good bye

here4now

it's been fun, but I sold my nightmare last night, so I seriously doubt I will be back on this forum. I may end up in one of the newer sections in the future. if I get a VQ pathy, the VGs are way too underpowered to me.

Thank you to every one who has helped me with the nightmare.

Don't go away mad.

I'm not going away mad, the vehicle was a lemon that's all. It was a learning experience, that reminds me not to buy a car with bald tires.

Just curious:

What was wrong with it...

What did get for it $?

Mileage:

Year:

starter bad

rear caliper held in by 1 bolt with frozen slides

IAC not functional

no speakers

no horn

frozen rear tire carrier

hatch and window struts bad

Door locks wonky (if you locked it, good luck opening it again)

No rear frame

rust

A/C belt off

possible miss

unknown age of timing belt

and those are the issues that I knew of.

I got $750 for it.

1994 SE V6 offroad package

slick i think you meant not so far future...

do you mind me asking what you paid for it? the things listed if you were mechanically inclined would have probably only $400 max to fix yourself but I guess what's done is done...

Did you check the vehicle out before purchasing or was this like an ebay deal?

Hope you get something thats a little better be it another pathy or other make/model

it's been fun, but I sold my nightmare last night, so I seriously doubt I will be back on this forum.

Sorry to hear, but that's quite a laundry list of issues to overcome. I can see why you didn't try to address them.

Thats why I'll pay a more for a vehicle with few/no known problems. and use that as a base.

As for underpowered, yeah, some people complain about that... :shrug:

Best of luck and maybe see you in the future. :beer:

B

slick i think you meant not so far future...

do you mind me asking what you paid for it? the things listed if you were mechanically inclined would have probably only $400 max to fix yourself but I guess what's done is done...

Did you check the vehicle out before purchasing or was this like an ebay deal?

Hope you get something thats a little better be it another pathy or other make/model

I paid $500 for it.

I put $180 into tires plus $20 to install one of them (other 3 were free)

$85 for the starter plus $50 to install the second defect

$60 for front pads (late night AZ purchase by a friend who thought I was going to keep it long term)

I did check the truck out when I bought it, I just didn't pull the tire to see the caliper issue as the brakes felt fine.

It ran rough, but I just assumed it was a rough running motor, not a miss (which really isn't a big deal).

The stupid side of me didn't check the tires. Starter was going when I looked at it, and I knew it had no speakers, but didn't catch the horn issue until after I bought it.

The tire carrier was off the truck when I bought it so didn't know it was seized.

Live and learn.

I'm sure I will get something better, this truck was an anomaly in my car history.

normally I buy a car, drive it for a while and sell it for a profit. if it wasn't for the dam starter I would have made money on it in the long run.

Edited by here4now

Sorry to hear, but that's quite a laundry list of issues to overcome. I can see why you didn't try to address them.

Thats why I'll pay a more for a vehicle with few/no known problems. and use that as a base.

As for underpowered, yeah, some people complain about that... :shrug:

Best of luck and maybe see you in the future. :beer:

B

I'm used to buying cheaper cars that need work and having the work done, but 6 months ago I lost my work space so I haven't quite gotten out of that mentality yet.

I am looking at a 93 maxima SE, but it has 2 misses. it's nothing new to me though, I've had 4 of them so far :D doubt I'll get it though, it needs brakes/brake lines, plus a battery plus most likely 2 injectors.

time to keep looking

$500 ain't bad for what you got...at least ya didnt really loose a whole lot of $ on it

the horn may have been an easy fix (mine quit working when the lil copper electrode wore down and I put some washers under the contractor ring to make it contact again)

I know a guy who got an 88 for 2 beer bottle tops (b.c thats what was in his pocket) he hated the truck but it was a good stand in for his WRX since hew as going on his 5th engine (the guy building it was a moron but replaced all of them for free) he's now had the truck for 3 years and still will not give it up for anything even though he bashed it for a while and it looks like a huge red turd with creased sheet metal all around

$500 ain't bad for what you got...at least ya didnt really loose a whole lot of $ on it

the horn may have been an easy fix (mine quit working when the lil copper electrode wore down and I put some washers under the contractor ring to make it contact again)

I know a guy who got an 88 for 2 beer bottle tops (b.c thats what was in his pocket) he hated the truck but it was a good stand in for his WRX since hew as going on his 5th engine (the guy building it was a moron but replaced all of them for free) he's now had the truck for 3 years and still will not give it up for anything even though he bashed it for a while and it looks like a huge red turd with creased sheet metal all around

I lost $80. I haven't lost that kind of money on a car in a while :( typically I make money on my cars.

at least part of my horn issue was that there was no plastic under the pad. :eek:

oh, just an FYI to all, the 92 G20 steering wheel looks identical to the 94 Pathfinder steering wheel except for the Infiniti logo in the center.

