failed emissions again

inqydesu

Ok, a few months ago I tested in oregon and failed the low idle test (HC * CO). I fixed the vacuum lines and cleaned the injectors and someother general tuneup and passed. i have since moved to NV and now failed the high idle (cruising) test. Any suggestions? the low is still fine and it runs fine but is high on the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons.

have you looked at your cat converter?

when was the o2 sensor last renewed?

also check your carbon canister is also in working order (probably not a cause for emissions tho)

Don't take this advice...

Have you thought about a bribe? :contract: Those guys usually make little to hardly any money working at those gas stations and auto garages that do inspections... Talk to the guy a little and see what kind of guy he is... Look for the young guys they always need beer money. Also, go during lunch hour. The bosses are usually out packin food in thier mouths and they leave the rookie there for the hour....

$20 will still get you a long way with the right girl, er um, I I I mean gas station attendent... :hide:

Remember not to take any of this garbage seriously!!! :o sly sssh -thnkboutit-

In an Auto Zone, and other places, you can find an additive called RXP. It is in a small 2.5 oz bottle and will cost about $7. Follow the instructions on the bottle, take the pathy in for testing after it is at full temp and it will very liekly pass the E test.

In Pennsylvania,

If a vehicle doesn’t pass the emissions inspection, you must make emissions-related

repairs. After these repairs are made, the vehicle can be re-inspected for free, within 30

calendar days, at the station that initially conducted the inspection. If you wait longer

than 30 days, or take the vehicle to a different emissions inspection station, the reinspection

is not free. In addition, if the vehicle still doesn’t pass the inspection, in most

cases you can get a one-year waiver if you have spent a minimum of $150 on

emissions-related repairs. In some cases, you may be required to spend more if the

needed repair is the only repair that will address the problem.

You may want to look into your area's program and see if there is a similar waiver if you are unable to get it to pass.

Or just move to Arkansas... No inspections AT ALL!!! No inspection sticker either...

There's always a "but" in a situation like this... The cops here can pull you over for absolutely no reason and say it's a roadside inspection.... I haven't heard of anybody getting hit with one that I know, but it could happen when you least expect it.

Hey, I just had mine tested on Thursday, and it failed miserably. I needed an O2 sensor, and thought, maybe, just maybe, it'd pass without.....so my curiosity got the best of me, and I tried, and failed. Got the O2 sensor changed out on Friday, and had it re-tested, and she passed with flying colors! Might be it, but you'd usually have a check engine light if your O2 sensor was bad.

They do have a waiver program in NV, but in Clark County it requires a minimum of $450 to be spent (so long new bumper). Also replacing the cat doesn't count towards the cost of repairs!

It sounds like the cat might need repairs. I might try that additive, but every time you test it costs $30 (no freebies like my old state).

Thanks for the advice. Too bad the bribe won't prob work (computerized testing).

Appreciate it!

Even with computer testing you can still bribe. Before my pathy I had a civic dropped 2 inches, no license plate - In Mass this is illegal because the bumber is lower then a person's knees and you need a plate in the front and back. I came during lunch and before I even drove into the bay I had a sticker. I got pulled over and the sticker still checked out with the cops. Well no more of that since I got my pathy - love it btw! :cool2:

• 3 weeks later...

I drive older cars and I try to drive the car for 30 minutes at least on the highway to get it up to temperature before I go get an emissions inspection. Sometimes older cars need to warm up their emssion related parts such as O2 sensors and such before the operate correctly.

Worked for me when I failed my inspection.

I had the exact same problem, i failed three times! I tried getting the stuff that you pour into the tank and assures you will pass and still faild. what your problem is that your car is what is called running "rich" meaning that you are using more gas then need and thus high levels of CO2. What you need to do is have you O2 sensor changed and it will pass, not only will it pass, your fuel millage will increase as well, so its a win win situation.

hehe it would cost more around here to bribe an attendent, it costs just a low payment of about $40 to just get emessions done regulary. imagen what the attendent would want . used to cost 8 bucks not to long ago.... :furious:

hehe it would cost more around here to bribe an attendent, it costs just a low payment of about $40 to just get emessions done regulary. imagen what the attendent would want . used to cost 8 bucks not to long ago.... :furious:

$40?! Ouch! Its $15 here, and you get another test free if you fail the first time.

