Rear Control Arms (Trailing Arms)

PathyLE

Does anyone have a resource to get new rear arms perhaps a bit beefier than that thin factory crap? Maybe one of you resourceful fellas wanna quote me what it would cost for you to make them.

They could be made with cheap heims for somewhere around $300. It really just depends on how much you feel like spending and how bombproof you want the links. Just keep in mind that the more expensive the joint, the longer it should last (not always the case, but it's true for heims). Are you worried about vibration on the road or do you just have all out performance in mind?

They could be made with cheap heims for somewhere around $300. It really just depends on how much you feel like spending and how bombproof you want the links. Just keep in mind that the more expensive the joint, the longer it should last (not always the case, but it's true for heims). Are you worried about vibration on the road or do you just have all out performance in mind?

All out performance. Money isn't really an issue. My sugar momma wants me happy. My Pathy makes me happy.

The biggest issue you'll run into, which really isn't issue at all (you just have to pay for it!) is the metric vs. imperial sizing. Almost nobody makes metric parts unless you go into the really high end suspension joints. If you're serious about getting a set made I'll call around and find a shop that will make some metric high-misalignments. I already tried drilling out a 1/2" misaligment to accept a 14mm bolt but you're left with hardly any material left. I ended up doing a single TIG pass all the way around each high misalignment in the thin area to build material back up but it's extremely difficult to not heat up the stainless misalignment to the point where you can't drill it anymore.

People with other makes of cars often switch out the 14mm bolts (.551" decimal) for a 9/16" bolt (.5625"). Obviously the holes in the bracket are slightly oversized to allow you to slide a bolt through and line things up easily but I'd be suprised if a 9/16 bolt fit without modifications.

I (for some reason!) prefer other designs of joints over the Johnny Joints. They work great for a lot of people but I just feel like there are better options out there. The good part about the Johnny joints it they are cheap, burly, and they make them with the correct bolt hole size and mounting width.

If it were me and money wasn't a huge concern, I'd go with poly bushings at the frame end and probably a quality heim at the axle. The cheaper heims are cheap up front but they wear out way faster so you still get what you pay for. I love the design of the ballistic flex joints but the mounting width on them is too wide until they release a narrow one.

I really don't want to step on Steven's toes here since I know he was trying to make these links available for the public. He has been a huge help with my project.

I obviously would do things a little differently on my own. I'm just curious if they will ever be produced (and I mean that in the best way possible!). They are actually a little less expensive than the OEM parts last time I checked but people are hesitant to order them since it hasn't been done yet. I think once a few sets get out everyone will realize these are the way to go.

Does anyone have a resource to get new rear arms perhaps a bit beefier than that thin factory crap? Maybe one of you resourceful fellas wanna quote me what it would cost for you to make them.

You could reinforce them cheaply with some angle iron, so they can't get bent like the top link in the photo below:

lca1.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

I really don't want to step on Steven's toes here since I know he was trying to make these links available for the public. He has been a huge help with my project.

I obviously would do things a little differently on my own. I'm just curious if they will ever be produced (and I mean that in the best way possible!). They are actually a little less expensive than the OEM parts last time I checked but people are hesitant to order them since it hasn't been done yet. I think once a few sets get out everyone will realize these are the way to go.

Thanks!

I've been getting good feedback and so far it sounds like we should get enough preorders during the April pre-order window.

but just a quick FYI, The exact johnny joints that will be used on the production links are the ones that i have been running on my truck since august of last year. the only difference in the links being that the ones that i'm running right now are longer (SAS & Long arm rear sus etc..) and i'm using weld in bungs on my truck unlike the CNC machined links that the production links will have.

if anyone has questions feel free to pm me, e-mail me or even just give me a call.

Show them a pic of the way the wheel was sitting in relation to the body, I couldn't believe you drove like that...

That's seriously tweaked. I bet that rear tire was nearly touching the fender! How did it feel to crab-walk your Pathy?

That was before I had an income tax refund on the way. :D

hehehe. if only i didn't have my heart set (for now) on the ARB rear and Lokka front lockers...

i got my Bilstein 7100s today. WHOOT (too bad they're not a simple bolt-on for me!)

hehehe. if only i didn't have my heart set (for now) on the ARB rear and Lokka front lockers...

i got my Bilstein 7100s today. WHOOT (too bad they're not a simple bolt-on for me!)

Lucky! :D

I hope you make an install thread! :beer: