who else was a toyota guy? Why buy toyota?

speedbuggy67

Prior to me getting the pathfinder i was a hard core toyota guy. Despite not owning any toyota 4x4's although had 2 84 rwd celicas with 22re's i swore by toyotas until getting my high mileage 92 pathfinder for a steal. I never planned on loving the path, even more then a toyota but price led me here but overall build is making me stay. I still frequent the toyota forums but can't justify the upcharge just for the name. it seems 22re's and the 3.slow in the 'runners and pickups had their share of headgasket issues esp the 3.0 with burning valves and so forth. Birfields were a problem wiht them as well as cv's spinning all the time prematurely wearing them(click click click) Seems comparing the pathfinder with a 80's or early 90's 4runner or pickup we have a much better truck. vg30's run forever and take a HUGE beating, manual trans are gold if filled properly, and auto's are great with aftermarket coolers. Stock LSD's on se's as well as 31in tires. Best of all they're cheaper!!! COmparing apples to apples why has toyota gotten such a following over Nissan. Anyone else converted?

Scott

ps down the road when the pathfinder needs a replacement the 00-01 xterra or 97-98 4runner with 3.4 would be a close comparison both with frames and reliability(toyota E-locker in the rear too!!!)....

a lot of toyota trucks came with standard rear locking diff. i liked the look of them and the way the torsion bars attach to the UCA instead of the LCA. They were too much money for what u were getting though

Had a 1992 4 runner - awesome but slowly wore out (after 200K), the slushbox was a bit laggy and the V6 was very inefficient. I still have a Tacoma 2wd from 96 which is excellent and well supported with after market bits which is why I bought it. Comparing the 4Runner and Pathfinder as they are very similar (4wd, V6 etc) I feel that the Toyota interior is a lot nicer, but the toyota did not seem to be as mechanically well thought out. My Pathy just feels indistructable, great frame, great engine (for the time) and solid feel on the road. Just needs more after market support, particularly on the high mileage wear areas, like gear shifter linkage, PU bushings, gearbox rebuilds etc. In 10 years there will be more pathfinders from the early 90's than 4runners, they just feel more robust. Having said that the 2.5L toyota 4 pot is stunning - 150K and still at 25+mpg.

I had a 97 4runner last year with 212k miles on it. It was a much nicer ride than my pathfinder but it should be for $5500 vs. $1800 for my pathfinder.

I blew the engine within 45 days of getting it because I got some mud on the timing belt which caused it to slip. Bent rod... :(

It had a lot nicer interior but it was a 97 - I am not sure what the 97 pathy's interior is like but surely it is nicer than my 91 path.

It also rode ALOT smoother but there is NO COMPARISON to my pathy on the trails. The LSD on my path kicks the @!*%e out of anything my 4runner could do.

If you go with a toyota get one with the Electronic Diff locker... Mine did not have it therefore it was weak in the wheeling department.

I love my pathfinder!

Old Trail Rig

2007-12-30_12-40-28.JPG

New Trail Rig

9371457041.254563015.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x375.jpg

Air.jpg

Edited by BonnerBB

Agree on the solid axle part but i think i can vouch for "saltroad" states we dont' have any 85and older 4runners and pickups so they aren't even a choice... 90's landcruisers yes... but i tried to compare pathy to 4runner and hardbody to 95 older pickup as all are the under 5k pricetag after that frontier/taco's take over...

I'd argue the e-locker debate but taco's didn't get the option til 98 TRD in 6cyl only form and 4runner i believe 96 or 97 started it but that died in 00-01 when "traction control" took over...

I still swear by toyota's just can't justify the price but sure they have a great aftermarket... new market for new market its close though but old school toyota has the lead by far...

Psst, that is what a "Birfield" is :sssh: .

lol yup birfield is the part of the solid axle front end... the joint on each side. A toyota purist would go nutts for me even putting it up there in a neg... i retract that statement only issues birfields have are both when the oil seal goes bad and washes out the grease in the axle and when overloaded offroad with tires etc they break. Nissan steering isn't known to be strong either when loaded up with 33 or bigger meat.....

Toyota 4wd owner mag still comes to my house bi-monthly... i'd get the nissan one except they haven't made it yet...

Scott