LOL, I'd love to pay $40 bucks for a smog check... Try $60 minimum with NO free retest (unless you get good with the guy, he may test run it) but if it fails, the test has to be made at another facility, sometimes a state specified smog-only shop where they wont even pretest and/or turn an idle screw. Welcome to California boys... so your complaints seem silly to me, but then it is relative. And you, I am considering moving out of state... ;)

Bernard

lol wont be long till we are up to that. every thing is gettting more expensive. a couple of years ago when that bad tropical storm came through, our house insurance tripled! can you say rediculous?

then i got into 2 accidents, one my fault (couldnt see sun was in my eyes) and the other wasnt. some stipid %#@*# desided to pull out when i was almost in front of her and i slammed into her fender. now my insurance is like 309 a month just for liability! i guess thats what i get for being 18 and every accident being my fault. %$@* insurance chumps...

in houston we have some of the worst drivers. today while down town some guy thought it would be a good idea to take a left turn from the center lane with traffic infront of us. the a week ago i was driving my pops dodge and a kind semitrailer thought it would be cool to merge right in to my lane with me next to him. good thing my pops truck has good brakes cause that semi trailer didnt even know i was there. and no i wasnt in a blind spot cause i could see him wistling away to the radio. some times i wish i had a tank

When I lived in pa depending on the county was how strict they were with the laws and livung in pittsburgh was a piin I swear they would fail most bicycles and skate bords :D no realy if tour car was starting to get high miles like80.000thy would fail most .

LOL, I'd love to pay $40 bucks for a smog check... Try $60 minimum with NO free retest (unless you get good with the guy, he may test run it) but if it fails, the test has to be made at another facility, sometimes a state specified smog-only shop where they wont even pretest and/or turn an idle screw. Welcome to California boys... so your complaints seem silly to me, but then it is relative. And you, I am considering moving out of state... ;)

Bernard

Here (Seattle area) we have to go to a state place, there are no private ones. So you have to go sit in line for what, half hour-1 hour to test, then stay in your car while they test you. Then you get to drive across town to waste more time at the DMV or a privately owned licensing place that gets to tack on an extra charge. So while its pretty cheap, it can easily take several hours to jump through the hoops. But that's government bureaucracy at its best. :oops:

LOL Mr Pickles. The wait etc is the same here, but at least (or at worst; no cheating) your smog information is electronically sent to the DMV. This also means they know if your car fails, and if it was by 10%+ you are a GROSS POLLUTER. I think there is a shoot on sight mandate for this. I had smog fun with a 78 VW bug convert I'm customizing. Full tune up $100 self installed, 1 smog test fail $70, EGR filter from canada $70 self installed, retest for free 'cause I got good with the guy, $60 smog test at other place, passed with compliments on how good it ran LOL. You do the math. Before I take my new '95 Pathy in for smog, going to change oil, burn 1/2 tank Redline fuel system cleaner (yes, it helps) and replace O2 sensor... No F#(&!^@ around... I'm all for not polluting, but do they make the system so hard. There should be a FREE (or reasonable) state run place that will test your car (a pretest station), tweak little things like idle, and advise you on what probably needs to be done if it still fails. That way you can fix/have it fixed and pass smog. Everybody wins... Sorry, I was dreaming here in the land of the Oh Mighty Dollar.

Bernard

• 5 years later...

I took my truck in for an inspection yesterday and it FAILED...

The Cat on it is only a year and a half old.

What I have read in this post it is pointing to the 02 sensor.

The shop I had the inspection suggested a EGR valve clean out and/or replacement.

Do these reports tell you anything?

Emissions Report before I bought the truck:

hpsc371.jpg

Report from yesterday that FAILED:

hpsc372.jpg

In order of what to inspect/test/replace as I know it:

1) EGR valve

2) O2 sensor

3) Clean engine oil

4) air filter

5) Ignition (hot spart, ie dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires if old)

Your truck is running rich, but not by too much so the EGR alone may be the culprit if it is not functioning properly/clogged.

3-5 are more for when everything else has been checked/fixed/replaced and you are out by a little bit.

Good luck, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

B

Sorry, I just saw that the NOx is through the roof!! I'm not sure what the fix for that is... Does the truck run hot??

Edited by Precise1
oops