Heck sorry to see you go over that. Mine had a shopping list of issues but that's just me. Good luck on your next automotive adventure. Maby next one will keep you hanging around for longer than a month.

$80 isnt bad...a coworker just lost about $2k on a mustang that he couldn't get smogged in CA

true, it's not bad for most people. beats out the loss from buying a newer car :)

Heck sorry to see you go over that. Mine had a shopping list of issues but that's just me. Good luck on your next automotive adventure. Maby next one will keep you hanging around for longer than a month.

it has usability issues that I didn't realize / think about when I bought it.

it is highly unlikely I'll be back in this section. newer one maybe when they get down to $500 :-P

Not to be rude or anything but you get what you pay for. You can't expect to buy any car for $500 and expect it to be perfect can you?

I would expect just as many problems as you stated or more when purchasing a $500 car/truck. Unless you were just by chance very lucky.

Just my .02

Not to be rude or anything but you get what you pay for. You can't expect to buy any car for $500 and expect it to be perfect can you?

I would expect just as many problems as you stated or more when purchasing a $500 car/truck. Unless you were just by chance very lucky.

Just my .02

VERY inaccurate statement when it comes to buying cars.

I buy and sell cars fairly frequently, and most of them are of the $500 variety. typically they need a CV axle and some a good cleaning for them to be good to go. sometimes more, but not all that often.

in June I bought a 94 Dodge Caravan for $300. Do you know what it needed? a drivers seat and an A/C recharge. If it hadn't been totaled in an accident I'd still be happily driving it. it came with ALL the paperwork from BRAND new. and it ran perfectly.

No offence man but you sound like the person I would NOT want to but a car from. Slapping a set of pads and a quick shot with a shop vac doesn't make a $500 beater worth $800.

No offence man but you sound like the person I would NOT want to but a car from. Slapping a set of pads and a quick shot with a shop vac doesn't make a $500 beater worth $800.

actually around here the difference between a $500 car and an $800 car is whether or not it needs brakes and how fast you buy it. if you are quick you get it for $500 if not it gets sold by someone else for $800.

Just before Christmas I bought another 95 pathy, for 100 dollars. The body and interior are mint and it runs great. Only 2 problems that I see, cracked frame and the rear tires are bald, but the fronts are new. But hey, even if i don't fix it up, I can throw the nice leathers into my XE pathy and have a bunch of spare parts, rather than spending the 340 the JY wanted for a full set of leathers.

I had been eying the truck for a while, and when I talked to the owner I bought it almost instantly.

Just before Christmas I bought another 95 pathy, for 100 dollars. The body and interior are mint and it runs great. Only 2 problems that I see, cracked frame and the rear tires are bald, but the fronts are new. But hey, even if i don't fix it up, I can throw the nice leathers into my XE pathy and have a bunch of spare parts, rather than spending the 340 the JY wanted for a full set of leathers.

I had been eying the truck for a while, and when I talked to the owner I bought it almost instantly.

Good score there, the tires are worth more than that, basicly what I did for a grey interior(just did it backwards) and ended up with a running,self propelled storage shed that can keep on giving.

Good score there, the tires are worth more than that, basicly what I did for a grey interior(just did it backwards) and ended up with a running,self propelled storage shed that can keep on giving.

It's also a loaded SE. Things I could sell are:

tire carrier

roof rack

cd player

keyless remotes

fender flares

trailer hitch

chrome bumpers

rear spoiler

leather seats and interior

new front tires

a 4 lego rims

I'm getting it fixed in the spring though. I want my current 95 to become the wheeler cause I don't want my DD to be, well, wheeled.

sorry about the :jacked:

Edited by adamzan