remote starters

smoke

anyone have remote starters on there rigs.......thinkin about getting one....will be installed by a pro shop......just wonderin what you guys think.....

I have a remote starter and alarm on mine. I had it installed by a pro as well. Some people think they're more trouble than they are worth, but I love mine. It's really nice up here in Canada where we're in a deep freeze right now.

I second that notion. I just got one installed on my 04' and I love it. I feel kinda spoiled to be honest with you. I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and the temperature here right now is -6 so it's by far a luxury right now. They may be a little pricey but def. worth it; make sure the installer offers a lifetime warranty. :beer:

And if you have a Manual vehicle, its not recommended you install a remote starter. I know some shops won't even do it. Just imaginge what will happen if you leave it in first and then start it up cause you forgot...yea, some serious issues..

And if you have a Manual vehicle, its not recommended you install a remote starter. I know some shops won't even do it. Just imaginge what will happen if you leave it in first and then start it up cause you forgot...yea, some serious issues..

Compustar is the brand that I have. I only have the 2 way alarm but you can add all kinds of stuff to it like remote start and they have a fool proof safy feature where it will only start the car if it was left in nuetrul when ther door was close and locked. If the door is opened up again before being started it disengages the remote start feature. It was really cool. Check it out. Way better than VIPER IMO

me either i went into my local costom shop and asked for an alarm and keyless entry and they said do u want remote start also. I told them i ahd a manual and they went into detail and explained how the new keyless entry worked for manuals also. So get a COMPUSTAR one i really like mine! I dont have the remote start but i can add it in there also if you have 2 cars with the same thing you can control both with the same remote it has a option to control 2 different cars indiviually. Plus there are many other features you can. It only costed me like 200 for the keyless entry and alarm to be installed. the remote start part was like another 90 bucks or something.

I understand the good ones have a input from the nuetral safety switch on the manual transmissions.

I have one on my Jimmy and love it. I will get one on the pathy when my wife gets a job. Not that you may have to buy an extra module to bypass the factory alarm system if so equipped.

I strongl;y recommend going to a reputable shop that does stereos and the like vs. future shop or other lo end store. You want soldered and heat shrinked connections routed nive and clean and tie strapped, not some hack job - the savings is never worthwhile in the long run.

If you get a combo alarm: They often put a hood pin switch in that sets the alarm if the hood is opened. They may drill a hole to mount the switch. I told them not to do this and for a just few dollars more I instead got a mercury switch mounted to the hood under an existing screw. Much cleaner install. HTH.

Edited by BowTied

I don't know of Compustar, but I do know of Viper....I had 1 viper alarm/remote start that lasted just over 10 yrs and I sold it with the car!!! No problems ever!

They are more than worth the hassle...warm in cold Winter, cool in hot Summer! They can defrost windows, put windows up and down, they can open sunroofs or close everything to arm the system, even page you if they are set off...they are a jem! I have actually caught somone that banged into my rig with their conversion van when I was inside a store. The unit paged the remote and I went outside to find this guy wiping my bumper!! Lol, nothing happened major but he was shocked when I showed up!

Now, for the tree huggers on earth with their wasted fuel damaging enviroment claims---stop using electric as it makes more damagin components to greenhouse gas than cars and by the way YES cows emit methane in a cycle that we will never be able to stop since we eat so much meat and use so much leather!!

The only real downside is people that leave the car run for too long...that is a waste. I have my timer set on 10 min--if I can't get my but out of the house and leaving in the car it will stop after 10...err maybe its 8 I can't remember.

I did have one on my manual CRX--it is illegal in most states to have it on a manual for the front window reason. Only once did I leave the car in gear and it tried driving away. The parking brake got drug across my driveway--most remote starts will try to start a car 3 times---luckily only 3 in my case!

I understand the good ones have a input from the nuetral safety switch on the manual transmissions.

If you get a combo alarm: They often put a hood pin switch in that sets the alarm if the hood is opened. They may drill a hole to mount the switch. I told them not to do this and for a just few dollars more I instead got a mercury switch mounted to the hood under an existing screw. Much cleaner install. HTH.

My mom has a 5spd isuzu rodeo with remote start and it will not start unless it's left in neutral.

