OME Coils and camber alignment kit

raz

Hi guys,

I've got a 2001 pathfinder that I'm getting lifted with OME coils, KYB Struts and Rancho 9000XL shocks.

I'm also installing the Warn manual locking hubs and new OEM strut mounts and bearings.

I haven't decided between the OME HD and Medium Duty coils as I'm getting conflicting advice from the ARB tech and various forums.

Question for you guys:

1. What are the pros and cons of the HD vs. Medium front OME coil springs?

2. Do I need strut spacers for either of these?

3. What are camber alignment kits? Where do I get them and do I need them?

Thanks,

Raz

Edited by raz

Hi guys,

I've got a 2001 pathfinder that I'm getting lifted with OME coils, KYB Struts and Rancho 9000XL shocks.

I'm also installing the Warn manual locking hubs and new OEM strut mounts and bearings.

I haven't decided between the OME HD and Medium Duty coils as I'm getting conflicting advice from the ARB tech and various forums.

Question for you guys:

1. What are the pros and cons of the HD vs. Medium front OME coil springs?

2. Do I need strut spacers for either of these?

3. What are camber alignment kits? Where do I get them and do I need them?

Thanks,

Raz

1. HD's in front will increase the ride stiffness over MD, and will maintain lift better if you have a heavy bumper or winch. I don't have either, but like the way the HD rides. It might keep the front leveled a little better with the HD's I have in the rear, I haven't tried the MD's so I can't say.

2. No, you don't need strut spacers, but you might want them.

3. You may be referring to camber bolts. I don't know what they are, I didn't need any. If you do, you can probably get them at your local alignment shop. Or, you can get them at 4x4parts.

Save your self the time and money. Get the HD coils you will be much happier. I have had both and I would never say get the MD. There is no difference between the coil spring rates of either, the HD coils are just a bit longer so they give you a bit more lift on the front end. I ran into the same problem when I was trying to purchace them the first time. I ended up having to replace the MD with the HD.

As for the spacers it is a preference.

As for the camber bolts you dont need them with the OME lift.

Save your self the time and money. Get the HD coils you will be much happier. I have had both and I would never say get the MD. There is no difference between the coil spring rates of either, the HD coils are just a bit longer so they give you a bit more lift on the front end. I ran into the same problem when I was trying to purchace them the first time. I ended up having to replace the MD with the HD.

As for the camber bolts you dont need them with the OME lift.

This is great info. Thanks.

Since I don't ever plan on having a winch or heavy bumper and don't necessarily need more lift, what are the advantages of the HD other than more lift?

Considering the HD coils give you more lift, would they make the chance of topping out the struts on speed bumps more likely?

Thx again,

Raz

This is great info. Thanks.

Since I don't ever plan on having a winch or heavy bumper and don't necessarily need more lift, what are the advantages of the HD other than more lift?

Considering the HD coils give you more lift, would they make the chance of topping out the struts on speed bumps more likely?

Thx again,

Raz

My HD fronts have never topped out. And I've tried. As said above, just get them, you won't regret it.

You only top out with the AC lift. I have had all three combos and I would strongly recommend the HD coils you won't regret it!!! You pathfinder will look more like an old school hot rod it you get the MD.

Edited by Entropy98

What are the advantages or disadvantages of strut spacers?

Why do people get them?

Thx,

Raz

Raz, if you get the lift springs, your rear end might look a little higher than the front end. Something like what you would expect in a tow truck or a drag car, but of course the difference is not that much. However, some people might still find this annoying and want the front and rear ends to be level at all cost. So, you add the strut spacer to the struts in the front (place 1" spacer on top of the strut in the front). After installation, your front end will now look level with the rear end. And I think that's the whole purpose of having strut spacer. Again, as the difference is not that obvious, strut spacer is a preference for you, not a necessity. With or without it, I'm sure your truck still look aggressive after the lift.

i read in some threads that OME tend to sag and should be replace every 3 seasons. Your thoughts???

AFAIK the OME HD coils will have minimal long term sag when compared to the AC coils. Mine have been on for about 10k km and so far there has been hardly any sag. I'd consider it more the coils just settling... :scratchhead:

i read in some threads that OME tend to sag and should be replace every 3 seasons. Your thoughts???

Thats different. I always read that the OME are of higher quality and tend to sag LESS and LATER than the AC coils. Just better quality (see higher price) than the AC coils.