ignition switch...car dying

jgt

I bought a new ignition switch cuz my truck died yesterday as I was driving down the road. It's been needing to be replaced. Got it started again and got it home, but it'll intermittently die or have trouble starting. So when I got my new switch, this blue part was not situated the right direction for installation, I compared it to the original. So I took a screwdriver, stuck it in the blue "t" part and 'turned' it the right way so I could install it. It incrementally clicks as you turn this. There's no way it could fit if I didn't turn it.

Anyhow, I got it installed, but it still dies. Could it be that me turning this blue part did damage, didn't feel wierd when it clicked. And why wasn't it correctly oriented when I bought it? Is this normal? Thanks, hope this makes sense. I'm quite sure this is my problem, the only other thing I did to the truck this week is buy a new battery. I'll double check the battery connection tomorrow, but my feeling is that it's this switch.

post-2922-1232791309_thumb.jpg

Edited by jgt

hmm...if i recall this correctly...you can uninstall that piece and stick a flat tip in there and jump start the truck...that may be a good way to make sure its still working...

I guess it also depends on how hard you turned it and if hte click was a click or a "snap"

other than that i can't really assist...

Checked your fuel filter lately?

nope, I thought of that one...but wouldn't it kinda sputter then die? This just cuts off like someone pulled the plug. I guess it wouldn't hurt to change it out though!

hmm...if i recall this correctly...you can uninstall that piece and stick a flat tip in there and jump start the truck...that may be a good way to make sure its still working...

I guess it also depends on how hard you turned it and if hte click was a click or a "snap"

other than that i can't really assist...

thanks for your input. Stick a flat tip in where? In that blue "T"?

nope, I thought of that one...but wouldn't it kinda sputter then die? This just cuts off like someone pulled the plug. I guess it wouldn't hurt to change it out though!

I've had my fuel filter cause that kind of issue, and also I had a cracked coil (plastic cover was cracked on it)that caused the engine to just die for no reason.

thanks for your input. Stick a flat tip in where? In that blue "T"?

yea just be careful holding it...b/c you can probably get a nice shock from the exposed contacts if your touching them...

my 87 had all kinds of ignition problems after I did my 1st swap and ended up just running postion 4 off of a momentary bump switch so it still required the key to start it to get fuel and what not

• 1 month later...
Checked your fuel filter lately?

bump...

update...it really was the fuel filter. Thanks grimgreg....runs great now. No dying and more peppy!