Also for my pathy they did drill a hole near the fender for the hood switch but it was very professionally done. I can't even find the wires for it!

Oh yeah its a prostart 5072 my dad got it for me for xmas so either way it was a good deal.

Edited by adamzan

I have a compustar pro on my '97. Its a 2 way alarm/remote start combo, and I love it.

There are a few brands that are manual trans compatible but compustar is definitely my favorite (i have been through many alarms/remote starts) Neutral safety switches are standard on pretty much all remote starters.

They are really not that hard to install if you are familiar with electronics, specifically 12v. If you are not, definitely go to a shop and have it installed.

For a remote start/alarm combo, you will need to find and hook up the following wires...

12v constant

Ignition

Accessory

Starter (x2)

Door Trigger

Tach

Lock

Unlock

Domelight (if you want this feature)

Brake

Parking lights

Horn (if you want instead of or in addition to siren)

If your pathy has an engine immobilizer there are some more depending on the type of bypass used

Edited by 93xe

sounds just its simular to mine minus the remoste start i didnt want to add that at the time. I think it works well and it claims to go 3000ft but i would maybe 2500 on a fairly flat spot i havent really tested it out that much i just know it goes farther then my freinds 500$ viper one

Most newer remote starter/alarm systems designed for manual transimssions have a by-pass module which doesn't let the engine start unless the transmission is out of gear. It's similar to the killswitch on any remote starter that cuts the engine when the key isn't inserted in the ignition and you attempt to depress the brake pedal when putting the vehicle into gear.

I've got a remote starter/alarm system by Autostart and I would't have it any other way. Comes in real handy with these crappy winters we have in Canada. :aok:

I had an ebay remote start rigged into my wd21 a few years back...I had a guy on Craigslist install it in my driveway, he rigged the hood sensor onto the E-brake and if the E-brake was down, the remote was deactivated (as if the hood was up),

But it is still dangerous....when my brother was showing it to a potential buyer, he hit the button and it jerked forward since it was in gear...I think the chick threw away the remote after buying the truck...lol

I had MyerEmco install the one on my R50 for the little lady on her automatic...the only issue I have is that if I use the unlock on his Viper system, my alarm goes crazy. But we carry both FOB's and have learned not to use the Viper one for the locks. She can't handle cold, so she loves it.

Edited by lunchindabox

• 3 weeks later...

I bought through Amazon an Audiovox Prestige remote starter with door unlock (my door remote went bad for my 97) and installed it myself in about 5 hours. It works great. It was easy to install and you can find through a Google seach the wiring color codes for the wires you need to connect to and where you might find the wire under the dash. I also used the inline, push-in wiresplices to make the connections. It did help that I'm an electrician by trade, but if you have some basic electrical knowledge, you could do the install easily.

I've had my Viper Alarm/Remote Starter for about 2 years now, and I'm happy. Every once in a while the stock alrm goes off, but that's only if you don't lock the car right away. As long as you arm the Viper before the stock alarm arms you're good... I think.

The issue with the reotee starters installed on a manual is one thing, but what about installing the remote starter on a vehicle with a chipped key as like my 2001 Alty. Do the later model R50s have chipped keys?

I've had my Viper Alarm/Remote Starter for about 2 years now, and I'm happy. Every once in a while the stock alrm goes off, but that's only if you don't lock the car right away. As long as you arm the Viper before the stock alarm arms you're good... I think.

The issue with the reotee starters installed on a manual is one thing, but what about installing the remote starter on a vehicle with a chipped key as like my 2001 Alty. Do the later model R50s have chipped keys?

yes, i believe it started in '01, but i could be wrong. For a vehicle with a chipped key you incorporate a bypass module, which is either a spare key in a box or a keyless box, into the remote starter so the vehicle sees the chip when it starts.

• 1 month later...

Another thing with manual tranny pf's is that the clutch pedal has to be depressed in order for it to turn over. Now if this is somehow bypassed too then if you decide to park the vehicle in gear for safety, leave it in 3rd or 4th gear. If you happen to forget you left it in gear and try to crank it with the remote start there is less chance of the vehicle starting because of the high gear it is in. That coupled with the handbrake should keep it from taking off.