stereo and gas mileage...

Channel595

its because your putting a higher about of stress on the electrical system and makes the alternator work harder. mine does the same with my stereo and subs and the fog lights on. Voltage drops a little on the meter and you can actually tell its make it lose power as werid as it seems its true. I know exactly what you mean my rpms from from 750 for about 300 ones time when i was just ideling because of the power load. i have a cap now and dont use all the foglights just one pair unless offroading

the stock 60a(-1989) and 70a(1990+) alternators don't seem to be suffiecient to mainain a good ignition sytem power when ligths, fans and stereos are added. this can aloso wear out alternators quick because the voltage regulators were not designed to but used @ full open all the time.

I reccomend getting a higer output alty; I just finished making a re-wound 180A fortd alty fit in my 89. it has an external reguator and is easily bebuildable so the outlook is bright (no pun intented)

I did the maxima alty switch on mine. It was a direct bolt on, only diff was the pulley so I just swapped pulleys and took back my core (you'll need an impact gun to swap pulleys). Oh and it was like 50 bucks less than the one for this pathy. Less money, more amps, no way to go wrong I figured.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...ima++alternator

-Colby

FYI- I just had my alternator tested(1995 XE 2WD)and actual output of my alternator was 48 amps(at an idle)!! Yes the alternator is good. This just goes to show you that the alternator may not put out all that it is rated to and yes a capacitor is a great idea if your having light dimming problems when the subs hit. Even one good amplifier can have a significant draw on your electrical system and draw needed power from other electrical components.

Colbywan: isnt that stupid that the lesser amp alternator(stk for the pathy)is more expensive than the stronger alternator(for the maxima)? I also found this when I was going to replace my alternator a year ago. Ended up not doing it yet...I will have to when I add my second amplifier.

By the way, What year maxima alternator did you use(I forgot)?

ha nice how much modification was needed to get the ford one to fit that puts out alot more power then the stock one

well, Max stryker said it would bolt right up but maybe that was for the r50. both r50 and d21 will need a pigtail with ford on one end and nissan on the other.

for the d21 I had to cut 3" off my alty braket, grind down a few corners and have the bolt welded flush inside the tensioner because the head was interfering with the belt @ the new angle.

after that it did go right in with a longer belt.

I used a pathy pulley (3") but it originally had a 2" pulley on it. the lights dim @ idle so I still chance overloading it under 1k rpm. once I get a 2.5" pulley for it the problem should be solved and I may even be able to run stock belt size again.

it wasn't difficult at all, just frustaigting becuse what I expected to "bolt right up"(20min) turned into a project that left me w/o a vehicle for a day. the long term benifit is chaging bushes and voltage regulators cost only $50 new or $20 new on ebay versus having to get a new sealed alternator each time.

FYI- I just had my alternator tested(1995 XE 2WD)and actual output of my alternator was 48 amps(at an idle)!! Yes the alternator is good. This just goes to show you that the alternator may not put out all that it is rated to and yes a capacitor is a great idea if your having light dimming problems when the subs hit. Even one good amplifier can have a significant draw on your electrical system and draw needed power from other electrical components.

Colbywan: isnt that stupid that the lesser amp alternator(stk for the pathy)is more expensive than the stronger alternator(for the maxima)? I also found this when I was going to replace my alternator a year ago. Ended up not doing it yet...I will have to when I add my second amplifier.

By the way, What year maxima alternator did you use(I forgot)?

Ha it is really stupid actually. :crazy: The funny thing is that when I did that I was just barely getting into using this forum for R&D ya know :search: . I had actually bought the stock one brought it home and was about to install it. Then I decided to do a lil research luckily just in time before installing :laugh: hehe. I then proceeded back to autozone to exchange for the maxima alt which I believe was a 94 or 95. Swapped them and they gave me $50! I was like :wtf: ? Less money more power what a no-brainer. Everything went smoothly fast forward to today, I'm still sportin a maxy alty hehehe. It was thanks to people giving their input here that I benefited from it. THANKS PEOPS!! :beer:

-Colby

Edited by colbywan