2001 Pathy LE 3.5 Exhaust.....discuss

PathyLE

Hack off the 2-1 muffler and have a shop weld in a Flowmaster. Sounds awesome, breathes easier, (it's under 100 bucks, depending on where you get the muffler/work) and there really aren't any kits that I've found.

it probably won't make a difference power wise having two eh? Just one more thing to get crushed on a steep incline haha

Yeah pretty much...you can find the Flowmasters with 2-1....dunno if they make 2-2...My wife bought mine for Christmas last year as a 1-1, so I had the shop put on a Y pip to pull the 2 pipes into 1 and that 1 into the muffler..no extension or tip...just dumping straight out...which I need to fix...it sounds awesome, but it's a worry when you have to back out of water/mud....quick way to rust out the muffler...just gonna get some flexy pipe and run it in an upside down U...basically the same theory as the drain trap in a sink, only reversed.

Could either of you possible put up a video of what this sounds like? I always wondered what it would sound like :D

Working on it...people with dialup don't view this...file is huge.

Does it matter if its 1 in and 2 out? can you flip them around? I can find TONS with the 1 in 2 out.. non the other way around

Edited by new4x4r

Flowmaster is over-rated.

Look on craigslist or ebay for a good condition, old style Edelbrock muffler. They don't make them anymore. The inside is like a glasspapack muffler, but there's 2 tubes with perforated metal to drone some sound. The design allows for absolutely zero backpressure, unlike baffles used in other common mufflers, like Flowmaster and what not. And, they don't burn out over time. They still sell online for about the same price as they were new a few years ago when they stopped making them... Why they stopped, I have no idea since it was such an awesome muffler.

The Edelbrock mufflers are quiet-ish for the most part, but the sound deepens and gets louder the harder you get on it.

If you do pick one up, the wait time vs. the added performance will pretty much cancel out so it'll be worth it in the end.

Edited by Kingman

I highly recommend not getting an exhaust for your 3.5. I have a flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler with 2.25 tubing and 2 into 1 muffler. I honestly felt that I lost alot of torque after getting the sytem put in. Stick with the stock muffler.

Sixguns, is there anything after that muffler or is it just dumping from there?

Just dumps straight...I didn't notice any decrease in torque...still pulls like it always did...throttle response is much better....

Well it was also taken with a digital camera...mic isn't the best on it...But yes, the sound leaves something to be desired...but can't exactly get the note of a SBC with Cherry Bombs out of an overhead cam engine...suits me fine, but to each his own...

01silva: go on youtube and search "aero pathfinder", you will find Chris's (02silverpathy) setup, thats the best sounding 3.5 I have heard so far...I am waiting until I can find a way to incorporate the 350Z's muffle into my truck though...

I think it would sound good if the rest of the exhaust was on there. Gets rid of that snappy, rice rocket sound

The snappy sound is because there is no load on the engine and in park...under power, it sounds pretty good..nice and throaty. At the same time, I installed a FM Super 44 on my wife's Tacoma, and, though quieter with the full exhaust, still has the same obnoxious tone to it - again because of the overhead cam...just doesn't give the exhaust system a chance to sound like it's got balls.

Guys, I have already had 2 exhaust set ups on my 3.5....click my profile and you can find my posts or just search.

...I need to add a new vid too, as the over all sound has changed too--I think fo the better. The current sound mates to the truck better, not as "new" sounding--if that makes sense.

Edited by 02silverpathy

• 1 month later...

I love how whenever i come back here i can find a topic on whatever i have going on :) Just got done replacing the MAF and all for 02 sensors in the pathy (dayum thats not cheap!) and I was going to have the exhaust done while i was at it... the flowmaster that the book "calls for" for the 02 is a 2.5" dual in 3" out...no freakin way that thing was huge and theres no listing for something smaller. guy at the shop said i had 1 and 3/4" in and 2" out of the resonator and im not finding anything in that configuration. is there some more specific info on this edelbrock your talking about and what else are you guys running? Plan is 2" from the cats back, muffler to replace resonator and 2 1/4" up over the rear axle stopping at a down angle about even with the rear tire instead of going to the bumper for me to booger up again while wheeling.. hehe

i got a magnaflow set up on my '01 3.5 LE...97K miles

Got the system installed at 80K

Dual 2.25" inlet, single 2.50" outlet. The muffler itself is approx 15" long. Oh and i definately ditched the resonator. Along with an 18" stainless steel chrome slash tip angled out the back.

At first it was so quiet, but as i started to drive it more...it got louder. That was in the first couple hundred miles. I guess it just needed to go through a break in period.

I think it sounds very good for a V6. Ill try and post a sound clip within the next couple days.

I love how whenever i come back here i can find a topic on whatever i have going on :) Just got done replacing the MAF and all for 02 sensors in the pathy (dayum thats not cheap!) and I was going to have the exhaust done while i was at it... the flowmaster that the book "calls for" for the 02 is a 2.5" dual in 3" out...no freakin way that thing was huge and theres no listing for something smaller. guy at the shop said i had 1 and 3/4" in and 2" out of the resonator and im not finding anything in that configuration. is there some more specific info on this edelbrock your talking about and what else are you guys running? Plan is 2" from the cats back, muffler to replace resonator and 2 1/4" up over the rear axle stopping at a down angle about even with the rear tire instead of going to the bumper for me to booger up again while wheeling.. hehe

Flowmaster's Delta Flow may be a candidate. I'm going to local shop tomorrow to have them see if we can do it.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products...roducts_id=3372

That delta flow is a single in dual out, i dont think you can just flip those around can you? Phantom, do you remember which magnaflow you got?

There is a single in-single out version in various sizes (2" - 3"). You can Y-pipe the dual inputs. I haven't done the math but may be able to rig it up.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products...roducts_id=3377