Tie rod end taper angle

Rallybob

Okay, newbie here....so please don't persecute me right away. I did an extensive amount of searching and couldn't find my answer. I did find out that there is a 'small taper' and 'large taper' pertaining to the early vs. later WD21 tie rod ends. However I couldn't find an actual listing of the taper angle in degrees or inches per foot. I'd like to build my own upgraded steering system from scratch but need to know which angle parts I need to source.

Typically you'd have 1.5" per foot (7°) and 2" per foot (10°) as the most common automotive tie rod and ball joint tapers. I know my Nissan Sentra is 2" per foot for example, as are most GM cars. Short of disassembling my Pathfinder and checking the taper against one of my reamers, I have no way of knowing what it is.

TIA,

Bob

could you take the larger diameter of the cone and the smaller diameter of the cone then the height (thickness)

divide the diameters by 2 to get teh vertical and horizontal leg of a "triangle" and then use geometry to figure out the angle?

|......large radius (D/2)/

|................................./

|................................/

|.............................../

|thickness ( CL?)..../ <----taper angle

|............................./

|............................/

|.........................../

|_____________/

small radius (d/2)

just a suggestion

ignore the periods the post wouldnt let me space the "/" out for the sketch...if you draw it to scale you can extend the diagonal down to extrapolate the height for the full triangle and back out the angle...if you give me the dims i can do it for ya

Edited by unccpathfinder