Central Cal Monthly wheeling trip?

SC88Pathy

The last two weekends got me thinking that we don't meet up enough. Since there's a lot of us up here on the central coast I was thinking we should have a monthly wheeling trip. Say every second Saturday or something?

We could hit up the different parks around here (Hollister, Frank Raines, and any other places people want to go). Or we could just have a general meet up (coffee and doughnuts, maybe communal wrenching time?)

Anyways what do yall think?

This is stolen from the Xterra Owners club but they do a "mod day" and everyone meets up some place (TBD) and meet, talk, help each other work on their truck if they got mods or damage to repair (me). But it was something that got the locals together and it builds a better sense of belonging to the group. Recently we have been doing good and catching up but it be cool if it was more of a reg basis type of thing. I hear a couple of memebers here join other offroad groups like TTORA and XOC because they wheel a lot more. Just a thought

hahaha, i'm in both of those clubs. i've wheeled with TTORA twice before. and NPORA twice, but i've been at NPORA like 5x longer. haven't wheeled w/ XOC yet. that'll probably change when the summer starts.

but i'd be down for meeting up. my friend on TTORA meets/hangs out w/ the TTORA ppl all the time. it's pretty tight how close they are.

i'm also down for workin on anyone's rig. i rarely have a day off work and school on the same day though, so that's the only problem for me. that's the reason i'm on so many boards. whenever i have a day off both work and school, it's more likely that one group or another is wheeling!

the 22nd Expeditionary Group on the Rugged Rocks board does mod days once in a while as well. usually involves BBQ too.

so in central CA is all the wheelin only in desginated parks?

the 22nd Expeditionary Group on the Rugged Rocks board does mod days once in a while as well. usually involves BBQ too.

so in central CA is all the wheelin only in desginated parks?

I heard clear lakes is like 45min south of hollister which is more central cali so people from so cal could join. I havent really researched it but I hear its fun camping/wheeling.

Edited by Enjoi408

The last two weekends got me thinking that we don't meet up enough. Since there's a lot of us up here on the central coast I was thinking we should have a monthly wheeling trip. Say every second Saturday or something?

We could hit up the different parks around here (Hollister, Frank Raines, and any other places people want to go). Or we could just have a general meet up (coffee and doughnuts, maybe communal wrenching time?)

Anyways what do yall think?

I tried to organize something like that when I first joined the board. Now I don't have much to work on. I have 2 small projects left to do on my truck.

we would need to have a place to do the mod days. as well. It would be nice if it was to be centralized location to us all. Mods days are a great idea with the cost of mechanics and tools and such. We could all save a ton of money and those who don't know much can learn a little about there trucks.

I agree we don't go wheeling enough. I was even thinking of going to frank raines this weekend. But I have stuff I need to get done around the house that I put off for the last 2 weekends. Once a month sounds great, however I don't see it happening. It is hard enough to organize a trip let alone a monthly one. I will definitely push for its success though.

Mark

Well also keep in mind it doesnt always have to be wheeling. We can go out to a food place and meet up just for a bit to eat. This will give us a chance to go mall crawling with out street princess's. :D And I think we all know whos the best street princess of them all.

I heard clear lakes is like 45min south of hollister which is more central cali so people from so cal could join. I havent really researched it but I hear its fun camping/wheeling.

You mean Clear Creek, and it is closed for the foreseeable future due to asbestos concerns.

Also I wouldn't expect everyone to show up to every trip or meeting, it would be nice to know though that if you had the itch to go out wheeling you would have a set day and time when you could go out with some other board members.

@Steeevo

Yeah for the most part wheeling up here is only allowed in state designated areas. Too many hippies up here. :thumbsdown:

Well also keep in mind it doesnt always have to be wheeling. We can go out to a food place and meet up just for a bit to eat. This will give us a chance to go mall crawling with out street princess's. :D And I think we all know whos the best street princess of them all.

Who is the Street Princess??? I did not see any of them on our trip?

i think all you folks up around hollister should drive down here for a weekend at Calico or Big Bear....I made my 5 hr drive for the day...so you guys can make one for the weekend...looks like it'll be until at least march B4 the stripping begins so theres another 20 some days in Feb...

SteeevO and the folks over at RR and in the 22nd are really cool guys and I had a blast with them...it would be nice to get about 10 or so pathy's together for a run...

Did you verify if your CV was the same bolt pattern as the 5 pt start with 5 bolts total?

Also Mark and UNCC should be able to chime in on this one. but How do I test for a broken auto hub? When I came slamming down we heard a loud crash and it could of been that auto hub but dont know for sure. :shrug:

Did you verify if your CV was the same bolt pattern as the 5 pt start with 5 bolts total?

no cuz i told you that i wouldn't use that CV just cuz the boots ripped and it looks all gummy and messed up inside. it's been exposed to the elements, so i wouldn't rely on it. plus i haven't even had the time to look at it yet. i can remove it if you want, though.

hmm put it on a lift....run it in 4x4 hi and look at the cvs if one is spinning and hte tires arent then thats the bad hub...pull that hub and clean it out regrease it and try it again...or just upgrade to warn manuals

With a broken CV, the wheel wouldnt spin at all. lol.

no cuz i told you that i wouldn't use that CV just cuz the boots ripped and it looks all gummy and messed up inside. it's been exposed to the elements, so i wouldn't rely on it. plus i haven't even had the time to look at it yet. i can remove it if you want, though.

I'll search for CV's then. I guess just tear out the Steering kit. I think its the tierods, CL, pitman arm, idler arm. I think thats it if I havent forgotten anything.

Enjoi,

You know I got to thinking about your CV joint.

I Think the reason it failed is because it was a new cv joint and had not been broken in yet. (btw I don't think both of your CV's were replaced)

When I replaced both of mine with new Cvs when i went to toighten the bolts on the seccond Cv (car front end up in the air and suspension at full droop) I could not turn the tire. when I then put the jack under the tire of the first cv and jacked it up just a litte the other tire would start to spin. Turns out wehn brand new the cv binds at full droop. Now after about 10k miles both spin at full droop. so I think that is what happened to your cv joint. I think if you could have put some more miles on it after it was replaced it would have been fine. Or perhaps the cv was defective and bound up when it should not have.

I have not heard anything about a recommended break-in period on cv joints. This is just a theory based on what I experienced on mine.

Mark

Enjoi,

You know I got to thinking about your CV joint.

I Think the reason it failed is because it was a new cv joint and had not been broken in yet. (btw I don't think both of your CV's were replaced)

When I replaced both of mine with new Cvs when i went to toighten the bolts on the seccond Cv (car front end up in the air and suspension at full droop) I could not turn the tire. when I then put the jack under the tire of the first cv and jacked it up just a litte the other tire would start to spin. Turns out wehn brand new the cv binds at full droop. Now after about 10k miles both spin at full droop. so I think that is what happened to your cv joint. I think if you could have put some more miles on it after it was replaced it would have been fine. Or perhaps the cv was defective and bound up when it should not have.

I have not heard anything about a recommended break-in period on cv joints. This is just a theory based on what I experienced on mine.

Mark

When you say ad miles to your CV's, are you talking about putting some miles in 4wd? Or just drive the truck around in 2wd breaking the CV's in?

When you say ad miles to your CV's, are you talking about putting some miles in 4wd? Or just drive the truck around in 2wd breaking the CV's in?

you would not be braking in cv's unless you were in 4WD