Replacement rear links w/ johnny joints.

SteeevO

It's been on my mind for probably about 8 months now to offer replacement rear links for both the WD21 and R50.

These new links would use Johnny Joints which would allow your suspension to articulate much easier over the stock rubber bushings, also being that these trucks are starting to get up there in their years, replacing your factory stock links and beat up bushings with new links and rebuildable johnny joints doesn't sounds like a half bad idea. but i wanted to know what you think.

RR-JJ-Pathfinder-Links.JPG

whats a johnny joint?

Johnny Joint Video

Edited by SteeevO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good idea. Would these be street legal?

I would have to mark these as off-road use only.

How much?

I'm working on getting a price.

Very interesting... Would it make the ride any harsher, there being no cushioning from bushings?

Do you have someone local to CNC thread the tubing?

B

There are actually urethane bushings around the ball in the middle. Checkout the Johnny-Joint Video, it has lots of infomation on the joint.

Johnny Joint Video

and I have a few places not too far from here that can tap the tubing

Edited by SteeevO

sound pretty cool, i wish they were legal for a DD

would you make them a little longer than the stock version too?

They will be the stock length when adjusted all the way short. and you can lengthen them almost 4"

why wouldnt they be "street legal" ?

may i suggest 2"x.250 DOM or 2x2x.250 square tube for the bottom links, they will hold up better on the rocks.

They wouldn't be DOT approved.

The 1.75"x.281 Wall is required for tapping the tube and fit the joints 1.25" shank (which is the biggest the option joints come in and is bigger than what most leading jeep suspension manufactures use, Rubicon Express etc..) without using weld in bungs.

I've ran both types of tube and i haven't had any problems with either one.

They will be the stock length when adjusted all the way short. and you can lengthen them almost 4"

They wouldn't be DOT approved.

The 1.75"x.281 Wall is required for tapping the tube and fit the joints 1.25" shank (which is the biggest the option joints come in and is bigger than what most leading jeep suspension manufactures use, Rubicon Express etc..) without using weld in bungs.

I've ran both types of tube and i haven't had any problems with either one.

who is going to check to see if they're DOT approved? the SS brake lines i have been running in my Z for the last 15 years are not DOT approved. there are a ton of non DOT aftermarket parts out there. it doesn't mean they're not safe for a DD, it just means that they have not been through the Governments over taxation process yet. i say go for the links for any vehicle. its better than buying (8) sets of bushings from AC @ ~$50/set.

There are actually urethane bushings around the ball in the middle. Checkout the Johnny-Joint Video, it has lots of infomation on the joint.

Yeah, sorry. I'm at work and don't play videos, etc here...

I would have to mark these as off-road use only.

That sucks, but you need to avoid the liability. IF someone were to run them on the street, well, that is on them, right... ;)

I have a few places not too far from here that can tap the tubing

I highly recommend single point threading...

B

i'm not saying it's won't be safe to drive. it's basically a release of liability on my part. It basically falls into the same category as Rubicon Express, Calmini, or any other suspension manufacturer.

Here is Curries Terms and Conditions:

Any alteration or improper use will void this warranty. Because all parts which we sell are intended for use in heavy duty applications, it is not possible to warranty or guarantee the performance of any items. Further, we disclaim any liability for action resulting from failure or parts durability. We disclaim any express or implied warranties. Our products may be subject to an infinite variety of conditions due to the manner in which they are used, serviced and/or installed. Purchasers and users of such products rely upon their own judgement as to the suitable use, selection, service, and installation of such products.

Calmini:

CALMINI Products, Inc. guarantees that all of its parts are of the finest quality and free from manufacturing defects. Any product that we feel has been manufactured incorrectly or is of a defective nature will be repaired or replaced at our sole discretion. ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE PRODUCT IS SUBJECT TO ABUSE, CRASH DAMAGE, IMPROPER INSTALLATION, OR MODIFICATION OF ANY KIND. All parts not manufactured by CALMINI Products, Inc. are subject to the manufacturer's own warranty policy. We are not responsible for any installation charges incurred when installing our products. We cannot be responsible for other manufacturer's products.

I'd fall in the same boat as them, and say the same thing for my terms and conditions.

Yeah, sorry. I'm at work and don't play videos, etc here...

Basically there is a urethane bushing surrounding the ball in the middle that absorbs shock and help eliminate road noise getting transfered through the joint into the truck itself.

That sucks, but you need to avoid the liability. IF someone were to run them on the street, well, that is on them, right... ;)

Exactly right.

I highly recommend single point threading...

taken into consideration.

Well if you did install these links on your DD and they did fail causing an accident, i would be surprised if your insurance company covered the damages when they find out these parts are not DOT approved. I understand Steven's choice to market them as off-highway use only.

it's really no different if you run Calmini UCAs, or SLR steering etc...

So back to the original reason i posted this.... who is interested in these?

Maybe i should have made this thread a poll.

i am also interested, but i would like to know a price. Will these links provide even more articulation over the stock links of the same length?

I'm working on getting pricing by the end of the day, and will post here as soon as I get more info.

Anyone else?

By saying you are interested, you are not commiting, i'm only looking for how many people like the idea, and would consider buying them.

I'm working on getting pricing by the end of the day, and will post here as soon as I get more info.

Anyone else?

By saying you are interested, you are not commiting, i'm only looking for how many people like the idea, and would consider buying them.

interested - yes

like idea - yes

think they will sell - yes

pay someone to do what i can do myself - no

keep up the good ideas, maybe some day the pathfinders will catch up to the rest of the bolt-on 4x4 community (like heeps and toys)

Anyone else?

I am also interested, i think the johnny joint style idea is awesome. keep up the good work. :aok:

Anyone else?

i'm very interested as well. please get back to us with pricing!

I was supposed to be getting a phone call back and an e-mail from another place, Nothing yet.

I am going to down to a shop first thing in the morning.

Edited by SteeevO