that.

FWIW you DO know to 'build a STI out of a lower package" is more than just bolt a turbo to a lesser car, they have different internals to hold up better. The money to do it 'correctly' would make it cheaper to just get the one you wanted in the first place

You like it, I think their neat, I have no problem with this :aok:

FWIW you DO know to 'build a STI out of a lower package" is more than just bolt a turbo to a lesser car, they have different internals to hold up better. The money to do it 'correctly' would make it cheaper to just get the one you wanted in the first place

I'm not interested in building an STI. I'm interested in building an Impreza Turbo. If I wanted an STI, I'd get an old GC8. Cost half as much as a new Prez, and I daresay it performs better than the newer STI.

And from what I seem to recall, the only difference between the STI engine and Impreza engine, internally, is the compression ratio. Simple solution: run less boost. If I drop compression, bolt up a T30, get some bigger injectors, and move up to a greater clutch, that's a good amount of horsepower, for less than a WRX, and I get to have my sleeper status. That's the important part of the Impreza Turbo. Sleeper status. You see it going by and you're like "Oh it's just a family sedan, whatever," then it beats the pants off your riced-up Civic. :)

(As far as the drivetrain goes, I accept there are differences (WHOO WE ADDED A GEAR TO THE TRANSMISSION) but I don't shoot for high enough horsepower goals to blow any of that stuff up)

• 1 year later...

I didn't find a thread like this, title says it all, so besides the pathy, what do you drive? Let's see some pics!

If it already exists, just point me there ;)

I was inspired to make the thread after a photo shoot with my '88 MR2.

pudyhehy.jpg

a3u4ymaq.jpg

3ubeba5y.jpg

And rockin a '98 A4 for winter.

zunu5yzu.jpg

yqaqugy2.jpg

Edited by RedPath88
Post Merged From Another Topic

'88 Suburban 3/4 ton that my Uncle bought new.
IMG_20130428_103010_758_zps68244b65.jpg

And since I travel for a living, '09 Silverado with 345k and climbing 1-2k a week.
IMG_20131011_152644_778_zpsa76cfe29.jpg

Edited by RedPath88
Post Merged From Another Topic

2006 Nissan Sentra SER SPEC-V and a 1983 F-150 w/ 302 and 2v carb.

I'm gonna have to figure out how to post pics

Sounds cool, and I use Photobucket. Copy and paste the IMG code. :handlebars:

Vehicles I drive

1989 pathfinder ($800)

2002 Sebring ($600)

1991pathfinder ($675)

1997 grandamit. (Too much lol 1200)

And I'll steal my brother 97 pathy someday :)

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk