Replacement rear links w/ johnny joints.

SteeevO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy those in a heart beat, my pathy is all over the road i need to replace these trailing arm bushings and was considering building the same thing you are, i hope you can make 'em for cheaper than i could if you make a lot of them. Keep me informed, keep us all informed, looks like you got a market for these.

I would be interested in this product although only if they were at a good price. As there is only 1 part that is not a off the shelf part witch is the tubing being cut to length and taped in a reverse direction in each side ( assuming you are going to make them adjustable in length without removal from the vehicle and use a lh/rh john joint on each side.). don't get me wrong I do not expect them to be dirt cheep as I know the johnny joints for 2 links retail is around 160 dollars. I assume you can get a better deal buying in bulk. then you still need to make the center tube. Cant wait to hear the price you can make them 4. Can you tell me i am right or not on my assumption above.

WOW too many replies to fast! lol

I am interested and this may have been covered but I didn't read all the replies.

what about designing one that has a solid poly on the frame side(like oe) and a Johnny on the axle side.

I'm not well versed in this sort of thing but I would think the whole link does not need to pivot just one end under flex(and johnnys do that more than most others)

I would also think that having a solid poly on the frame side would help its high speed road maners vs. having a johnny on each end. YES? NO? or is that just totally not a concern?

by having two johnny joint with opposite threading (left-hand and right-hand), all you need to do is loosen the jam nut, and twist the center section. because of the opposite threads, it will either lengthen or shorten itself.

with only one johnny joint, the link will have to be completely removed to be adjusted. two johnny joints allow adjustment without being removed.

WOW, how did I miss this? I'd be VERY interested as I have been thinking about making my own. Are you making upper and lowers? What about Panhard bars? My plan was to make replacements for all 5 links with JJs.

WOW, how did I miss this? I'd be VERY interested as I have been thinking about making my own. Are you making upper and lowers? What about Panhard bars? My plan was to make replacements for all 5 links with JJs.

theres no need for a JJ on a panhard bar, they dont twist.... a poly bushing will work fine for a panhard

I would be interested in this product although only if they were at a good price. As there is only 1 part that is not a off the shelf part witch is the tubing being cut to length and taped in a reverse direction in each side ( assuming you are going to make them adjustable in length without removal from the vehicle and use a lh/rh john joint on each side.). don't get me wrong I do not expect them to be dirt cheep as I know the johnny joints for 2 links retail is around 160 dollars. I assume you can get a better deal buying in bulk. then you still need to make the center tube. Cant wait to hear the price you can make them 4. Can you tell me i am right or not on my assumption above.

The tube will be cut to length, single point threaded and powder coated. The JJ's are not your normal JJ's. Regular JJ's are 2-5/8 wide and the stock bushings on these trucks are 2-3/8. the JJs that you will get with these links are are modified for the 2-3/8 wide application.

The links will also be Right-hand-thread on one end and Left on the other for easy adjusting.

also me buying in bulk from currie is not different than me buying a few at a time, my dealer price stays the same.

Edited by SteeevO

I've got pricing on the materials, joints, powdercoating, but i missed the call the from the machine shop today which it the last thing i need to come up with a final price.

I'll be calling the machine shop back in the morning, and i should FINALLY have the Final price.

Sorry this is taking so long,

I've got pricing on the materials, joints, powdercoating, but i missed the call the from the machine shop today which it the last thing i need to come up with a final price.

I'll be calling the machine shop back in the morning, and i should FINALLY have the Final price.

Sorry this is taking so long,

taking so long.... ? you're moving at light speed compared to most businesses...

Another Kiwi!! so far we have 2 that i know of...

I'd have to wait untill i get i get them made, see what they weigh, and go from there. so it'll be whatever i pay, i don't make $ on shipping.

Edited by SteeevO

taking so long.... ? you're moving at light speed compared to most businesses...

X2

yeh seriously way to invent and sell in the same week. If you need to take deep breath none of us will freak out.

The tube will be cut to length, single point threaded and powder coated. The JJ's are not your normal JJ's. Regular JJ's are 2-5/8 wide and the stock bushings on these trucks are 2-3/8. the JJs that you will get with these links are are modified for the 2-3/8 wide application.

The links will also be Right-hand-thread on one end and Left on the other for easy adjusting.

also me buying in bulk from currie is not different than me buying a few at a time, my dealer price stays the same.

Thanks for the great reply these are now more appealing then before I did not realize you were going to get custom width JJ's and thought we would have to cut off the mounts and weld on new ones. Making it a bolt in part will make it more appealing to the masses. Sounds like you are a great product provider and do your research well before diving in, Hope you get pricing up soon And look forward to seeing the finished product. And have you thought about making a upper set as well?

Thanks guys, I'm moving on this as fast as possible.

This price is not set in stone but right now we are looking at about $325 for a pair of Lower WD21 Links complete w/ JJ's and Jam nuts.

I do plan on getting Uppers done as well. With the amount of material i plan on ordering for this first run i should have 20 links (10 pairs) of lowers and a couple pairs of uppers.

The price on the uppers will most likely be a little cheaper due to using less material but they will use the same johnny joints and the rest of the process in making them is the same.

Thanks guys, I'm moving on this as fast as possible.

This price is not set in stone but right now we are looking at about $325 for a pair of Lower WD21 Links complete w/ JJ's and Jam nuts.

I do plan on getting Uppers done as well. With the amount of material i plan on ordering for this first run i should have 20 links (10 pairs) of lowers and a couple pairs of uppers.

The price on the uppers will most likely be a little cheaper due to using less material but they will use the same johnny joints and the rest of the process in making them is the same.

Would it be cheaper to use a weld in bung instead of single point threading them? You could weld it all the way around, and then put about four plug welds on the shaft inside the tube? Also, do they need to be adjustable? Couldn't you just use a Johnny joint that wasn't threaded and weld it in as long as you didnt melt the joint?

Well now that i have been looking I cant find a Johnny Joint that isnt threaded. But you could just notch the tube and weld it straight to the DOM of the Johnny joint as long as you could disassemble the joint before welding. Using a Johnny Joint like this> http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Johnny...ts-p-16765.html

Or use something like this> http://rubiconexpress.com/BuilderParts/Pro...spx?part=RE3766

Edited by nmpath

it technically could be done that way, but having adjustable links with single point threading is a much cleaner setup. I use weld in bungs when i need a one off part or if it's a prototype, and i honestly don't think it will save that much money since it's more labor intensive having to notch the tube, then weld it straight etc.

With single point threading, once the CNC is programmed, they all come out the same.

Also if you were to make these out of 2" DOM and bungs you can figure $160 for 4 JJs, $100 for 4 bungs and 4 jam nuts and about another $55 in DOM. which puts you at $315 and thats no labor to weld it together and no powder coating either.

Edited by SteeevO