Broken Strut?

willray80

Well I didn't know it was possible, but I think I have broken a strut. Sorry about my terminology but I don't know all the technical names for strut components. I installed Rancho struts on my 2004 SE, Just over a month ago, I have done some very light trail riding and off road, but nothing hard and I have been very gentle since the kit is new. I noticed a clunking sound last week and had someone else drive the car while I looked for the noise. I see the passenger strut moving in a direction that it never should be moving. It is especially noticeable in reverse when braking. when applying and releasing the brakes in reverse I see and hear the strut moving and the piston rod is pivoting at the point where it enters the strut body or chamber. This picture might help explain how it is moving.

Any comments or suggestions on what to do? I knew I should have gotten the KYB's.

strut.jpg

Edited by willray80

Any comments or suggestions on what to do? I knew I should have gotten the KYB's.

strut.jpg

Do you have the receipt? Sounds like you may be able to file a warranty claim.

I bought it from 4x4parts.com late Dec. Arrived early Jan. Installed early feb. I called them this morning and they said they would call me back. I'll post more info and definitely show pics of the bad strut when I get it out.

Anyone know what the warranty might be like from rancho or the 4x4parts.com?

Thanks.

4x4parts said they will handle the replacement. I have to buy a new one, pay for shipping, put it on, then send the old one back and they will refund me the cost.

That sucks (about having to pay to ship the new one AND the old one). You might also try contacting Rancho. They may be easier to work with regarding shipping costs.

Edited by XPLORx4

I had the same thing happen with the KYB GR-2 strut and found a local parts shop that would swap it out for me. Saved alot of time when it came to shipping. I just had the paperwork from 4X4parts faxed to them so that they knew when I bought the strut. (I lost the paperwork) You might be able to work something like that out.

Call around.

Edited by Entropy98

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got the part from Automotive Customizers. I was going to drive home and put it on when I saw that the other strut had gone out and sprayed hydraulic fluid everywhere.

I called AC back and told them that I didn't want to use these rancho struts because I now had two blow out in like 2 months of use. They agreed to take back the two broken ones, as well as the new one they just sent me and switch to KYB's. I parked the pathfinder and borrowed a car while I waited for the KYB's. I took a picture of the one that broke first and you can see that the whole top of the strut popped off.

I got the KYB's on and it feels much better. I don't seem to have that rough topping out anymore. Also the KYB's look like they are built different at the top of the strut, the top is welded on differently and it looks like they won't pop off like the rancho's did.

Volrick at AC has been very helpful and fair by agreeing to replace the broken parts, (I pay for shipping) but this has been a major PITA as I am not very skilled mechanically and it takes me a long time to do this work. Fortunately I have a friend who is a pro at this and can help me with it.

strut1.jpg

strut2.jpg

Wow, I've never seen a strut fail like that. Glad nothing bad happened while driving around with it like that though, could've been ugly! I have had a spring come out of the top mount and sit slanted though, made a knocking sound as well.