Hard to diagnose

dagwoodzz

2 weeks ago I start the truck in morning and begin to back up. She dies like she runs out of gas. Then absolutely nothing. Couple hours later starts up runs 5 or 6 seconds dies like out of gas.

Change fuel filter the next week, runs like a champ. Do a couple of test runs up and down the street it's fixed. Take the kids to school then go to get on interstate and she dies when I excellerate to merge (5 miles from house). Will not restart.

A buddy pulls me home park her for a week, just for kicks I started her yesterday and she runs fine, couple of test runs up and down the street no problem.

WTF?

Friday I will empty gas tank, and try some new gas, really don't want to change the fuel pump if it's not broke. I thought when fuel pumps fail they fail totally. Any Ideas what else to look at if changing the gas doesn't help?

No engine lights no warning, completely shuts down like it's out of gas.

99.9% sure it's not the fuel pump. I'd be inclined to think it's the sending unit.

However, are you SURE that you've got spark? I had a melted wire that would cause intermittent starting/running issues that ran to my distributor. I spliced in a new one, and I've been fine since. Might be worth a look at your wiring near the battery.

**side note** I didn't have time to get that pump out to you, but I will get it out this week, in case it is your problem.

I forget where the pressure regulator is on the nissans but I had a similar issue on a dodge that had the pressure regulator as part of the fuel pump. It was failing and not maintaining sufficient pressure for the injectors to work. Just a thought.

might want to check your EGR valve and make sure it's working ok

that is if you have an EGR valve. not sure about the VG30i engines

Edited by nige

yea... plugged egr would caouse stalling

I thought that was only if the diaphragm got ripped...I know when i rebuild the top end of my 87 the tube leading to the EGR in the intake casting was completely packed full of carbon and theres no way anything was getting through there

also for grins...check the + cable running from the battery to the starter...i had one chafe through...but on the 3rd time mine died and wouldnt refire the battery melted b/c it had fully arced to the frame...i doubt this is the problem but wouldnt hurt to check

Edited by unccpathfinder

Bobby came over Sunday and we Sea Foamed the snot out of it hoping if it was carbon clogging the EGR valve. No Go. Went up and down the road about 15 minutes 3000 rpms one or two slight hesitations then total failure. The smoke from the sea foam was halarious, good thing it was windy, the smoke might have shown up on Dopular Radar.

EGR valve is not cheap.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/productde...282&PTSet=A

I think I will take to a shop to run diagnostics. May cost a $100, but will keep me from changing $100 dollar parts that don't need it.

On a side note since, made a cardboard bracket for my oil filter relocation kit. After she's running I will take to a sheet metal fabricator and have them duplicate it.

I thought when fuel pumps fail they fail totally. .

you'd think but that is definitely not my experience. every single time they acted up and acted up until i changed them.

99.9% sure it's not the fuel pump. I'd be inclined to think it's the sending unit.

However, are you SURE that you've got spark? I had a melted wire that would cause intermittent starting/running issues that ran to my distributor. I spliced in a new one, and I've been fine since. Might be worth a look at your wiring near the battery.

**side note** I didn't have time to get that pump out to you, but I will get it out this week, in case it is your problem.

yeah, i'd definitely start by checking the spark and all the related components. then fuel pressure. if you have the fuel rails, there is a bicycle type valve on each rail. that's where you check it. "shade tree" mechanic's just depress the valve by hand and if you have a geyser of fuel from there, chances are the pump is good. a real mech would attach a pressure guage there. :)

I thought that was only if the diaphragm got ripped...I know when i rebuild the top end of my 87 the tube leading to the EGR in the intake casting was completely packed full of carbon and theres no way anything was getting through there

also for grins...check the + cable running from the battery to the starter...i had one chafe through...but on the 3rd time mine died and wouldnt refire the battery melted b/c it had fully arced to the frame...i doubt this is the problem but wouldnt hurt to check

definitely check the ground. could be the whole problem there

You can check your codes yourself instead of wasting $100...

i would also say, do all the diagnostics that may apply yourself before you go throwing hundo bills around unless you have too much cash and if that is the case, why don't you donate some to my unemployment fund. thanks. :)

Could it be the air throttle intake and/or the MAF sensor?

could be a number of different things. start with the ecu, then your spark components, then fuel pump. you'll figure it out.

its getting spark, its getting fuel, and it has compression but will not run. the way it dies its like someone just turns off the key. It isn't a slow die of power. it just goes from running fine to all the way dead.

its getting spark, its getting fuel, and it has compression but will not run. the way it dies its like someone just turns off the key. It isn't a slow die of power. it just goes from running fine to all the way dead.

What mine did with the cracked coil casing. Coil put out good spark, when it wasn't arcing out of the crack in the side....

pulled "44 ECCS Normal Operation". I guess that ECU talk for no problem dude.

did find today that the vacuum hose on MAF was not plugged behind air intake. the hose is cracked.

Also I continue to get a sweet burn smell. there is some water on the exterior of the oil filter. blown head gasket maybe? absolutely no water in the oil. checked checked and checked.

GG may be onto something with the coil, remember this broken hose?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=21002

don't know how long it had been like that, but made a black mark on the engine compartment and put a nice coat of carbon on the coil. Maybe got it too hot and damaged it.

Could be a million things.

Edited by dagwoodzz

• 2 months later...

Got a coil off an '88 found at the j/y. Got a speeding ticket on the way home. Could have bought a new one for the price of the ticket. Try to get it on this week to see if anything changes.

maybe you have a short in your ignition or something. does it shut off whenu hit bumps?

I can't really tell, Twice in my yard the other time getting on the interstate accelerating.

Plan is to change the coil if no change, try the EGR, the j/y has a fuel pump and sending unit, if cheap enough I will change this also.

After that I will have to pay someone to look for the short. Plus the head gasket needs replacing. not looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

On the coil, there are two parts the large unit and a small unit. The small unit from the j/y all the mounting pieces were froze up, so I did not change this piece. What is the smaller unit that plugs into the coil?

changed the coil. let it idle to temerature, the tack started going all over the place and it died. This time she cranked back up and ran and ran and ran. Put her in 4wd hit the trails in the back yard lots of fun with no problem. Still scared to get away from the house without a buddy. Hopefully I can get with Bobby next week and take a road trip.